Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I took an Uber in Chicago early Friday afternoon, and much to my surprise the charge was included in the billing cycle closing the same evening, hopefully a good sign for my THC reservation made this morning.
I see just now that a $200 credit has been posted following the charge being posted yesterday. The app's hotel credit says "Total received this year: $0.00", so perhaps I did make it for last year's credit.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Absolutely - things could and maybe should work out. I was just suggesting some back-up.
Was going to update that the FHR charge posted with a 12/31 date and the $200 credit posted yesterday with date of 1/1 but did not use my 2024 credit according to the meter which says $0 used.

Also did an FHR booking on my spouse's Plat on 12/31 and it also posted with that date but interestingly no credit yet.
radiolarian likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
My gut says YES. Jan 1 is 2024 and I successfully got reimbursed in 2023 for airline charges made on January 1st.
With that said, I just made a couple FHR reservations today, utilizing 2 separate Platinum cards for 2 separate properties.
I'll let you know what happens in 1-2 weeks...hopefully.
Both $200 credits posted yesterday.
​​
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:06 am

I unfortunately wasn't so lucky with my booking made evening of 12/31. Rep is saying it's based off posting date (1/1) for the booking to be considered fully processed.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Was going to update that the FHR charge posted with a 12/31 date and the $200 credit posted yesterday with date of 1/1 but did not use my 2024 credit according to the meter which says $0 used.

Also did an FHR booking on my spouse's Plat on 12/31 and it also posted with that date but interestingly no credit yet.
I also played it close and got the 12/31 posting date, with credit on 1/1. And I checked the meter, too.🍀

It was booked on 12/29, shortly before midnight. Close one.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by radiolarian
I also played it close and got the 12/31 posting date, with credit on 1/1. And I checked the meter, too.🍀

It was booked on 12/29, shortly before midnight. Close one.
I also waited until the last day. I booked a stay around 9 pm on 12/31, the charge was posted shortly after and I have received the credit- dated 1/1/24 . The dashboard shows $ 0 benefit used in 2024.
radiolarian likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I made an FHR reservation last year & used my 2023 credit. I just repriced it & it's fallen by $160. Is there a way for Amex to refund the difference? Or would I have to cancel & rebook & thus lose my 2024 $200 credit?

Last edited by BA_Jfan; Jan 7, 2024 at 7:52 am
Old Jan 6, 2024, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I made an FHR reservation last year & used my 2022 credit. I just repriced it & it's fallen by $160. Is there a way for Amex to refund the difference? Or would I have to cancel & rebook & thus lose my 2023 $200 credit?
In my experience, Amex won't usually claw back the FHR credit if you cancel an FHR reservation and rebook within 1-2 days, However, when I cancel, I usually rebook within a day or less. With that said, I don't know how it would work with your situation because, as you stated, canceling and rebooking could cause your 2024 to be used.
​​

If I was in your situation, I think I would make a new, fully refundbale FHR reservation, for November/December 2024, or as far into the future as possible. You may be able to find a property like the Roosevelt in New Orleans or the Palazzo or Crockfords in Las Vegas that routinely go for $200-$400. Wait for the 2024 credit to be applied.

Then you should be safe to cancel and rebook your old reservation and save $160.00. If you do it immediatly, I don't think Amex will claw it back.

At some point, you can cancel your other FHR reservation and rebook at a place you actually want to stay.
Good Luck.
friedablass, ZenFlyer and MaxVO like this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Jan 7, 2024 at 9:53 am
Old Jan 6, 2024, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
In my experience, Amex won't usually claw back the FHR credit if you cancel an FHR reservation and rebook within 1-2 days, However, when I cancel, I usually rebook within a day or less. With that said, I don't know how it would work with your situation because, as you stated, canceling and rebooking could cause your 2023 credit to be used.

If I was in your situation, I think I would make a new, fully refundbale FHR reservation, for November/December 2024, or as far into the future as possible. You may be able to find a property like the Roosevelt in New Orleans or the Palazzo or Crockfords in Las Vegas that routinely go for $200-$400. Wait for the 2024 credit to be applied.

Then you should be safe to cancel and rebook your old reservation and save $160.00. If you do it immediatly, I don't think Amex will claw it back.

At some point, you can cancel your other FHR reservation and rebook at a place you actually want to stay.
Good Luck.
This is a clever strategy. I've also had the experience of cancelling and rebooking the same hotel (or same city) within a few days' time and not having the credit clawed back. Fwiw, an Amex Travel rep I spoke with at the time also told me this is the way the system is designed to work. Good luck!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I made an FHR reservation last year & used my 2022 credit. I just repriced it & it's fallen by $160. Is there a way for Amex to refund the difference? Or would I have to cancel & rebook & thus lose my 2023 $200 credit?
I thought I read on FrequentMiler a few months ago that you can modify these FHR reservations now. And if you change the date, the $200 credit will remain, but your CC will be charged more if your new dates have a higher price, or your CC will be partially refunded if the new dates have a lower price. I assume if you CAN'T pick the very same dates to cause a re-price, then at the very least you can just change the date to a different date, and then change back to your original date. Yes, will require jumping thru another small hoop, but worth a few extra keystrokes for a $160 savings.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
I called Amex to see if they would be able to do it by phone & manually apply the credit if it got lost. They said that the credit application is automatic & they have no ability to manually reapply if I lose it.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Have you considered the suggestion in post 880? https://frequentmiler.com/you-can-no...ction-booking/
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Have you considered the suggestion in post 880? https://frequentmiler.com/you-can-no...ction-booking/
Yup. I tried a few date variations and the room type was sold out for all of them. Perhaps I should try a few more.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:17 am

Update: I just found some dates that work, so I changed the reservation. When I went to change back, the room I had was gone. And unfortunately modification doesn't allow you to change room type. So I just cancelled the reservation and made a new booking cause I didn't want to lose the room. Hoping post #879 is right and they won't claw back. It's frustrating how unfriendly the process is. Especially because half the point of booking a refundable reservation is that your plans may change, or that you want flexibility to reprice if the price falls.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:38 pm

I have a question - apologize if this has been asked before. In 2023 I made a 3 FHR reservations. I received the $200 credit after making the first reservation. I now want to cancel that first reservation. Will AMEX take back the $200 credit I received last year or see that I have two other FHR reservations made last year and let me keep it?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.