Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Related discussion here: Report clawbacks of the FHR/THC $200 credit.

Terms and FAQ

Which charges are eligible?
  • Reservation must be pre-paid to be reimbursed.
  • Pre-paids with a flexible cancellation policy are still eligible.
  • Hotel rates under $200 are also reimbursed.
  • If using Pay With Points, the cash portion of your charge is still eligible.
  • Charges made at the hotel are not billed by Amex Travel and are not eligible.
  • When checking in, the terms require payment with an Amex which need not be a platinum Amex.
  • Browse Hotels here
When:​​​​​​
  • Benefit renews every January 1st.
  • The $200 credit is based on the year you made the booking, not the year of the stay. You can use it this year to book a room for next year.
  • Amex in general handles offers by the transaction date, not post date. For example, a 12/31/22 transaction date is eligible for 2022 credits even if posted in 2023.
Changes and Cancellations:
  • If you cancel a reservation, the $200 credit is reversed. The credit will be available to use again if you cancelled in the same year you paid.
  • In general you can't modify reservation dates and need to cancel and rebook to change dates.
  • "If you need to change your hotel booking, you must either cancel and rebook your reservation or call us for assistance."
  • If you use the benefit for a future stay and cancel that Amex platinum card prior to your stay, Amex is not known to claw back the $200. You will still need to check-in with some other Amex.
Other:
  • The $200 credit sometimes posts in a few days, but sometimes 3 weeks or longer.
  • To know your remaining $200 balance, ask Amex. There's no meter on the website. There is now a meter on the website which shows your usage against $200
  • If your platinum account has additional cardholders with a gold card, charges on the gold card are eligible. Not clear if they enforce the requirement that the platinum cardholder must be on the reservation.
  • Terms of the FH&R $100 credit.
  • Separate thread regarding elite benefits on stays.
Print Wikipost

Amex $200 Hotel Credit (FHR or THC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2022, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm guessing that the part I bolded means that both cards belong to the same account - in which case it is evident that they're after the additional $100 property credit by booking each night separately, because they wouldn't get another $200 FHR credit as that is only given once per account.
There's another reason to break a stay into multiple that might be especially relevant this week: double dipping the 2022 credit and 2023 credit for a single stay.
lax01 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, AA ExecPlat
Booked a Hotel Collection (2 nights) a week ago. Got the $200 credit on Amex personal platinum. Cancelled when price went down, and rebooked a few days ago. Refund of the original hotel posted, and then new charge posted for the new lower price. But the $200 was clawed back. Worry? Or will they repost a $200 credit for the new reservation?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by psiachp
Booked a Hotel Collection (2 nights) a week ago. Got the $200 credit on Amex personal platinum. Cancelled when price went down, and rebooked a few days ago. Refund of the original hotel posted, and then new charge posted for the new lower price. But the $200 was clawed back. Worry? Or will they repost a $200 credit for the new reservation?
You might have to call in.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Does anyone have any experience cancelling an FHR booking made by a card in a previous year that has since been cancelled? Did they still claw back any credit and/or did you still get some of the refund?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Does anyone have any experience cancelling an FHR booking made by a card in a previous year that has since been cancelled? Did they still claw back any credit and/or did you still get some of the refund?
Are you canceling it this year? If you do, it SHOULD get clawed back and you have no way of getting it back.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Enigma368
In this boat right now...

November 2022 I made a FHR booking at Crockford's for March 2023
Got the $200 annual FHR + $200 when spending $850 offer

Now I want to cancel but I'm wondering if they will clawback 200, 400, or nothing...
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Are you canceling it this year? If you do, it SHOULD get clawed back and you have no way of getting it back.
I think OP is asking if there are any DPs that suggest it doesn't get clawbacked
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
I think OP is asking if there are any DPs that suggest it doesn't get clawbacked
Yeah exactly. My experience with Amex on other offers e.g. Saks $50, specific store spend bonuses etc. is that Amex sometimes catches returns etc. and claws credits back but more often than not does not catch them, esp if the return amount is slightly different or there is a long gap between purchase and return.

For the FHR $200 it seems like they are more 100% on the ball with catching cancellations and clawing credits back but curious if they might miss doing that on a cancelled card.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:31 am

can anyone help confirm DPs about last min FHR bookings in 2022 but the txn posting in 2023? which credit is used? 2022 or 23? agents says posting date matters. DPs on forums is YMMV. but im pretty sure ive seen many pple do 12/31 purchases for credits like FHR / Airline / Dell and still counts for prior year despite posting date.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
can anyone help confirm DPs about last min FHR bookings in 2022 but the txn posting in 2023? which credit is used? 2022 or 23? agents says posting date matters. DPs on forums is YMMV. but im pretty sure ive seen many pple do 12/31 purchases for credits like FHR / Airline / Dell and still counts for prior year despite posting date.
Check your benefit meter. That's the best indicator.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
Cant speak for FHR directly but for Dell/Airline/Saks/dining credits, it is the same quarter/month/year as the transaction made. And I reckon the mechanism is the same for FHR.

So in your example if the transaction date is Dec 31, 2022, but transaction posted in Jan 2023 and credit paid out in 2023, it should be the 2022 FHR credit.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Check your benefit meter. That's the best indicator.
yea. thats a good suggestion, but it could be slow to update. thats why im asking. obv i could wait several weeks and see.

online still shows 0. so i think im OK.
Total received this year: $0.00

Originally Posted by mynameisdmoon
Cant speak for FHR directly but for Dell/Airline/Saks/dining credits, it is the same quarter/month/year as the transaction made. And I reckon the mechanism is the same for FHR.

So in your example if the transaction date is Dec 31, 2022, but transaction posted in Jan 2023 and credit paid out in 2023, it should be the 2022 FHR credit.
thank you. thats what i was expecting as well. its based on txn date vs posting date. altho its much safer to just post in 2022.

however, FYI, the amex terms are very clear on this policy:
Eligible bookings must be processed before December 31st, 11:59PM Central Time, each calendar year to be eligible for statement credits within that year. American Express relies on the merchant to process transactions within the same calendar year that you made the prepaid booking in order to apply the statement credit in the calendar year that it was intended. For example, if you make an eligible prepaid booking on the last day of the year, but the merchant doesn't process that transaction until the next day, then the statement credit available in the next calendar year will be applied to the Card Account, if the purchase is eligible.

fortunately, we all know TCs vs reality are often different.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 10:35 am

Another data point, in regards to timing of the credit:
12/26 - FHR reservation made for Peninsula Manila
12/27 - Transaction posted
01/02 - Received $200 credit
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WN CP, Hilton GoId, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Citi, Barclay, Chase, Amex, CapOne
Got a weird one...

1/1 Book Intercon LJU (FHR, prepaid) for July 2023 Stay (Cost $291)
Redeemed 9,000 points at point of sale to remove $90
The $90 statement credit posted right away.

However, the $291 FHR reservation never posted... not pending, not anything. I am positive I selected PAY NOW (prepaid), I am positive I used the correct Amex card, and I'm positive the statement credit posted on 1/1 (it was pending for a couple days, and then posted properly). Here's my conundrum:

I need to cancel this card at the end of January. Do I call Amex Travel and alert them to the error? Would they even have the capability to fix this? Or will this charge one day post long after I've closed the card, and I'll be on the hook for $200 billed later, and since the card is canceled, no FHR credit? Or will my reservation at this property eventually be cancelled due to non-payment if the charge posts later?

The confirmation email I received from Amex Travel shows that it was a prepaid reservation, as well. Thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by orca1114
...The confirmation email I received from Amex Travel shows that it was a prepaid reservation, as well. Thoughts?
Get the booking status directly from the hotel, and have them confirm that they're fully prepaid. Amex is notorious for slow accounting and backdating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.