Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Card: 12 Months of Eats Pass for Free

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I've tried all my Amex cards and none of them work any longer. I'm out of the country it was working perfectly and then last month it stopped. Well, at least it worked for a little while. I just pay for an UberPass here and it gives free delivery on UberEats and Cornershop. So, not that bad overall. I'll be back in the US in a few months and I'll see if it starts working there.
they clearly just rolled out this stupid silent update to limit benefit scope w/ the marriott pts promo. looks like you have to use a US plat/gold/green within the US for it to work. still asking around for more tests, but looks like its still being rolled out. not sure of the criteria. but like you said, now we need to get our own independent eatspass because any bank sponsored passes will now require the use of their cards.

EDIT:
here are the terms for location:
"Offer available on Uber Eats Pass Subscriptions in the U.S., except in Northern Mariana, American Samoa, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands, for eligible deliveries in U.S. cities where Uber Eats is available"

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Huh. You're right. I used this yesterday, no problem. I just did a dummy order, and when I got to checkout there was a green box that said, "Use eligible Amex card to receive EatsPass benefits on this order." They didn't bother giving us any warning of that, did they?
exactly. same here. you cant even do the paypal linked with amex plat for the UEP to work. it doesnt recognize the CC linked to paypal for obvious reasons. so you have to use amex plat directly to buy food at 1x unless its gold/green. cant even use other amex CCs. yea right. pass. now the UEP is useless to me. i value other pts more than the 5% cash discount.

EDIT: actually, i guess using amex gold at 4x food is pretty good.
dw likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 15, 2021 at 2:07 am
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I just got an Amex Plat earlier this month. The Uber app showed me the banner advertising the complimentary 12-month EatsPass subscription, but then when I clicked on it, a screen appeared saying that it was not available to me. Called Amex and one of the trouble-shooting things they had me do was delete all of my methods of payment on the Uber app except for my Plat. That didn't work but I contacted Uber Support and the problem resolved itself (I never received an acknowledgment or reply from Uber but perhaps they did something on the back end, not sure). So I am now enrolled in EatsPass.

I then try to add back my other credit cards that I use for Uber and for each of them Uber tells me, "There's a Payment Issue. Sorry, we are unable to accept your card. Please try adding a different one." These are the same cards I already had listed as methods of payment this morning but deleted during the call with Amex. I sent a chat message to Uber Support but again, no acknowledgment or reply. I'll see what happens over the next few days--has anyone encountered an issue like this? Thanks for any input.
1) server side sync takes a very long time. you tried too quickly to add amex plat after approval. takes several weeks. sometimes its much quicker like the uber credits.

2) when you try to add/remove CC too quickly, fraud prevention kicks in. its very sensitive. you have add/remove slowly. once a day helps.

What a surprise when I opened my app today. I've never seen this before, but UberEats now delivers groceries even from Costco, stuff from home improvement stores, home and bedding stores, corner gas convience stations,liquor stores, beauty shops, flower shops, pharmacies and more, etc. It looks like the delivery and packing fees come to about $5.00 No tipping or anything else. I'm in Mexico. Also, there's a place to insert your shoppers card memership number for each store when you order so you are credited. Has UberEats had this service before and I'm just seeing it???? I was using Rappi before until their app kept crashing. I'm going to look through the app to see if there's a membership for this specific service so maybe they will eliminate the service/delivery fee. But, $5.00 isn't bad when you buy a lot of stuff and don't want to go inside a covid infected store. lol
YMMV based on location. scope works just like instacart. everything depends on your local market demo. certain markets have different uber features activated.

Now my Amex UberEats pass is not working again. It stopped working before and mysteriously started working again, and now it's not working again Urrghh
youre using US amex plat/gold/green right? try within US next time.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
wow. PSA. now must pay with Amex CC for Eats Pass benefits to work. wasnt required yesterday.
Doesn't work with Uber Cash either?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by econ
Doesn't work with Uber Cash either?
works with uber cash just fine. you just have to use amex plat/gold/green as the default CC payment source. if youre strictly using amex credits only, then its not a big deal, but you still have to pay any overages with the amex. for most people who just want to use their monthly amex credits, its not a big change. but lets say you have $5 uber credits left and your meal is $20. you have to pay the extra $15 with an amex plat/gold/green. you can no longer use another CC to get the UEP discounts. for some, thats huge because of free delivery. and what if you only have plat? thats 1x for food. that would suck.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
1) server side sync takes a very long time. you tried too quickly to add amex plat after approval. takes several weeks. sometimes its much quicker like the uber credits.

2) when you try to add/remove CC too quickly, fraud prevention kicks in. its very sensitive. you have add/remove slowly. once a day helps.

YMMV based on location. scope works just like instacart. everything depends on your local market demo. certain markets have different uber features activated.

youre using US amex plat/gold/green right? try within US next time.
Yes. I'm using Plat and Green. I'll try it in the US again.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:11 am

Yes. I'm using Plat and Green. I'll try it in the US again.
yea. im sure it will be fine within the US. here are the terms for location:
"Offer available on Uber Eats Pass Subscriptions in the U.S., except in Northern Mariana, American Samoa, Guam and U.S. Virgin Islands, for eligible deliveries in U.S. cities where Uber Eats is available"
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
wow. PSA. now must pay with Amex CC for Eats Pass benefits to work. wasnt required yesterday.

EDIT:
the official terms on the website added new language. wasnt there before (wayback machine):

"Use your enrolled American Express Card to place your Uber Eats orders"
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/campaigns/uber

im sure Doc will cover it soon
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-...ss-cardholders
Yep. A couple of thoughts with this...

1) The Chase / DoorDash and Caviar benefit works the same way - you have to use a Chase card to get the benefit

2) However I am sure Amex noticed people getting the benefit of the Uber Pass and using other cards. That’s how I use it - since I got my Apple Card I have generally paid Uber (both rides and Eats) using the Apple Card via Apple Pay. Instant 3% cash back

3) Amex is really doing a lot to try to encourage/force people to spend on their cards, usually by tying them to benefits instead of multipliers. Uber Eats Pass, Cell Phone Insurance, etc. interesting model.

4) I am without an Amex Gold this year as I took an upgrade offer on it. But these changes suggest I will probably get a Gold again (I think I will apply for Green later this year and upgrade to Gold next year) as you need one of those cards to earn more MR. Amex doesn’t seem interested in improving the earnings on the Amex Platinum
Old Apr 15, 2021, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yep. A couple of thoughts with this...

1) The Chase / DoorDash and Caviar benefit works the same way - you have to use a Chase card to get the benefit

2) However I am sure Amex noticed people getting the benefit of the Uber Pass and using other cards. That’s how I use it - since I got my Apple Card I have generally paid Uber (both rides and Eats) using the Apple Card via Apple Pay. Instant 3% cash back

3) Amex is really doing a lot to try to encourage/force people to spend on their cards, usually by tying them to benefits instead of multipliers. Uber Eats Pass, Cell Phone Insurance, etc. interesting model.

4) I am without an Amex Gold this year as I took an upgrade offer on it. But these changes suggest I will probably get a Gold again (I think I will apply for Green later this year and upgrade to Gold next year) as you need one of those cards to earn more MR. Amex doesn’t seem interested in improving the earnings on the Amex Platinum
good points. as you said, amex noticed nobody paying for ubereats with their amex. maybe only gold users due to 4x, but now there are way more plats with all these insane SUBs. if you get the green later this year, make sure to get all the normal amex CCs you want because the green is counted as part of the 4 or 5 max amex CCs. i assume if you upgrade to gold then maybe its no longer included. YMMV.

Amex counting the Green Card as a credit product?

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 15, 2021 at 1:17 pm
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
yea. im sure it will be fine within the US. here are the terms for location:
Yes. I used it in the US....it worked just fine in Arizona but not Los Angeles for whatever reason. Then it worked in Mexico, then stopped working, then started working and stopped again. I'll be back in Arizona, so it should work. The terms can say one thing, but the app does it's own thing, and I always use Amex cards (green or plat) to order depending where I'm located.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:00 pm

Yes. I used it in the US....it worked just fine in Arizona but not Los Angeles for whatever reason. Then it worked in Mexico, then stopped working, then started working and stopped again. I'll be back in Arizona, so it should work. The terms can say one thing, but the app does it's own thing, and I always use Amex cards (green or plat) to order depending where I'm located.
thats super interesting. appreciate the info. what was the error message? or the discount just stopped working and didnt apply which forced you to pay full price?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Perfect timing as Marriott just​​​ announced a bonus of 2000 points for using their card with Ubereats! ​​
Old Apr 15, 2021, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Perfect timing as Marriott just​​​ announced a bonus of 2000 points for using their card with Ubereats! ​​
i dont get it. what 2k bonus related to using the marriott CC w/ UE? the marriott UE promo that was released with the partnership only mentions spending $25+. but yes, the silent amex updates were definitely tied to the marriott UE partnership.

https://uber.marriott.com/en-us

Terms and Conditions
*This bonus is a one-time offer that is open to all members of the Marriott Bonvoy™ loyalty program (each, a “Marriott Bonvoy Member”) who have not yet linked a Marriott Bonvoy account and Uber account. To qualify for and earn this limited time offer, a Marriott Bonvoy Member must (i) link his/her Marriott Bonvoy account on the Uber app, and (ii) after linking his/her Marriott Bonvoy account, complete a Qualifying Transaction by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on May 31, 2021. A “Qualifying Transaction” means (i) a ride taken with Uber XL, Uber Black, Uber SUV or Uber Comfort; or (ii) an order placed through Uber Eats in an amount of $25 U.S. dollars or more after the calculation of any applicable promotions or discounts (excluding taxes, fees, and tips), in each case, that occurs in the United States. Please see complete program terms and conditions, guidelines and restrictions. Please allow six to eight weeks from completion of the Qualifying Transaction for bonus points to appear in member’s Marriott Bonvoy Account. Other limitations may apply. Terms and conditions are subject to change.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:31 pm

thats super interesting. appreciate the info. what was the error message? or the discount just stopped working and didnt apply which forced you to pay full price?
I don't think there was an error message, I just couldn't use, and i don't recall what it said, maybe like out of area. I discussed the problem earlier in this thread. And that new Uber/Marriot offer won't help me because I'm not in the US and when I do go it will be after the bonus offer and only for 14 days in Arizona.

I've changed addresses to one in the US, trying to reboot it on the Uber and UberEats and it still doesn't work. But, I only pay $5.00 per month for a UberPass in Mexico and I get 10% off rides, Free Cornershop Grocery Delivery, and Free UberEats delivery. So, not bad at all.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
2000 point Marriott Uber Eats offer

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...r-partnership/
Old Apr 16, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
works with uber cash just fine. you just have to use amex plat/gold/green as the default CC payment source. if youre strictly using amex credits only, then its not a big deal, but you still have to pay any overages with the amex. for most people who just want to use their monthly amex credits, its not a big change. but lets say you have $5 uber credits left and your meal is $20. you have to pay the extra $15 with an amex plat/gold/green. you can no longer use another CC to get the UEP discounts. for some, thats huge because of free delivery. and what if you only have plat? thats 1x for food. that would suck.
Does it only allow Uber Cash from AmEx credits? If not, then I suppose one can still use Uber Cash as a (still slightly less than ideal) workaround, since it can be funded with a card that earns bonus spend, or with discounted gift cards.
Points Scrounger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.