Search

Amex Card: 12 Months of Eats Pass for Free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2020, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Everywhere, except California 😂
Worked for me, but then again I'm not sure Berkeley is part of California. It might be its own sovereign nation.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Worked for me and I live in SoCal.

I think there may be some confusion in this thread re: Uber Pass vs. Eats Pass.
Did you actually order food? If so, I have no clue what's going on ☹️
Old Nov 4, 2020, 5:48 pm

Maybe your Mexico-related pass is not the same as Eats Pass in the U.S.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Maybe your Mexico-related pass is not the same as Eats Pass in the U.S.
I have a "Eats Pass" in the US and a "Uber Pass" in Mexico. I just can't use the EATS PASS in the US for some reason. I received the confirmation email from Uber that says the Amex Eats Pass is active. Oh well, I tried.onths of Eats Pass has started. You can now order like a regular with $0 Delivery Fee pl
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Yes. I signed up for the "free" Eats Pass and ordered food shortly thereafter.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Seems like a lot of effort to "save money" by eating out more and spending more. All while balancing apps, memberships, and credits.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Seems like a lot of effort to "save money" by eating out more and spending more.
This statement makes a lot of assumptions about other people's behavior on the basis of scant evidence. This type of benefit doesn't cost you anything if you choose not to use it.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 9:15 am

Seems like a lot of effort to "save money" by eating out more and spending more. All while balancing apps, memberships, and credits.
Actually, the benefit saves me money because I'm always in travel mode and don't have a vehicle, and where I'm at right now only has a liquor store across the street that has sky high expensive "Swanson Hungry Man frozen dinners" that are full of sodium. UberEats I can order a variety of food for less. And when I'm in Mexico I mainly use it for grocery shopping. Like beer, when I don't feel like walking to the store in the rain. I use this service as a necessity rather than a luxury 99% of the time.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 3:43 pm

It's practically zero effort and lots of saved money for those of us who already use Uber Eats regularly.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
This statement makes a lot of assumptions about other people's behavior on the basis of scant evidence. This type of benefit doesn't cost you anything if you choose not to use it.
Correct, the pass itself is free. This is obviously a nice perk if you use such services. This perk is really just an advertisement to get us to renew it in the future. Which in itself is spending more on food delivery. Beyond the group who normally use this, there's the other group, trying hard to squeeze every dollar of value. Did we really get here because we want to be advertised and sold new subscriptions?

The Shake Shack scenario above is a great example of the absurdity to many people. Double the price to get a product that is inferior to eating it there fresh. I'm not convinced there is enough evidence most travelers are craving to scarf down cold food in their hotel. Obviously, some will and certain dishes it works better than others. Also, it is a market with demand that is growing. For some, it makes a lot of sense. It will never be mainstream though. We used to want these cards for a unique experience. We've come from lounge access to this? Now we're just here to prepay random stuff chosen for us, with the hope that we can get a little bit more of "free value". Battle me all you want, but one day, you'll realize it.

This is just one person's opinion of why I don't hold the Platinum card. Aside from the biggest reason of my home airport not having a Centurion, I'm just not interested in balancing credits and perks to force value and "break even". The Aspire on the other hand, has an actual purpose. It gives me a solid experience with my Hilton hotel stays, without having to align the planets to build value.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 10:22 am

Correct, the pass itself is free. This is obviously a nice perk if you use such services. This perk is really just an advertisement to get us to renew it in the future. Which in itself is spending more on food delivery. Beyond the group who normally use this, there's the other group, trying hard to squeeze every dollar of value. Did we really get here because we want to be advertised and sold new subscriptions?

The Shake Shack scenario above is a great example of the absurdity to many people. Double the price to get a product that is inferior to eating it there fresh. I'm not convinced there is enough evidence most travelers are craving to scarf down cold food in their hotel. Obviously, some will and certain dishes it works better than others. Also, it is a market with demand that is growing. For some, it makes a lot of sense. It will never be mainstream though. We used to want these cards for a unique experience. We've come from lounge access to this? Now we're just here to prepay random stuff chosen for us, with the hope that we can get a little bit more of "free value". Battle me all you want, but one day, you'll realize it.

This is just one person's opinion of why I don't hold the Platinum card. Aside from the biggest reason of my home airport not having a Centurion, I'm just not interested in balancing credits and perks to force value and "break even". The Aspire on the other hand, has an actual purpose. It gives me a solid experience with my Hilton hotel stays, without having to align the planets to build value.
My shake shack example was excellent by the way. I was given $15.00 by Amex to buy this or lose the $15.00 since I'm hardly ever in the US. I eat healthy when I want, and when I don't, I eat something I like with a beer. It's called choices, and it's my choice, just like your choice not to have a platinium card. Cheers🍺
Old Nov 7, 2020, 11:57 am

Everywhere, except California 😂
Works for me in NorCal
Old Nov 8, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Here's an order I was going to place, but no discounts because I can't use the UberPass.
Over $8 of fees on a $12 order, lol. I always pickup to avoid this racket. It would be nice to use this money abroad but that would be too little breakage in AMEX's models.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 11:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
.... It does not, however, offer an explicit discount on the service fee.
Understood in principle, but in practice the Uber Eats app presents the savings as a discount of the fees, by striking through the Taxes and Fees total, and substituting a lower amount.

Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Over $8 of fees on a $12 order, lol. I always pickup to avoid this racket. It would be nice to use this money abroad but that would be too little breakage in AMEX's models.
I had a $15 credit from Amex and besides that I was at a LAX hotel with no vehicle. So, all was fine even if it had cost more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.