Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Card: 12 Months of Eats Pass for Free

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I got this earlier this week. Just go to the UberEats app and look for the announcement on the home page. If it's not there, just load an AMEX card to your UberEats account and go back in and check for the announcement again. If you're out of the country, just load a USA address for home and the USA app will appear with the announcement so you can enroll for 13 months. Then go back and add your international address. And everything is complete 👍
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
.... UberEats app ....
Food can be ordered using the primary Uber app. What would one want/need the separate Uber Eats app?
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mia
Food can be ordered using the primary Uber app. What would one want/need the separate Uber Eats app?
You are an extraordinary wealth of knowledge, so I tried this. When I click order food on Uber, it takes me to Uber Eats. I don't see how to order food without the Uber Eats app.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:34 am
mia

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You are an extraordinary wealth of knowledge, so I tried this. When I click order food on Uber, it takes me to Uber Eats. I don't see how to order food without the Uber Eats app.
I do not have the Uber Eats app installed, but choosing Food in the Uber app displays an Uber Eats splash screen, and I can order food. Just curious if installing the separate Uber Eats app adds any features? I can try it to see, but if I knew what to look for it would be helpful.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by mia
"My" Uber app only shows ride requests. I'm outside the US. I use UberEats app for food. No option on regular Uber app. Also, my $10 monthly Amex cash credit only usable on my account when I'm in the US. The app home page is totally different in the US. Also, in the US you can select a "favorite" driver. I can't do that here in Mexico. However, I can give the driver feedback on a clean car, excellent service, excellent route, good conversation etc.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:40 am
mia

I am using an Android phone. Perhaps the Android and iOS implementations of the apps are different?
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mia
I am using an Android phone. Perhaps the Android and iOS implementations of the apps are different?
In the US I can order food off the Uber app. But, outside the US I can't. I just used it at a hotel at the Tucson Airport and UberEats is on the actual UberRide app. But, not here in Mexico. So, I have a separate UberEats pass (this free one from Amex in the US) and the UberEats Pass from Mexico that cost about $5.50 each month.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Rather than continuing to guess, would it perhaps be quicker to just see if there is an Android specific version of UberEats, if yes, install it, then determine if you see any differences that merit using two apps?

Regards
Old Oct 29, 2020, 1:31 pm
mia

Originally Posted by scubadu
.... would it perhaps be quicker to just see if there is an Android specific version of UberEats, if yes, install it, then determine if you see any differences that merit using two apps?
I considered that:

Originally Posted by mia
I can try it to see, but if I knew what to look for it would be helpful.

Last edited by mia; Oct 29, 2020 at 2:49 pm
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Hmm. I had never noticed that a the Uber app on my iPad has an “order food” feature (admittedly I very rarely use Uber itself).

The main difference at least at the moment for me seems to be... UberEats app works, Uber app gives me this:

On Android it actually seems to work.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum / Hilton Diamond / MGM Gold
FYI - I was able to use my Uber app on my iPhone last February to order food with Uber Eats in Paris.
The AMEX promo is good for USA orders.

Last edited by ranran; Oct 29, 2020 at 7:29 pm
Old Oct 29, 2020, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've got only the Plat (when it comes to charge cards) and got this offer. I did not get an email and even in my app right now it says "Eats Pass -- 1 month free with subscription" but when you click on that the next screen has the 12 month offer.

I always forget to use my Uber (pre-COVID would just use it for actual Uber) so this in theory might help if it gets delivered and the 5% benefit is nice.

Overall UberEats isn't a huge value-add since I live in the RTP area and can easily drive to any restaurant I want and in most cases I can just order takeout and (a) get it faster than Uber Eats/Door Dash/etc. and (b) not pay the Uber Eats tax so when I do use it I just use it for pickup but you never know. If travel comes back within a year, this would be useful to me when I travel to big cities.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I signed up and set a reminder in my phone to cancel next October.

I probably won't use it since it's a $15 delivery, unlike $12 on DashPass unless this pandemic is over by then and I can travel again and use it in other cities.

Only time I use Uber Eats is for the $15 monthly benefit with Am Ex, and when I can travel again I will start using it on Regular Ubers again and the Doordash $60 benefit with Chase.

I have no issues picking up my own food and when I use these services I do pick up. The prices are always higher than if I call the restaurant myself since they jack the price up to help cover for the commissions the services charge.

Also, like dashpass, not every restaurant participates in in eats pass.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Oct 30, 2020 at 9:00 am
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I signed up and set a reminder in my phone to cancel next October.

Just turn off auto-renew - its in the Eat Pass settings
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Duke787
Overall UberEats isn't a huge value-add since I live in the RTP area and can easily drive to any restaurant I want and in most cases I can just order takeout and (a) get it faster than Uber Eats/Door Dash/etc. and (b) not pay the Uber Eats tax so when I do use it I just use it for pickup but you never know. If travel comes back within a year, this would be useful to me when I travel to big cities.
It’s not a huge value add; we order Uber Eats a couple of times a month and most of the time I am just too lazy to pick up the food myself (I mostly do that when we order from places that don’t partake in any of the delivery services). So it will save us a few bucks here and there.

And then I can use the Chase Peloton credit to work off the calories again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.