Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This appears to be rolling "targeted" $200 travel credit for travel expenses booked directly through AmEx Travel. This offer will be added by more and more Platinum cardholders. It is uncertain what the criteria to when this offer will be added. It appears eventually all Platinum cardholders will receive this credit offer.

Terms of $200 travel statement credit:

For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew April 2020 through July 2020, this offer will be available starting August 1, 2020. For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021, this offer will be available starting on the first day of your Card renewal month.

When you book travel through American Express Travel online at amextravel.com or by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card, you can earn up to $200 in statement credits for eligible travel purchases made with your eligible Platinum Card. You must have a booking with American Express Travel, made on or after the offer start date with your eligible Platinum Card, for your purchase(s) to be eligible for the credit. Statement credit(s) may not be received or may be reversed if the eligible purchase(s) or booking(s) are returned or cancelled. Both booking(s) and charge(s) for eligible travel must be made by 12/31/2021 to receive the credit(s). Eligible travel purchases include purchases of airfare, hotel, flight + hotel packages, cruise reservations, car rentals, and tours made with your eligible Platinum Card, minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include purchases of timeshare properties, group reservations or events, ticketing services, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Purchases by Additional Card Members are not eligible for statement credits. Credits or rewards you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this offer.

Please allow up to 90 days after an eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Call the number on the back of your Card if statement credit(s) have not posted by that time. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as eligible for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit(s). To be eligible for this offer, you must have a US consumer Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer. To continue to be eligible for the offer, you must maintain the Platinum Card that was solicited for this offer for the full offer period, or until you have earned and received the full amount of the offer credit if sooner. To receive the credit(s) your Platinum Card Account(s) must be not canceled and not past due at the time of statement credit(s) fulfillment. If a charge for an eligible purchase is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account, the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc., when acting solely as a sales agent for travel suppliers, is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so, we may not credit the offer to, we may freeze the offer credited to, or we may take away the offer from your Account.
​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Targeted: $200 "Amex Travel" credit for personal Platinum, use by 6/30/2022.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Why now? The offer was targeted and temporary.....
The offer is ongoing: For eligible Platinum Card Accounts that renew August 2020 through March 2021
dhuey and Gasolin like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dhuey
I now see the $200 Amex Travel credit offer when I log in for my Platinum account, and also for my wife's (lower-right of the screen). September is the month of our renewals, and I think this probably appeared as of yesterday. So far we have not received any emails about this, but it looks like we're eligible for the promo.
I did not get this offer on my card and renewal month was last month. Have had the card over a year. I wonder if it is because I had already used the $200 airline credit. Has anyone who had used the airline credit gotten the travel credit also?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Enigma368
I did not get this offer on my card and renewal month was last month. Have had the card over a year. I wonder if it is because I had already used the $200 airline credit. Has anyone who had used the airline credit gotten the travel credit also?
Yes. I used the airline credit at the beginning of the year and received the $200 travel credit and used that too on August 1.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Yes. I used the airline credit at the beginning of the year and received the $200 travel credit and used that too on August 1.
Thanks. Wonder why I didn't get the travel credit. I should see it when I log in right? Has anyone had success asking amex rep via chat for the credit if they haven't received it?
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Same for my wife and me, but on September 1, and we haven't used the credit yet. Looks like it will be very easy to use -- pretty much a straight $200 rebate.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Thanks. Wonder why I didn't get the travel credit. I should see it when I log in right? Has anyone had success asking amex rep via chat for the credit if they haven't received it?
Like many incentive offers from Amex (and other CC companies), this offer is targeted. You have to be targeted to receive it. You don't "automagically" receive it just because your renewal falls in the same window as the folks that were targeted. This has previously been discussed in this thread. I too had my renewal last month and was not targeted and did not receive it. There are several data points of folks not being targeted for this offer. And like most targeted offers, the folks that don't get it are somewhat miffed, wonder why they weren't targeted (which you'll never figure out), and then we move on with life...

Regards
Old Sep 17, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Like many incentive offers from Amex (and other CC companies), this offer is targeted. You have to be targeted to receive it. You don't "automagically" receive it just because your renewal falls in the same window as the folks that were targeted. This has previously been discussed in this thread. I too had my renewal last month and was not targeted and did not receive it. There are several data points of folks not being targeted for this offer. And like most targeted offers, the folks that don't get it are somewhat miffed, wonder why they weren't targeted (which you'll never figure out), and then we move on with life...

Regards
Yeah no biggy. I think many of the blogs made it sound like it was an offer being extended to all but clearly it is actually targetted.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 6:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Yeah no biggy. I think many of the blogs made it sound like it was an offer being extended to all ....
When an offer is widely targeted it is difficult to be confident that one has not overlooked it, or that there is not a technical glitch. There's no harm politely asking customer service to verify that you do not have the offer.
smgainey likes this.

Last edited by mia; Sep 17, 2020 at 6:27 pm
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
When an offer is widely targeted it is difficult to be confident that one has not overlooked it, or that there is not a technical glitch. There's no harm politely asking customer service to verify that you do not have the offer.
OK...so I asked. And the result is..yes! Thanks for suggesting. This is the chat:

Me: Hi, my friend told me that is currently an offer for Amex Platinum card holders for $200 credit on Amex Travel website. I just wanted to check if I am correct in thinking this is an offer currently on my card?
Amex Rep: Welcome to Live Chat. I see you are chatting about card benefits.
Amex Rep: Starting August 2020, selected Card Members can a earn statement credits for eligible travel purchases when they book travel through American Express Travel, amextravel.com, or by calling the number on the back of their eligible Card.
Me: Awesome
Amex Rep: So make a booking through American Express Travel, amextravel.com, or by calling the number on the back of your card.
Me: and what is the statement credit I can earn?
Amex Rep: Maximum credit you may earn $200
Me: OK, so if I spend $200 through American Express travel or amextravel.com, I will get a $200 statement credit?
Amex Rep: That's correct.

Now TBH, he said selected cardmembers and I didn't specifically ask for him to confirm 100% that I was included in these selected cardmembers, because by that point he had already basically said I was eligible and I didn't want to undo it. Assuming the unlikely scenario that I wasn't targeted and he had mistakenly confirmed I was eligible for the credit without checking, this chat would be enough to convince amex to give me the credit after I had made the $200 spend, right?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 1:46 am

I asked a chat agent as well. Being uncomfortable with vague statements, I asked the agent to check if my card has the credit. After some delay to research my account, the agent returned with the general offer terms, and an explicit statement "Your card is eligible". Any further questions about the credit should be directed to AmEx Platinum Travel.
So far it sounds encouraging, and consistent with mia's suggestion that there may still be technical glitches.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I asked a chat agent as well. Being uncomfortable with vague statements, I asked the agent to check if my card has the credit. After some delay to research my account, the agent returned with the general offer terms, and an explicit statement "Your card is eligible". Any further questions about the credit should be directed to AmEx Platinum Travel.
So far it sounds encouraging, and consistent with mia's suggestion that there may still be technical glitches.
It's weird that they are being vague, maybe they can't easily check although in that case you would think they would just refer us to call Platinum service. Either way, having an amex agent confirm in writing that you are eligible should be easily good enough. Amex are known for their customer service and they are not going to fight something that there is clear evidence their agent said. Although it may be a hassle to have to chase if it does not post automatically.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 3:04 am

It's weird that they are being vague...
Perhaps they're undecided on the details, i.e. who's eligible ("selected" members vs all within the stated renewal window), and the exact expenses covered. Banks don't offer benefits without detailed T&C, and whatever I've read so far is insufficient. But I'm ok with waiting for the details, and encouraged that the chat agent confirmed eligibility. Thanks to mia for the idea.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So has anyone who didn't get an email about being targeted and didn't see the monitor on the Amex site, used Amextravel and gotten the credit? That's the DP I'll wait for.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I'd like to be encouraging, but it looks to me that there is a virtual switch Amex must flip for a Plat cardholder to get this $200 credit. If you didn't get an email about it, and you don't see the notice on the bottom-right of the screen when you log in (copied below), I suspect you are not yet eligible for the credit. This is still pretty new, so the agents might not be familiar enough with it to know how to check eligibility and make an ineligible account eligible.

Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I'd like to be encouraging, but it looks to me that there is a virtual switch Amex must flip for a Plat cardholder to get this $200 credit. If you didn't get an email about it, and you don't see the notice on the bottom-right of the screen when you log in (copied below), I suspect you are not yet eligible for the credit. This is still pretty new, so the agents might not be familiar enough with it to know how to check eligibility and make an ineligible account eligible.
I stand by the assertion that if an agent tells you, firmly, in writing you are eligible for a promo/credit, that Amex will then honor it. Of course, doesn't mean it won't be a pain to have to request and much easier if you just get it automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.