Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 6:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
In the land of first-world problems, has anyone heard anything about the Centurion credits?.
Some discussion here: Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:49 pm

Just to add my data point, my Platinum AF will post in June and I received the email with the $200 Amex Travel credit
Old May 6, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My annual fee posts on 12/24 and received the email. I also received a retention offer this year.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
My Plat annual fee posts late January. No email for me.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:35 pm

Even if Google Fi is not included, this bonus has at least served as a reminder that I need to switch from the Unlimited to the Flexible plan with my current use of < 0.1 GB a month...
notquiteaff, rasheed and jimmielin like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I think you assume incorrectly. The $200 travel credit being discussed in this thread is completely separate from the "normal" $200 airline incidentals credit attached to the card.
Thanks. Yes, I was assuming it was for the regular airline credit. I received the email not to long ago.
Old May 6, 2020, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Is it fair to assume that IAP tickets & FHR bookings would qualify under the $200 Amex Travel credit?
Old May 6, 2020, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jimmielin
Mine shows as Google Fi: however, it is classified as "Internet Services" which makes me believe this won't trigger. The chat rep said it would and wait 1-4 weeks. My guess is that you will need to call in and ask (every month, yuck)

Also shows “Digital Goods: Games”. :/
Old May 6, 2020, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
These changes are very attractive and encourage me to actually pick up an Aspire card in the next month... For those that apply now, you get a free night that expires at the end of 2021, 150,000 Hilton points, $250 in dining credit for a $450 fee... My challenge with the Aspire was that it was always hard to use the resort credit if you like city hotels
I agree, I've been waiting to pull the trigger on applying for the Aspire card, but this seems like a good time given the dining credit instead of resort credit, the increased grocery points and extended min spend from 3 to 6 mos. My biggest question, is that all the T&C state, "Starting today, select U.S. Consumer Cards will receive limited-time credits for streaming and wireless service and new accelerators on U.S. supermarket purchases.". .

When they say "select" is that referring to those specific cards, or only select customers? I presume it's anyone who has a Hilton Aspire card, regardless if you're opening it up new after these benefits have been announced and not just for people who had their cards prior to 5/1 when these were announced. I called Amex, but the rep didn't know.

Would be a bummer if I applied and didn't get to utilize these. Otherwise, I would just apply later when I can utilize the Diamond benefit since I have no travel until the fall.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kayexalate
Would be a bummer if I applied and didn't get to utilize these. Otherwise, I would just apply later when I can utilize the Diamond benefit since I have no travel until the fall.
If you spend $166,666.67 at supermarkets on it before the end of the year, you can just get lifetime Diamond instead... (and maybe an Amex shutdown)
Old May 7, 2020, 6:11 am

Just switched Red Pocket to my Amex Green 3 days ago, and the credit posted today. So it does work with some MVNOs (if not Google Fi)
Old May 7, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Some Data Points

Since, as always, Amex is mysterious about their credits, offers, etc. I decided to post everything I have learned in one place.
1) I confirmed in chat today that not all members who renew Platinum between April and December will receive the $200 Amex Travel credit. It is targeted, and you receive an email stating that your card qualifies. If you already received the email with the cell phone/streaming credits, and the travel credit is not included, you were not targeted.
2) Consumer Cellular is included in the $20/mo. (Plat) and $10/mo. (Green) cell phone credits.
3) I called to cancel and was offered 30K MR w/no spend requirement or $300 credit w/ 2K spend. Took the points.
My last use of MR points yielded me 1.5 cents per point redeemed. So hopefully, I can get $450 use of the points.
I'm just itching to travel again.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by eajusa
Since, as always, Amex is mysterious about their credits, offers, etc. I decided to post everything I have learned in one place.
1) I confirmed in chat today that not all members who renew Platinum between April and December will receive the $200 Amex Travel credit. It is targeted, and you receive an email stating that your card qualifies. If you already received the email with the cell phone/streaming credits, and the travel credit is not included, you were not targeted.
This post was very helpful. I went back to the three emails I received yesterday and found that was only targeted for only one offer.

1) MS Plat: opened in February this year, wasn’t expecting to get the $200 credit.

2) Schwab Platinum: the email mentioned the $200 credit. Renewal coming up in July. Wonder if usage has something to do with being targeted or they are only giving 1 offer per account holder. This is the card that I carry with me all the time and buy airline tickets with (make at least 1 transaction per month).

3) Vanilla Plat: no mention of the $200 credit. Renewal coming up in June. I use the Priority Pass from this card regularly but don’t use the card to make any transaction.

All airline credits, Uber credits and Saks credits used on all cards.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kayexalate
I agree, I've been waiting to pull the trigger on applying for the Aspire card, but this seems like a good time given the dining credit instead of resort credit, the increased grocery points and extended min spend from 3 to 6 mos. My biggest question, is that all the T&C state, "Starting today, select U.S. Consumer Cards will receive limited-time credits for streaming and wireless service and new accelerators on U.S. supermarket purchases.". .

When they say "select" is that referring to those specific cards, or only select customers? I presume it's anyone who has a Hilton Aspire card, regardless if you're opening it up new after these benefits have been announced and not just for people who had their cards prior to 5/1 when these were announced. I called Amex, but the rep didn't know.

Anyone have any luck finding this out? I've been toying with going for Schwab platinum for a while. If the credits work for new accounts, it would definitely make sense these days. Otherwise not so much...
Old May 7, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by darkrider
Anyone have any luck finding this out? I've been toying with going for Schwab platinum for a while. If the credits work for new accounts, it would definitely make sense these days. Otherwise not so much...
I can't say 100%, but the new benefits are not based on individual accounts. It's based on the coding Amex assigns to each consumer card group. Platinium, Green, etc and all the approved streaming services for each one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.