Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: United, American Airlines, and Amtrak
Verizon Gift Card

Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
Having bought Verizon gift cards earlier this year with my AMEX previously, I can verify that they do post as the same merchant as the $20 one time payment I made to my verizon cellphone bill (which was credited) last week. I tried to do the gift card thing earlier this year but after receiving my 4th $100 gift card with zero dollars loaded on it, I got tired of spending hours on hold with Verizon to fix the problem.
I purchased a $25 Verizon gift card and no money was loaded on it. I had to call customer service and they credited my bill $25. Seems like something nefarious is going on with Verizon gift cards. I never received the $20 credit from AMEX either. It posted as merchandise & supplies. When I made a direct $25 payment to my Verizon Wireless bill it posted as Communications - Mobile Telecom. That did post but I'm waiting for my credit. I think that will net me the credit... it may also boot me off Verizon auto debit/paperless discount. Oh well.

Last edited by bigblue2007; May 11, 2020 at 6:24 pm
Old May 11, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by bigblue2007
I purchased a $25 Verizon gift card and no money was loaded on it. I had to call customer service and they credited my bill $25. Seems like something nefarious is going on with Verizon gift cards. I never received the $20 credit from AMEX either. It posted as merchandise & supplies. When I made a direct $25 payment to my Verizon Wireless bill it posted as Communications - Mobile Telecom. That did post but I'm waiting for my credit. I think that will net me the credit... it may also boot me off Verizon auto debit/paperless discount. Oh well.
Yep, dont order a gift card unless you want to spend 30 minutes on hold trying to fix your "invalid card"
Old May 11, 2020, 7:44 pm

Well my bundled AT&T Wireless/Internet auto-pay just hit my Plat with: AT&T UVERSE PAYMENT

Assuming its not going to code correctly and I'll have to fight for it
Old May 11, 2020, 8:08 pm

Gift Card-Verizon

Yep, dont order a gift card unless you want to spend 30 minutes on hold trying to fix your "invalid card"
Amazing how the employees who fulfill those gift cards can get away with this.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
Originally Posted by ymx
Any news on this? I don't want to move my payment from the Ink Preferred due to the cell phone insurance (on four iPhones), so was hoping to build up some gift cards for eventual later phone upgrades purchase.
Having bought Verizon gift cards earlier this year with my AMEX previously, I can verify that they do post as the same merchant as the $20 one time payment I made to my verizon cellphone bill (which was credited) last week. I tried to do the gift card thing earlier this year but after receiving my 4th $100 gift card with zero dollars loaded on it, I got tired of spending hours on hold with Verizon to fix the problem.

Edit. Upon looking at my app (as opposed to my computer) it appears the girftcard posted as "equipment" vice "bill pay"
I just checked on my gift card purchase in the app and it posted as "Merchandise & Supplies - Internet Purchase". I'm not optimistic about getting the getting the credit. If you are on Verizon and get the AutoPay discount, the wireless credit appears to be worthless.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by rkb2530
If you are on Verizon and get the AutoPay discount, the wireless credit appears to be worthless.
... unless you switch the autopay credit card to the Amex with the $20/month wireless credit, which I think is Amex's intent.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ymx
Any news on this? I don't want to move my payment from the Ink Preferred due to the cell phone insurance (on four iPhones), so was hoping to build up some gift cards for eventual later phone upgrades purchase.
I'm on T-Mobile but was planning to use my Platinum card to make a $20 payment and then have my balance charged to the Ink Preferred at the end of the cycle through AutoPay. Do you think this would invalidate the insurance? I read through the Guide to Benefits for the Ink Preferred and couldn't find anything that said the bill had to be paid in full on that card for the insurance benefit to apply.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Steve M
... unless you switch the autopay credit card to the Amex with the $20/month wireless credit, which I think is Amex's intent.
Unfortunately the $10/line discount goes away unless you use a checking account or debit card. (For us, we have 6 lines, so we'd lose the $60/month discount if we changed it to AmEx, or even used AmEx for partial payment. Obviously we won't do that.)
Old May 12, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
One of my credits took almost 5 days and the other 2 days. It's the weekend so don't expect too much. I'm still waiting on a Saks credit too.
Tuesday now, no credit. I’ll give it some more time, if either their credit processing batch job isn’t running every work day or it is as flaky as the airline credit credits job (where I sometimes get credit for AS low-price tickets and other times I don’t).

Originally Posted by walkingingotham
Has to be automatic payment in order to receive the streaming credit in around 4 days. If you make a one-time push payment by yourself, the merchant code of the charge is slightly different from the auto-payment and renders it ineligible for the credit.
It was a one time push in this case, but others seem to see credit for it. Next month will be automatic. But if it counts for streaming, it isn’t great for me anyway as I have other charges that could be credited. I gave my wife my Plat # to charge her Verizon bill to. (side point: she apparently wasn’t aware of a $10 discount for non-credit card charges).
Old May 12, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dicoverist
Verizon Gift Card Problems

As stated by others, there are problems with Verizon gift cards. My $25.00 card arrived by UPS today. Went to verify balance only to be told that card # is invalid. Did online chat with Verizon rep and he got the same result. Was advised to call gift card # and speak with rep. Called but no option to speak with rep. Initiated chargeback with AMEX.

Bummer, I was hoping to pick up some points for my Verizon bills but the $50.00 monthly AutoPay discount is obviously better.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by rkb2530
As stated by others, there are problems with Verizon gift cards. My $25.00 card arrived by UPS today. Went to verify balance only to be told that card # is invalid. Did online chat with Verizon rep and he got the same result. Was advised to call gift card # and speak with rep. Called but no option to speak with rep. Initiated chargeback with AMEX.

Bummer, I was hoping to pick up some points for my Verizon bills but the $50.00 monthly AutoPay discount is obviously better.
The Verizon rep just gave me back the $25 on my bill.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'm on T-Mobile but was planning to use my Platinum card to make a $20 payment and then have my balance charged to the Ink Preferred at the end of the cycle through AutoPay. Do you think this would invalidate the insurance? I read through the Guide to Benefits for the Ink Preferred and couldn't find anything that said the bill had to be paid in full on that card for the insurance benefit to apply.
The copy of the guide I found says it has to be paid in full.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/inkpreferred2

Copy of Your cellular service provider billing statement demonstrating that the entire monthly payment for the cellular service provider bill was made the month prior to the date of damage or theft and has been paid with Your Account
Old May 13, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by murphy
The copy of the guide I found says it has to be paid in full.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/inkpreferred2

Copy of Your cellular service provider billing statement demonstrating that the entire monthly payment for the cellular service provider bill was made the month prior to the date of damage or theft and has been paid with Your Account
Thank you. I figured it had to be in there somewhere. I think I'm still going to use the credits though. My wife and I have three Platinums between us, so that's $480 in credit over 8 months. The out of warranty replacement cost for an iPhone 11 through Apple is $399. Since we're two adults using cases and screen protectors, I'm okay self-insuring rather than essentially "paying" $60/month for insurance.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Thank you. I figured it had to be in there somewhere. I think I'm still going to use the credits though. My wife and I have three Platinums between us, so that's $480 in credit over 8 months. The out of warranty replacement cost for an iPhone 11 through Apple is $399. Since we're two adults using cases and screen protectors, I'm okay self-insuring rather than essentially "paying" $60/month for insurance.
I think your assessment is spot on and I like your logic. It's better than leaving on the table that you will definitely lose, versus forfeiting an insurance claim which may or may not provide value. I'll be curious when it gets toward the end of the month to see what others may do to ensure they get some value.

I would venture to guess that the majority of people in this forum have relatives that could benefit from the credit if they are unable to use it themselves. Use the credit to help grandma pay her bill, etc.
Old May 13, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CObigtimefan
If you have Verizon prepaid, there is no credit charge. This Amex credit is a huge win for me. Buy your phone outright, move to prepaid, and you’ll save a lot of money. Sure, Verizon doesn’t charge interest on the phone you’re paying off each month... but the plan is significantly more, so in the end you are.
Prepaid mobile is eligible? Is there a list (since Google Fi is reportedly not included)? I've been thinking about switching from Sprint to either ATT Prepaid or an MVNO like StraightTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.