Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by nock
I never got an email. But yeah, the "My Trips" section on Amex Travel says $0 refundable. I was told on the phone that refund could take up to 21 days, not 30, but I have a few weeks yet. I'm just waiting it out before I call back.
I am now at 22 days, still no credit.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

What refund delays are people seeing with Amex online (5x) prepaid but refundable FHR bookings?

I canceled one in mid Dec and saw a credit the next day. I canceled one Mar 26 and I'm still not seeing anything. The cancellation email says "Please note your refund may take up to 45 days to be fully processed."

Meanwhile, by comparison an Amex IAP flight cancellation email said, "REFUND COULD TAKE UP TO 30 DAYS TO PROCESS."
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by david22
What refund delays are people seeing with Amex online (5x) prepaid but refundable FHR bookings?

I canceled one in mid Dec and saw a credit the next day. I canceled one Mar 26 and I'm still not seeing anything. The cancellation email says "Please note your refund may take up to 45 days to be fully processed."

Meanwhile, by comparison an Amex IAP flight cancellation email said, "REFUND COULD TAKE UP TO 30 DAYS TO PROCESS."
Same situation here. 25 days and no refund on one of my cancellations. Very hard lessons learned!

Last edited by LoungeLizardHugo; Apr 4, 2020 at 2:50 pm Reason: clean up
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:29 pm

So are you guys calling back? Keep us posted.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by david22
I canceled one Mar 26 and I'm still not seeing anything. The cancellation email says "Please note your refund may take up to 45 days to be fully processed."
Why are you expecting a refund in a week when the email tells you that it may take six weeks?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
Why are you expecting a refund in a week when the email tells you that it may take six weeks?
I'm not expecting it. I am asking what other people are seeing in practice. FWIW the last time I canceled the email also said 45 days but took one day.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
Rule 22, Section D, note 1 when it comes to Delta

Airlines have been playing fast and loose with refunds to the point that the FAA noticed, too
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:39 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mia
I believe that Federal Law requires it to be within 7 days. (I had a citation, but I don't recall it right now.)
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:43 pm

DOT guidance: "If a passenger is owed a refund, an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency must process it within seven business days if the passenger paid by credit card, and 20 business days if the passenger paid by cash or check."
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:47 pm
Original Member

There was a very good comment here, earlier today, that must have been deleted by the poster. But I agreed with what he/she said, which is that the Amex brand has been severely damaged, in my opinion, by the problems here. Yes, I absolutely agree that the current world is so different that it isn't surprising that there are glitches. But the "We are Amex, we do things a little better" brand reputation has been ruined, at least in my mind, by the inability of Amex Travel to deal with these issues over an extended period of time.
Artpen100 and darrvao777 like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
So a little progress related to flight refunds. I had cancelled three tickets (all operated by JAL) and applied for refunds. For several weeks, when I checked "My Trips" on amextravel.com, it showed the price of the flight but showed zero refund due. This morning, two of the three show the correct amount due for refund. The third reservation shows some phantom segment instead of my true itinerary, so I presume they are in the middle of processing that one. Earliest cancellation was about March 18. Nothing back to the card yet.
Scott in LA likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nock
DOT guidance: "If a passenger is owed a refund, an airline, travel agent, or online travel agency must process it within seven business days if the passenger paid by credit card, and 20 business days if the passenger paid by cash or check."
Processing ≠ refund posting to your account. Your US point of sale airline ticket, if not issued directly by the airline, is processed through ARC (Airlines Reporting Corp.) The agencies prepare frequent reports via ARC (essentially a giant escrow and processing outfit) for airline processing. No reason why all of that can't happen,with CC credited within 14 calendar days.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: United 2 million, American 1 Million, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
An Update: I originally called AMEX travel to cancel 2 round trips SFO to LHR on British Airways on March 20. These tickets were booked on the AMEX website On March 20, it took almost 3 hours before I actually spoke to an agent.

I called again this morning for an status update as I still had not received any correspondence from BA or AMEX confirming the cancellation and as indicated in my previous post my refund amount was shown under "my trips" as zero.

First the only good news. After moving through the initial menu, it took less than 2 minutes for an agent to arrive on the phone.

....and now the bad news.

After providing the Amex trip numbers, the agent confirmed the trips were cancelled. They also checked the BA locator and both trips could not been found on the BA website (which I already knew as I had checked both). Despite being in the hole for about $20K for these tickets (which I have already paid AMEX for), they are unable to tell me if there were in process for a refund or an "e-credit" with the airline (which is valid for 12 months.) or what the amount was/would be.

I was told that I should get an email "sometime soon" with the details (as they are behind) and it will tell me if I get a refund or an e-credit.

It seems ridiculous they cant even tell me if I get a refund or credit or what the value or status of the cancellation actually is.

I can only wish others better success than i have should you contact them.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:04 pm

Ugh. Just what I was afraid of. I guess I'll call and see what they say. I never got an email either.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
AMEX Flight Booked was Cancelled Won't Refund Because only Airline is Authorized to

So I have a LATAM booking that was interrupted in the middle. 3 leg Multi JFK-LIM-GYE-JFK.

LIM-GYE we were denied boarding because Ecuador was not allowing NON Ecuadoreans into the country and the GYE-JFK leg got cancelled all together.

So AMEX Travel says that two of the coupons are still open and can be rebooked at no additional charge thru Dec 31. The problem is a credit won't be given nor will a voucher be given and I have no intentions of flying LIM-GYE GYE-JFK when I live in JFK area. A one way from JFK-LIM costs more than the whole 3 leg trip and even with points its a bad burn of points. AMEX says that only Latam can give a refund. Latam says they are not authorized to act on it since it was a 3rd party travel agent booking. Amex comes back and says that's true but we have now released it so that Latam can do whatever they want with it (cancel and refund for you). Latam still denies the ability to do that and refuses to refund.

What is the best course of action here? I'm leaning towards either
A: adding onto my AIG claim (trip interruption) I had to pay $3000 for coach seats back to USA (LIM-PUJ-EWR nothing else available) since LATAM refused to rebook us stating that it was our fault that we were denied because we were not Ecuadorean citizens.
B: just doing a flat out charge back at this point.

I've spent hours going back and forth on this and I'll tell you LATAM SHOULD NOT get any bailout whatsoever from Chile, Peru whoever.. I feel ZERO empathy towards them. I get they have wonderful flight attendants etc but the company needs a hard look after this. Look I run a business, I'm all about making money but pure greed at a horrific time should be punished. They wanted $6500 from us (on top of the $2200 value of our tickets already) to delete a leg to go LIM-JFK (which was EMPTY 2 days before we were originally suppose to leave LIM ) instead of LIM-GYE-JFK (remember we were denied boarding passes to go to GYE)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.