Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Yeah, I believe Platinum members can call in for travel service and get Centurion, for a $39. fee. .
If you are a Platinum cardholder it's called Platinum Travel Service (PTS), and you are correct that the fee is $39. No idea if the same staff answer both CTS and PTS calls.

CTS may waive the fee for some Centurion cardholders.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mia
If you have an assigned agent you are probably dealing with Centurion Travel Service (CTS), rather than with American Express Travel.
Originally Posted by mia
If you are a Platinum cardholder it's called Platinum Travel Service (PTS), and you are correct that the fee is $39. No idea if the same staff answer both CTS and PTS calls.

Thanks. I have a feeling the CTS staff also do PTS because I've called and had them answer "Centurion travel" before when I don't have a Centurion card.
mia and Gasolin like this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by mia

never had a fee and have a designated agent/team
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:44 pm
mia

Originally Posted by knownothing
never had a fee....
One could say it's built into the cost of the Centurion card.
Gasolin likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by mia
One could say it's built into the cost of the Centurion card.
one could say
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I too have never had a fee for any Centurion travel service, but I don't recall ever being charged one as a Platinum holder. Though the last time I used PTS was several years ago; they were not particularly useful.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I had bought about $3300 of tickets for my family last summer on TAP through AMEX Travel to get the 5x MR points. I thought about cancelling proactively and paying the cancellation fees at some point in March. TAP cancelled the flights in the end and what a hassle to try to get a refund, with little help from AMEX Travel. First, TAP seems to have purged the PNR info almost entirely, so AMEX Travel has had a hard time figuring out what I'd actually bought and how much I had paid. But the main problem was that when I called in and referenced the DOT policy (airline cancelled so I was entitled to a refund), the agent was quite rude and said "well TAP isnt a US carrier and so doesnt have to do that." I mean I expect a run of the mill OTA to parrot the Airline's position, but thought AMEX Travel would at least entertain that I might be right. What a mistake. In the end I had to file with the DOT, my complaint was forwarded to TAP and I got an email from TAP that "you can get a refund" and informing me to work through my travel agent. I have been on with AMEX Travel again, a much nicer person who at first read the TAP policy but then stopped when it occurred to her that we had been down that road and there must be a secret door somewhere that she needed to knock on. She talked to a supervisor and I'm not through yet, but it does look like they have someone who is both aware of the US DOT rules and that TAP is caving like a cheap aluminum folding chair once they get the DOT letter. So hopefully this will be processed and queued for refund, although I am not going to hold my breath and expect it any time soon. Hopefully just at some point before TAP goes under ;-)

The supervisor ultimately sent me an email and I had to print a pdf of the communications with the DOT and TAP. He said they will get it processed today... again, not holding my breath in terms of when it hits my account!

Last edited by stephem; Apr 28, 2020 at 6:56 pm
Old May 1, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
So today, I receive an email from AX Travel stating " An existing flight reservation that you booked with American Express Travel has been modified by your airline. The itinerary for Trip ID xxxxxxx has at least one flight segment that has been cancelled by the airline. You may be eligible to receive a credit or refund on this cancelled flight segment in accordance with the airline’s policies. Since you have remaining flight segment(s) in your itinerary that have not been cancelled, please follow the instructions below.....

And indeed, there still has been a CDG/TLV segment showing on my DL trips. So I called (per the "follow the instructions below"). After 10 minutes or so with the first agent, I then was transferred to another agent. She has me on hold now to "see what she can do." About 25 minutes into the call now.
The latest update. The above-described call lasted just short of an hour. I did see my ticket status change on DL a few days ago to EREF.. This morning, I awoke to an email from AX regarding a credit having posted to my account.

The end

Hopefully
Old May 1, 2020, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stephem
I had bought about $3300 of tickets for my family last summer on TAP through AMEX Travel to get the 5x MR points. I thought about cancelling proactively and paying the cancellation fees at some point in March. TAP cancelled the flights in the end and what a hassle to try to get a refund, with little help from AMEX Travel. First, TAP seems to have purged the PNR info almost entirely, so AMEX Travel has had a hard time figuring out what I'd actually bought and how much I had paid. But the main problem was that when I called in and referenced the DOT policy (airline cancelled so I was entitled to a refund), the agent was quite rude and said "well TAP isnt a US carrier and so doesnt have to do that." I mean I expect a run of the mill OTA to parrot the Airline's position, but thought AMEX Travel would at least entertain that I might be right. What a mistake. In the end I had to file with the DOT, my complaint was forwarded to TAP and I got an email from TAP that "you can get a refund" and informing me to work through my travel agent. I have been on with AMEX Travel again, a much nicer person who at first read the TAP policy but then stopped when it occurred to her that we had been down that road and there must be a secret door somewhere that she needed to knock on. She talked to a supervisor and I'm not through yet, but it does look like they have someone who is both aware of the US DOT rules and that TAP is caving like a cheap aluminum folding chair once they get the DOT letter. So hopefully this will be processed and queued for refund, although I am not going to hold my breath and expect it any time soon. Hopefully just at some point before TAP goes under ;-)

The supervisor ultimately sent me an email and I had to print a pdf of the communications with the DOT and TAP. He said they will get it processed today... again, not holding my breath in terms of when it hits my account!
Not sure why amex would have helped at all (unless you have a private agent doing it to be nice) since it appears you did not buy the tickets from them. Why should they
Old May 1, 2020, 6:27 pm
mia

Originally Posted by stephem
I had bought about $3300 of tickets for my family last summer on TAP through AMEX Travel
.... it appears you did not buy the tickets from them...
It appears the tickets were purchased through Amex Travel.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
It appears the tickets were purchased through Amex Travel.
but were they booked via the web site which is orbitz or through the amex agency Different story and different travel agency
Old May 1, 2020, 10:00 pm
mia

but were they booked via the web site which is orbitz or through the amex agency Different story and different travel agency
The distinction between Amex Travel and Platinum Travel Service is not simply online vs telephone. Amex Travel (operated by Orbitz) can be contacted by phone: 1-800-297-2977; outside US, 1-312-980-7807
Old May 2, 2020, 6:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
The distinction between Amex Travel and Platinum Travel Service is not simply online vs telephone. Amex Travel (operated by Orbitz) can be contacted by phone: 1-800-297-2977; outside US, 1-312-980-7807
That is not what AmEx says. If you dial the number on your card, you get Amex travel. If you book online you get orbitz. Perhaps yo can call from the online site. Amex Platinum IS NOT Orbitz.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:28 am
mia

Amex Travel -and- Platinum Travel Service can -both- be reached by telephone at separate numbers.

Amex Travel (Orbitz) : 1-800-297-2977; outside US, 1-312-980-7807 Published here:

If you booked your travel with American Express Travel and you need to change/cancel a booking,...if you booked your flight within the last 24 hours or have a departure date within the next 3 days please call us at 1-800-297-2977 for the U.S. (outside of the U.S. at 1-312-980-7807).

Platinum Travel: 1-800-443-7672 Published here:

As a Platinum CardŽ member, you also have access to Platinum Travel Service, an exclusive full-service travel agency standing by 24 hours a day to assist you with all your travel needs. To modify, confirm, or cancel an existing reservation with Platinum Travel Service, please call 1-800-443-7672.
Old May 2, 2020, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Mia, I think that is what I said. For platinum and centurian you also have a dedicated agent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.