Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:02 pm

I got through to Amex as well in less than 5 minutes. Their menu has changed further to ask for cancelling a booking and then takes you through airline names. I had a ticket on Delta, and she was able to contact Delta and told me they've processed a refund - though I will only see it in two weeks. Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by mani1111
I got through to Amex as well in less than 5 minutes. Their menu has changed further to ask for cancelling a booking and then takes you through airline names. I had a ticket on Delta, and she was able to contact Delta and told me they've processed a refund - though I will only see it in two weeks. Fingers crossed.
yeah, they definitely beefed up their cancellation handling. had an agent within a few minutes this morning too after getting through the menu tree and they handled my Cathay Pacific booking. CP had already canceled the return legs since they are basically going dark in April. :/

Cathay Pacific is hard hit by this and is allowing any flight booked before March 17 to be cancelled at this point.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Data point: My RM emailed me this morning to check on me. She knew I had no travel booked, but wanted to make sure that all was well, and asked if there is anything she can do. Good show.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by pointtaken
Got through a while ago after just 5 mins on hold. They would not cancel and refund my ticket outright, but rather suggested that I wait until the airlines would (likely) cancel a flight. The very helpful agent then discovered that there was also a schedule change in my booking and I could get a refund based on that. The rep said it would be around 21 days instead of the normal 7 to receive the refund with all the refunds going on... Just logged on to my trips on Amex Travel and it is showing a $0 refund due, which is interesting.
Similar experience. My flight on Delta booked through Amex just up and disappeared the other day. I called Amex and after about 25 minutes of looking around they decided that the flight was canceled and not rebooked, thus I was entitled to a full refund. They said the refund would be processed within 21 days. But when I look at the trip on amextravel it says "Trip canceled. Trip Cost: $xxxx.xx, Refundable amount: $ 0.00". Fingers crossed I actually get my money back.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by nock
But when I look at the trip on amextravel it says "Trip canceled. Trip Cost: $xxxx.xx, Refundable amount: $ 0.00". Fingers crossed I actually get my money back.
Well, I guess this makes me feel a bit better, given that other people are seeing the same thing. As posted previously, I called last week to cancel a trip and be refunded. Never saw any update to my record online. I saw news that the airline had finally cancelled the flights I was scheduled to take, so I checked again to see what my record said now, and it showed a different flight, as if I had just been rebooked due to a "normal" flight cancellation. Called back yesterday (got through in about five minutes, actually) and asked them to check what was up. The agent went to look, and said that the record had been marked cancelled, but for some sort of credit (I didn't ask further if it was airline credit or Amex Travel credit). I told her no, it was supposed to be a refund. She went off for a bit, and eventually did come back saying she had processed the cancellation, sent it to the "refund desk", and it might take up to two billing cycles to appear on my statement. Annoying, but that's in line withe the 21 days they've been saying, so fine. Out of curiosity, I checked later to see what the record said, and it shows exactly as the poster above, with the refundable amount at $0. If I had cancelled under normal circumstances, that would have been the case, so I'm hoping it's just some programming glitch that isn't handling this well--knowing that I'm not the only person whose record is updated that way makes me think that's probably the case.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:17 pm

And I see a credit on my Platinum Amex for the tickets. so, all good now.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
And I see a credit on my Platinum Amex for the tickets. so, all good now.
Mani, was yours a schedule change or flight cancellation? I still need to call and I want a refund instead of flight credit after they moved me from 5pm to 1:20pm on DL.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:15 pm

Mine was a cancellation. Scheduled to fly out April 4 to LHR, but asked them for a refund instead of a credit. Amex rep contacted delta and was able to make it happen.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:19 pm

If they changed your flight, they'll either be able to accomodate any changes to dates, or should be able to process a refund. Good luck.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
If they changed your flight, they'll either be able to accomodate any changes to dates, or should be able to process a refund. Good luck.
Thanks, I got through to someone without a hold time (Note: Platinum cardholder), and after about 15 minutes with Delta I was told my refund would be issued in 14 days!
mani1111 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 5:32 pm

I called the other day in regards to a hotel reservation. I canceled my flight that I purchased directly from the airline and got a refund from the airline, but needed to cancel what was showing as a non-refundable pre-paid stay. I reached out to the hotel using email and they said the AMEX Travel booking was showing as Expedia, and per Expedia policy they would have no issues refunding in full. I spent 1.5 hours on hold (as a Platinum cardholder) until I got through. The two representatives I spoke with during my call said they did see in the email confirmation that it said non-refundable from the AMEX side, but their system on the Expedia side allowed them to cancel and refund it fully. Waiting for the charges to be refunded to my account now. Besides the long wait, things went smoothly.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by SJCMIKE
2 days ago, after much trying, I finally got through to cancel two British Airways first class flights that I had booked through the AMEX website.
After agreeing to the cancellation charges for a refund the agent cancelled both flights.

Upon checking "my trips" on the Amex website today, both trips are there but clicking on them shows they are both cancelled as does the BA site. However the cancellation details under "my trips" shows the correct original cost of the trips but the refundable amount and refund to credit card on both is zero.

Now I am nervous they screwed up the cancellation and processed a future credit with BA rather than a refund back to my Platinum card, which at this point would be worthless.

Are others seeing this zero credit back to their Amex card after a cancellation under the cancellation details in "my trips" ?

I would add like others here, I got no confirmation email for the cancellation/refund
Same lack of email, same $0 on travel record. I have called about 4 times and I have been assured that the refund is coming to my credit card. Today I was referred to "Special Services" (supervisor level) because something was too difficult for the rep. That person told me that: a) they would send an email (never arrived); b) it was just a backlog in the system and I would see the credit within a week. Because it has been 13 days since I cancelled, I disputed the charge today, inserting a note that they are required to provide a credit within 7 business days under the applicable CFR.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:20 am

Anybody have experience with hotel bookings? I got an email from Amextravel about an upcoming booking for a hotel reservation. I don't actually recall any, and I cannot see any under my trips. I do have airline bookings.
Maybe they just made a mistake?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by SJCMIKE
Are others seeing this zero credit back to their Amex card after a cancellation under the cancellation details in "my trips" ?
YES!! It hasn't been 14 days, but since mani1111 had a refund to their card in a few days, I logged into AmexTravel. Lo an behold, I see the same thing SJCMIKE does.

I called, and while on hold I received an email saying the trip is cancelled (the first such confirmation even though it disappeared from the Fly Delta app almost immediately), and the e-mail says $0 due to card as well. The phone rep was very insistent I was due a full refund "within 30 days". I told her my email confirmation showed $0 and after a second lengthy hold, I received an email that has a handwritten note reading This filght has been cancelled will be refunded 5,240.3 it can take up till 30days. Thank you

We'll see if that happens, but I'm not going to be that patient; as sbrower points out the COC says refunds are typically within 7 days. I know these aren't typical times, but a month sounds unrealistic. As it is I'm going to have to front the money on this ticket and then get a refund check issued from American Express now
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:07 pm

I never got an email. But yeah, the "My Trips" section on Amex Travel says $0 refundable. I was told on the phone that refund could take up to 21 days, not 30, but I have a few weeks yet. I'm just waiting it out before I call back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.