Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuonaDomenica
.... best to pay the $39 and talk to a real person for any bookings.
I expect that if most people agreed, and Expedia could charge $39 fee for every booking, year after year, their staffing level would be much higher.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mia
American Express Travel (USA) was outsourced to Travelocity in 2004, changed to Orbitz in 2011. (Both now owned by Expedia.) Do you have any reason to believe that American Express would somehow have enough trained staff available to handle this spike?
The issue is that Amex is known as a card provider that has excellent travel and concierge service, especially at a $550 fee. However they have pushed out many Amex Platinum features (like the prepaid Amex FHR) to AmexTravel.com, which provides the typical poor service of an OTA. However cardholders aren’t told they will get a worse experience booming online vs calling - it is all Amex to them. The internal staffing model of Amex shouldn’t really be a concern of the end customer
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mia
I expect that if most people agreed, and Expedia could charge $39 fee for every booking, year after year, their staffing level would be much higher.
Having been through an Amex/Expedia nightmare fairly recently, I would hesitate to ever book a flight online through Amex Travel again. That said, if, for example I was considering an IAP fare, I would still wrestle with the $39 fee, as well as the added inconvenience of calling vs. booking online.

It's kind of like travel insurance. Looks really good after you've had a loss, but much less so at time of purchase, when the premium is just an added and potentially unnecessary cost.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I put my call back number in at 9:24AM ET this morning. Still waiting for the call back.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, IHG PLAT
I had a ticket that I needed to cancel before the 24 hour cancellation period and similar to other posters, had the same issue with long holds and frequent disconnects. I was finally able to stay on hold without being disconnected and after a 7.5 hour hold (yes, 7.5 hours of that same jazz music on loop) I was finally able to get through. I'll definitely think twice before booking through the Amex site again after that fiasco!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by txpenny
I put my call back number in at 9:24AM ET this morning. Still waiting for the call back.
Got a call back 18 hours later (4:30AM). No one on the phone, just the crappy phone music. I stayed on hold for about 30 minutes before falling back to sleep. I didn't think their call centers opened that early???

Originally Posted by drchrysler
I had a ticket that I needed to cancel before the 24 hour cancellation period and similar to other posters, had the same issue with long holds and frequent disconnects. I was finally able to stay on hold without being disconnected and after a 7.5 hour hold (yes, 7.5 hours of that same jazz music on loop) I was finally able to get through. I'll definitely think twice before booking through the Amex site again after that fiasco!
You and me both. I will certainly miss the 5X benefit on my Business Open card.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:50 am

Finally got through after 3 1/2 hours last night.

I didn't hear the agent for 2 minutes when he came on after the long wait (speaker phone was in next room). Wife walked by, heard the agent and let him know we were still on the line, thankfully. Agent told me they are required by Amex Travel to wait exactly 3 minutes before hanging up and moving on.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
I also was able to get through today. Got a callback prompt when I called this morning, and they called after only about 3 hours. Maybe things are starting to calm down for them.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
I noticed that there was a new recording on Sunday about being able to cancel American Airlines tickets online. I called AA directly and got my trip taken care of in less than 5 minutes. AA was not able to touch the ticket last week, so maybe something has changed.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by lax555
I noticed that there was a new recording on Sunday about being able to cancel American Airlines tickets online. I called AA directly and got my trip taken care of in less than 5 minutes. AA was not able to touch the ticket last week, so maybe something has changed.
I booked my AA tickets through Amex travel, paying with points on my business plat account. When I go to the AA site it still says I can't cancel online and have to go through my travel agent. I also saw the notice that AA will honor the value of the ticket towards future travel if I simply don't show up to my flight which is in three days. My question is, if I just don't show up, will I be able to re-book through AA at a later date or will I have to go through Amex Travel? Or will Amex Travel just consider the ticket lost with no value towards future travel?
I'd rather not sit on the phone all day with either AA or Amex if I can avoid it.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
lax555, would appreciate a clarification. did you book online or through Platinum travel? I have three AA tickets that I booked online and just tried to cancel them and got
the same error message that I need to contact my travel agent. I am AA EXP as well, do you believe they will cancel the tickets even though "AMEX Expedia" booked them?
It would be a much shorter wait to call the AA EXP line. Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Impossible to get through on AmEx Travel phone, when you can eventually get it to ring, then you listen to the crap musak for 20 minutes and then it hangs you up. Call to AmEx plat line to initiate a chargeback results in "We won't chargeback our sister company", call AmEx travel. Times like this you really find out what companies are made of. Call American Airlines, who for some reason people love to bash and they answer phone in 3 minutes and cancel reservation but can do nothing to refund MR points. Ha ve to call AmEx travel for that.

Can't cancel on AmEx Travel website. Can't message AmEx Travel, Can't email AmEx Travel. Can't get through on phone. AmEx themselves will do nothing. Hard, hard lesson learned. AmEx+Expedia=filthy rotten scumbags.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:29 pm

yeah, this is a disaster for AmEx. the fact that you can't cancel an online itinerary, well... online but only via phone is ridiculous. as others have said Platinum travel doesn't have access to the Expedia/Orbitz data, as I've used some of my contacts there to hear that disappointing news. I guess I'll only be using PTS from now on, if at all. :/

Does anyone know if you booked through Expedia/Orbitz directly if one is able to cancel itineraries online, i.e. is it just the AmEx Travel ".com" presence that is messed up and requires phone contact?

we're trying to cancel a Cathay Pacific itinerary that starts next week since our tour was cancelled (of course). the tour was to start in Cambodia where the outbound flights end, which according to CP's website, as a US citizen we're not allowed to transit through at the moment. so I'm hoping they'll just refund the whole thing.

Last edited by phelme; Mar 18, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As a followup to my previous post. I had four AA flights that I had to cancel that were booked through AMEX online (Expedia). Since I am EXP on AA I got right through, the agent was very helpful, cancelled the tickets and reminded me I can use the value through December 31. Bravo AA, shame on AMEX online.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
For American Express Travel online bookings with Delta Air Lines:

If your departure is imminent and you'd like to change or cancel your Delta flight immediately, you can now visit My Trips at Delta.com to change or cancel your flight online. Even though your trip was booked with American Express Travel, you can change or cancel directly with Delta Air Lines. If you miss your flight before changing or canceling, you will still receive a credit with Delta, provided your flight falls within Delta's current waiver policies. Please note that changing or canceling your flight directly with Delta may prevent American Express Travel from servicing this booking in the future.

If selecting to change or cancel directly, please refer to the step-by-step instructions below. All Delta flight bookings with American Express Travel are subject to Delta's current change and cancellation policies, so it's important to review Delta's current COVID-19 policies for more information and before canceling your flight.

To Change Your Flight
Visit My Trips at Delta.com, select the flight you wish to change and then click on "Modify Flight".
Choose "Start Flight Change" and select which flight you would like to change to search for a new flight.
Note: Though the change fee will be waived, a difference in fare may apply.*
To Cancel Your Flight
To cancel your flight, visit My trips at Delta.com and click on "Modify Flight" then choose "Start Flight Cancellation".
Make sure to select "Request Refund" to process your credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.