Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Contacting Amex Travel (including CTS, PTS, IAP) for Covid-19 changes or refunds.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:02 pm

I tried this, but it just got an error back to me saying. " COntact Delta for assistance @ 1800...". So didn't get the refund through that process either.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
The phone tree now has changed a bit and one of the options that wasn't there a couple of days ago states that "If your flight is with United, press 1".

My flight that I wanted to cancel is with United so I visited United's website and found that they made a change there allowing you to cancel your flight direct with them on their website. Prior to this change, an error would appear saying something to the effect of - since you booked through a travel agent, you need to cancel through the travel agent.

I was able to cancel my flight directly on United's website now and receive a travel credit, although I'm not sure I will be able to use it since have no travel planned. I'm still keeping my AMEX dispute open since there is supposed to be a waiver on my flight and I'm supposed to be able to be refunded.

I will never use AMEX Travel again and now transferred my membership reward points out to Hilton Honors points (at special bonus multiplier too). Even without our current coronovirus problems, AMEX Travel customer service was really quite lacking.

Last edited by Mediahound; Mar 18, 2020 at 4:45 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
So for those who have gotten through and cancelled a flight--was there any confirmation email sent, or did you see your record updated? As I had previously posted, I finally got through Monday, and spoke to an agent who said she had cancelled and refunded my flight. She told me the refund might take up to 21 days to post, which I've certainly seen before on other credit card refunds, so it didn't bother me that nothing had shown up on my card yet. But I never got any sort of email confirming the cancellation/refund, and I can still see my flight under My Trips, with no apparent change. Should I be worried? I really don't want to get back on the phone, both for my own sanity and not to clog up the line unnecessarily, but this whole situation isn't filling me with confidence.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Scott in LA
So for those who have gotten through and cancelled a flight--was there any confirmation email sent, or did you see your record updated? As I had previously posted, I finally got through Monday, and spoke to an agent who said she had cancelled and refunded my flight. She told me the refund might take up to 21 days to post, which I've certainly seen before on other credit card refunds, so it didn't bother me that nothing had shown up on my card yet. But I never got any sort of email confirming the cancellation/refund, and I can still see my flight under My Trips, with no apparent change. Should I be worried? I really don't want to get back on the phone, both for my own sanity and not to clog up the line unnecessarily, but this whole situation isn't filling me with confidence.
In my case, the agent told me I would receive a confirmation e-mail. I never got one - worse, the record showed as "cancelled" on AmexTravel. Nevertheless I received the refund back to my card a couple of days ago
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:56 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
In Australia, I called the Amex Online Travel number and was on hold for 1:40 two days ago. I spoke to someone with a heavy French accent for 20 mins. He still hasn't actionedthe cancellations for flights in 48 hours.

Frustrated as I could be considered a no show, I called the Plat Travel line today and was routed to a Centurion rep. They generally say they can't action online bookings or changes, however they now can. She sorted my issue in 10 mins.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:34 am

Programs: United 2 million, American 1 Million, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Scott in LA
2 days ago, after much trying, I finally got through to cancel two British Airways first class flights that I had booked through the AMEX website.
After agreeing to the cancellation charges for a refund the agent cancelled both flights.

Upon checking "my trips" on the Amex website today, both trips are there but clicking on them shows they are both cancelled as does the BA site. However the cancellation details under "my trips" shows the correct original cost of the trips but the refundable amount and refund to credit card on both is zero.

Now I am nervous they screwed up the cancellation and processed a future credit with BA rather than a refund back to my Platinum card, which at this point would be worthless.

Are others seeing this zero credit back to their Amex card after a cancellation under the cancellation details in "my trips" ?

I would add like others here, I got no confirmation email for the cancellation/refund
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SJCMIKE
Are others seeing this zero credit back to their Amex card after a cancellation under the cancellation details in "my trips" ?

I would add like others here, I got no confirmation email for the cancellation/refund
Yes, and, yes. Same exact experience. Zero credit back. They are NOT refunding to CC they are putting some kind of credit on your account.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: United 2 million, American 1 Million, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Yes, and, yes. Same exact experience. Zero credit back. They are NOT refunding to CC they are putting some kind of credit on your account.
Is this "credit" back to my Amex account or some sort of account with the airline ?

I cancelled a Cathay Pacific ticket last week and got the airfare credit applied to my Amex current account balance yesterday.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SJCMIKE
Is this "credit" back to my Amex account or some sort of account with the airline ?

I cancelled a Cathay Pacific ticket last week and got the airfare credit applied to my Amex current account balance yesterday.

Credit to AmEx Travel for travel on the canceled airline is my understanding. Credit for future flights that you have to call AmEx Travel to use (UGH)
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
Originally Posted by taxare
lax555, would appreciate a clarification. did you book online or through Platinum travel? I have three AA tickets that I booked online and just tried to cancel them and got
the same error message that I need to contact my travel agent. I am AA EXP as well, do you believe they will cancel the tickets even though "AMEX Expedia" booked them?
It would be a much shorter wait to call the AA EXP line. Thank you!
Sorry for the delay - I booked through the amex travel website and canceled/refunded through the EXP desk. I will note, that the reason for my refund was due to a schedule change resulting in my class of service (Premium economy) no longer available. I do not think a full refund is due for COVID related issues, just a waiver on change fee for future travel. Either way, AA was able to handle the process. Good luck!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:30 pm

Interesting, if you go to Expedia's COVID-19 page they have this to say:
-
  • Customers with Flight Bookings (non-package/bundle):
    • For customers with a flight booking, we will email you in the coming days to ask if you wish to keep or cancel your existing booking. Terms and conditions for credits of each specific carrier will apply.
I can't can't find anything similar to this on AmEx travel's coronavirus page, even though some of the wording is very similar to the Expedia page. Has anyone received a cancellation email like this from either Expedia or AmEx?

Old Mar 21, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Credit to AmEx Travel for travel on the canceled airline is my understanding. Credit for future flights that you have to call AmEx Travel to use (UGH)
LLH, is this the situation for people cancelling due to Coronavirus? I had a schedule change I do not agree with, so I should be entitled to a full refund. I've been waiting to call since it's still 3 weeks out and I know things are crazy right now but I don't want a future credit.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: DL GM
I got through after an hour and 46 minutes. After an hour the call dropped to dead silence but I stayed on and connected. I asked for a cancellation and refund of my AA itinerary (due to flight cancellation) and they said it was refunded to my credit card.

However, when I go back to Amex Travel online and view the itinerary again it says cancelled and the refundable amount is $0. Is that how it's supposed to look?

Edit: saw a couple posts above about being a credit in Amex Travel. However, I specifically asked for a refund.

Last edited by idiosyncrasy; Mar 22, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:46 pm

If I am flying from EWR-ATH on UA and LCA-EWR on LX on the same ticket that was bought on AMEX travel and I want to cancel due to COVID-19 will I get a credit or a refund? Also, if I get a credit which of the two airlines will the credit be for? None of these flights have been canceled yet and I used both points and cash for this purchase.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire mainly
Got through a while ago after just 5 mins on hold. They would not cancel and refund my ticket outright, but rather suggested that I wait until the airlines would (likely) cancel a flight. The very helpful agent then discovered that there was also a schedule change in my booking and I could get a refund based on that. The rep said it would be around 21 days instead of the normal 7 to receive the refund with all the refunds going on... Just logged on to my trips on Amex Travel and it is showing a $0 refund due, which is interesting.

Last edited by pointtaken; Mar 23, 2020 at 1:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.