Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Sure. Standard SOL would be a year upon discovery? Not a lawyer, but I'm sure we have plenty on FT who would could correct me if I'm wrong. Now, if it's fraud, then they could go back 3 years?
1 year sounds reasonable. Not sure how they would prove fraud here and that likely wouldn't hold up in arbitration.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
1 year sounds reasonable. Not sure how they would prove fraud here and that likely wouldn't hold up in arbitration.
YMMV & pure speculation. I’d be almost anything they wouldn’t bother.
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
..... haven't bothered to calibrate their systems to exclude ticket purchases under certain conditions.....
A year ago they had not bothered to calibrate their system to exclude gift card purchases. They will close ticket purchases when they see the transaction spike. They don't need to prove anything, just establish that the transactions do not qualify for reimbursement, which is straightforward because the terms only list exclusions.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:06 pm

Not a lawyer nor have I read their T&Cs.

In my experience with Amex and this credit, for whatever reason, they haven't bothered to calibrate their systems to exclude ticket purchases under certain conditions. While this may not continue, there's little risk for adverse action, in my view. If Amex were so inclined, they'll just claw back the credit, reset the meter, and that's that. Likewise, the cardmember would have no grievance to complain since it's clearly stated that ticket purchases DO NOT qualify for the credit.
clawing back the credit isn't something you should be worried about. It's that they can potentially close ALL of your credit cards under american express and take away all of your points earned. you will then care I'm sure..
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by sleepy3192
clawing back the credit isn't something you should be worried about. It's that they can potentially close ALL of your credit cards under american express and take away all of your points earned. you will then care I'm sure..
This is not speculation. I have zero concern this will ever happen to me, at least not in this lifetime.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
As if Amex would do that to someone for buying some <$100 tickets. For all they know, you flew on the flights.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:16 pm

Its not like we're buying tickets from WN then having to call Amex and lie about the purchase in order to get the credit. AMEX is automatically applying the credit to the purchase whether we want them to or not. It's not unreasonable to buy <$100 tickets and canceling without the expectation that it will trigger the credit.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by ajc1970
1/1/2020: Purchased $172.98 Southwest flight (for my mom who will actually fly it). Used $75 in GCs and charged $97.98 to Amex Biz Plat. Txn pending, no meter movement or reimbursement yet. Will update this post with results once known.
Meter still hasn't budged. Concerned a bit after seeing other people who purchased 1/1/2020 had their meter move on 1/5.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Meter still hasn't budged. Concerned a bit after seeing other people who purchased 1/1/2020 had their meter move on 1/5.
All my purchases were made on Jan 2, 3, and 4. Everything has been credited.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Do you know how to go into incognito mode in a browser? Try logging in that way. Some posters suspect that old cached data might be affecting what you see in recent charges, credits and meter positions.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
12/24 90.98 ticket
12/24 90.98 ticket
12/26 ~$20 change fee on #1 ticket

12/27 90.98 credit
12/27 90.98 credit
12/29 18.04 credit
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA 1k, AA Exec Plat
Am I okay to cancel my <$100 ticket for travel funds if the ticket has posted, and the meter has moved, but the refund has not posted?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:32 am

SWA and Amex

Booked 2 flights on SWA 1/5/2020 for $900 and used a travel $100 fund credit from November/2019. SWA noted my reservation if cancelled, travel fund date goes to November/2020. My companion shows 1/5/2021. Booking shows as two separate charges on my Amex Platinum.

Did EB on my Amex Gold which shows four $25 charges. This should take care of my Amex Gold SWA 2020 airline credit.

I still have the Amex Platinum and Aspire SWA airline credits to deal with. Also, I have travel fund credits from 2019.

I am now planning on another SWA flight. As I’m doing this, can’t help to think this is a PIA. Fortunately, SWA has a huge presence in my hometown and finding flights is easy.

Will update.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, AAdvantage Gold, Southwest A-List Preferred, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Rokosz
FYI, for the purchasing WN flights @ <$99 workaround, found PHX-LAS and back for $99 exactly at the end of January.

Waiting til my GC-partial card charge (Aspire) workaround credits (WN re-selected for 2020 on 1/4, $145 SW GC applied to a $244 one way from PHX-MKE and $158 SW GC applied to a $257 one way from MKE-PHX, both today, 1/4) before P2 tries to recoup their 2020 Plat and Gold card $200 and $100 airline fees respectively with the above $99 PHX/LAS flights cancellation/travel funds route.

Will update when my two $99 charges post to the Aspire and hopefully, credit. Grammar and punctuation be damned, with all these things to consider.
Update 1/7: Transactions have posted, and in Incognito browser, meter is showing $52.04 remaining for Aspire airline credit. Still waiting on the credits, but I assume they'll post before close of business today or first thing tomorrow. I'll include another post after the fact if so and go ahead with P2's Travel Fund method (Plat and Gold) I feel pretty good about doing now along with the $100 on my Gold for a Travel Fund.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Thank you for your help

Last edited by shanna135; Jan 7, 2020 at 8:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.