Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:57 pm

Amex spent a fortune on key chain Fobs years ago and it was complete failure. I have never seen a company so out of touch with their customer base than Amex.
PilotJoe91 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by tangfish
I got my new card and Prada bracelet today.

I opted for the “Classic” design. Compared to my existing card the new card is .4g lighter...
How many grams does the card weigh? TIA.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I would have preferred a small keychain fob in lieu of the card if there were a second option, or even just a second (more readable) card.
I don't think it would be that difficult to turn the bracelet into a keychain fob. A pair of scissors and a holepunch should do the trick in a crude manner, and I'm sure there are more elegant ways to go about it.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by 747FC
How many grams does the card weigh? TIA.
Old version 17.42g
New version 17.0g
747FC and WasKnown like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: Centurion
Old version 17.42g
New version 17.0g
This surprises me because I feel my new version with the mentioned blurry looking text seems heavier and more substantial. The sound it makes when dropped isn't that tinny noise anymore. But the numbers don't lie! I too was disappointed with the font. It baffles me they can't get this card correct. Why can't we have the weight of the pre-facelift card, clear text and non-peeling edges?
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:39 am

Why do we need a card with numbers (even name). I am getting many cards that no longer show a card number on the card - you have an app which shows virtual card for online purchases.
Tiramisu likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
As far as ever using it - I’m trying to envision when I would have it and not have my phone to use applepay. Oh right - never.
I've been thinking about this. I like to jog to the Equinox on the weekends and I prefer to have nothing in my pockets while jogging. And I don't much use my phone on the weekends. However as I like to buy a coffee on the way over and a protein shake on the way back, I need to carry my credit card. With this bracelet I can keep my pockets empty. I think that is a great privilege to have. Walk around with empty pockets, but have the ability to purchase whatever you may need as you are out and about.

I got the email that they Fed Ex'd my new card, but of course I'm away on a business trip. I'll catch up to my mail in a few days and I will definitely give the bracelet a try.
SusanDK, Tiramisu and exlibris like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:00 am

I don’t think the fancy Prada leather will do very well with a sweaty wrist! And don’t you need your phone or apple watch to get into EQX? Otherwise seems like a good idea.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don’t think the fancy Prada leather will do very well with a sweaty wrist! And don’t you need your phone or apple watch to get into EQX? Otherwise seems like a good idea.
You can give them your number or name at Equinox check in. They type it in and can then see your photo to verify it is you. But yes the Prada bracelet and sweat will be one of the things I will be testing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by TayEll
I too was disappointed with the font. It baffles me they can't get this card correct. Why can't we have the weight of the pre-facelift card, clear text and non-peeling edges?
Seems pretty obvious to me from this thread that most members want exactly what you’re describing. I for one will be sending the new card back and keeping the one I had.

Originally Posted by stimpy
With this bracelet I can keep my pockets empty.
Related to the above, and this could totally be misinformation, but a month or two ago when I called to opt for the “classic” design I asked why they need to change my card at all if I’m not opting for one of the Art Card designs. The rep told me that in order for the bracelet to work I need to be issued a new card and it needs to be within proximity of the bracelet. That could be complete hogwash but I do remember thinking “oh, so I can’t give the bracelet to the SO to use” and that it’s not an either/or but the bracelet and the new card need to be together.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....pockets empty. I think that is a great privilege ...
Agreed, but it's a throwback to the pre-WWII economy when the merchant knew you, and would send you a statement periodically.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:07 am

Seems pretty obvious to me from this thread that most members want exactly what you’re describing. I for one will be sending the new card back and keeping the one I had.

Related to the above, and this could totally be misinformation, but a month or two ago when I called to opt for the “classic” design I asked why they need to change my card at all if I’m not opting for one of the Art Card designs. The rep told me that in order for the bracelet to work I need to be issued a new card and it needs to be within proximity of the bracelet. That could be complete hogwash but I do remember thinking “oh, so I can’t give the bracelet to the SO to use” and that it’s not an either/or but the bracelet and the new card need to be together.
yeah that’s hogwash. The booklet that accompanies the wearable explains that it is like any other contactless payment method (like a card) and does not require a battery. It also says “there is a security linkage across each wearable/card combination. If you request a wearable replacement you will therefore receive a new card along with your wearable and your new card must be activated within 60 days”
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah that’s hogwash. The booklet that accompanies the wearable explains that it is like any other contactless payment method (like a card) and does not require a battery. It also says “there is a security linkage across each wearable/card combination. If you request a wearable replacement you will therefore receive a new card along with your wearable and your new card must be activated within 60 days”
The two are linked because they have the same encryption keys. Once the encryption changes, like it would if you reported lost either the bracelet or the card, then you need a new set.

Also I suppose you could simply cut the NFC chip out of any credit card and sew it into a bracelet. Theoretically.
BeantownFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:21 am

The two are linked because they have the same encryption keys. Once the encryption changes, like it would if you reported lost either the bracelet or the card, then you need a new set.

Also I suppose you could simply cut the NFC chip out of any credit card and sew it into a bracelet. Theoretically.
Ah, that explanation makes much more sense, they share the same expiration date and security code. Well that also means my Prada bracelet is now useless, because I told Amex I don’t want this new card with the blurry text. They tried to force it upon me a couple times (politely) and are now researching whether the previous style card can be reissued, since they simultaneously canceled my existing card which there was absolutely nothing wrong with. Either way it sounds like I’ll be updating all of my bill pays and will have a useless Prada bracelet.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 10:24 am

Also got my art card today, can verify my name on the front and security code look badly printed, with streaks that look like the card was burned going through the machine. Unreal
WasKnown likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.