Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Arrow Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Logged in to the website this morning and the following new benefits are advertised:

1. Complimentary CLEAR membership for member ($179) and family members ($50).
2. $1,000 Saks credit per year.
3. "Equinox Destination Access Membership" – need to figure out what this is.
4. The Private Suite at LAX – membership (but need to pay per visit).
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Based on the Saks benefit I think you have a personal card?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

The Saks benefit is offered to both Personal and Business Centurion cards.
mia likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:13 am

Nice find. Coincidentally I logged into my Centurion account yesterday, first time in months, and it was still the old website. It may have been months before I logged in again, but based on this post, I logged in just now and the website has been completely updated, including features of these new benefits. The Equinox benefit looks excellent but I'll have to read the fine print.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:06 am
ATK

Well, there will be a new annual fee of $5000
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:07 am

OP didn't give the full story:
  • They removed the $200 airline credit
  • They doubled the annual fee to $5,000.
These net additions aren't worth $2500.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:07 am

Any word on if this is accompanied by an official re-launch? Maybe updated card design? Hopefully no fee increase?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jay66
Any word on if this is accompanied by an official re-launch? Maybe updated card design? Hopefully no fee increase?
Fee increase.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:22 am
ATK

Have the Centurion for over 13 years, I'm cancelling it, just don't see the point to keep this card anymore.
Aaron01, Robl, Justin Case and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Honestly I'm not surprised, I have the German version and we had a 5k annual fee for over 2 years now. But we also get a free AU card - maybe US members get that now? Would be crazy if they charge 5k/AU
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Saks credit I consider useful to some degree. Equinox has no value for me unless I was already paying for Equinox or would consider substitution into Equinox from alternatives. CLEAR? I want to see it disappear, not support it.

Are these additional benefit features a benefit worth the fee increase? Not really, as Amex does this fee increase association with additional benefit feature introduction knowing full well that it’s part and parcel of making Amex more money from its installed customer base rather than to provide customers additional value for the Amex fee amount.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by flyerwma
No doubt! This is the straw that broke the camels back. Im so done with the Centurion card.My Amex platinum business card does nearly all of this for a fraction of the price.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA lifetime Platinum, Marriott lifetime Titanium Elite, Avis Chairman, most programs from the start
Angry Centurion Wants you to go away!

Every year the Centurion benefits get a little bit worse. I would guess that most Centurion card members already have many of the travel "benefits" that come with the card. In the beginning most hotels and airlines were included and upgrades on airlines and upgrades in hotels were the rule not the exception.

What other cards should current Centurion members consider switching to?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The equinox membership is worth about $2400-$3000, at least to me. I pay $190 + tax a month now for 3 Equinox gym access. The destination adds a lot more gyms to it.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Also took away Boingo and Gogo for Business cards. Which is pretty terrible as that was an incredibly useful benefit.

Could make an argument Clear helps offset that loss for business travelers. Clear was already discounted for Delta Plat which you get with Cent so discounted Clear vs Gogo subscription.

So question is occasional Equinox use plus shipping at Saka worth $2500? Pretty clear that’s no.

I expect a fee increase of some kind was coming no matter what. If it’s per authorized user, ouch indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.