Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by emcnj
I just got my delivery this morning. The wrapping to get to the actual two booklets was definitely a process.

Does anyone know if any of the new redesigns have addressed the chipping away of the material they are using to coat the card in black? My card is slowly turning into a platinum from the top down, oh the horror!
I heard they got a new supplier that produces the card back in July 2020 which addresses the "chipping" issue. I also heard that you can request the previous version of the card.

Last edited by SteveT; Aug 4, 2021 at 10:57 am Reason: .
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:57 am
Original Poster

I believe they do address that problem; in fact, you've been able to request a new card for awhile now to address the chipping issue. I was asked if I wanted a new one a few months ago. I declined because I never had the issue.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
The card is definitely becoming more "lifestyle benefit" oriented than "travel perk" oriented. For many of us, this is not a great development.
This was exactly my perception when I got the garbage box yesterday. What in the world do I need a Prada wristband card for? (Though I'm sure they will become prominent in music videos)....

Oh, and when I called about retention, complaining about devalued benefits, my ever so helpful "relationship manager" (who no, you cannot change no matter how much you don't work well with yours) sent me a box of 16 "live for a year" white roses that cost something like $300. Whatever do I need that for....

Signed,
In an Abusive Relationship and knows it ;-)
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah, the wristband thing is too much. I posted about it in the German Centurion forum earlier in the year...what a joke.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:00 pm

I am a US charter centurion member so I certainly have a lot of thoughts about where benefits have gone over the past 20+ years. While there is not a lot of substance to this package it had its desired effect at least with respect to me. I enjoyed opening it and was excited to flip through the books.

The art cards do nothing for me so I will be keeping the “classic black” card. I will request the wearable (which apparently will result in them sending me a new black card too) but doubt I will use it much - I always have my phone with me so having the wearable doesn’t add any real functionality from my standpoint.

The events seem great - the last event I was invited to was an intimate Elton John concert at Lincoln Center years ago which was great. However I don’t see how they will come close to accommodating everyone who is interested.

As for the above comments about different size pages in the book, packaging etc - I liked it. Someone spent a lot of time designing these books and from my standpoint it is as much more meaningful than their email communications.
Statman, DoctorORD and emcnj like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:46 pm

Amex is once again out of touch with the customer base. I wonder who driving the Centurion business division? I also agree with a previous poster. The box in a box with the a book with a font size that is hard to read is comical. FlyingRobot <<The two books the sent were the most ridiculously packed books ever.>>
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:26 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I don’t mind them investing in making the standard/classic physical card better. The two art variations aren’t appealing to me though.

As a business centurion card holder, I am disappointed each time they do some lifestyle thing with the benefits rather than something truly useful for a businessperson.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:47 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
These "new" cards are still made of stainless steel. The old titanium ones were pretty cool.

It's unfortunate they aren't listening to their Centurion customers.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by b8b
These "new" cards are still made of stainless steel. The old titanium ones were pretty cool.
After multiple of months with the new card, it doesn't bother so much, since the cards now support contactless payments.

However, in terms of design and feel of rigidity, solidity and quality, the old design was absolutely more premium with the raised print and titanium card. Especially the front surface material feels somewhat cheap. Actually the new Platinum is more bespoke in characteristics for its price tier. Unfortunately one may only hope for this to be revised, but I doubt it happens, since the old design didn't have contactless tap-to-pay support.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:14 am

Do people actually use a physical card anymore? I don’t even carry the Centurion card anymore - Chase Sapphire gets used for dining and just about everything else I use Apple Pay.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Do people actually use a physical card anymore? I don’t even carry the Centurion card anymore - Chase Sapphire gets used for dining and just about everything else I use Apple Pay.
Screw Apple. I only use Apple Pay if I happen to forget my card. I love Apple products but hate the company and their business practices.

Plus Apple Pay is a bit of a pain wearing a mask. It's easier to just touch my card on the reader.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Indeed. I hardly ever use the physical cards anymore. Apple Pay is more convenient.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't think we can go back to the Classic, can we?
I thought you can request the previous version of the card.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by SteveT
I thought you can request the previous version of the card.
The classic black in this case is the "new" contactless version. Not the old titanium card. So basically the same card without the art design.
SteveT likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Jay66
The classic black in this case is the "new" contactless version. Not the old titanium card. So basically the same card without the art design.
I would not refer to that as "classic". The Classic card is the image I posted above and that I had for about 20 years. I want it back.
GUWonder and BLV like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.