Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Relationship manager...hah!

Originally Posted by synzero
As a plebe who occasionally enjoys reading these Centurion threads to see how the other side lives, the one thing that astonishes me about this is that it always seemed to me the most crucial premium benefit of the card was the dedicated relationship manager. Here on FT and elsewhere I've heard legendary rumors about what a good one can do. But now -- that benefit has been changed to a "team"? Some of whom are good and some who are terrible? How is this significantly different from the Platinum concierge?

Given my very low expectations of the Platinum concierge (basically, whenever I submit a request I am happy to get ANYTHING of value out of it, and more than half the time I've been very pleasantly surprised -- knowing, as I do, to avoid doing anything that involves Amex Travel, or trying to have the concierge do something that HAS to be done at a time certain, etc.)

Even if COVID weren't happening, with this devaluation of the relationship manager, is Centurion now just a smattering of credits and maybe some airline status that would be difficult to get otherwise?
The “other side” who hold centurion cards that participate on this form like myself are very much living like your side...The rest of centurion mostly don’t give a crap about ANY centurion benefits and likely don’t use them. Much like Warren Buffett the “other side” carries a green card or 1-2 cards issued by their private bank. Centurion is a product for “well to do” individuals, not the 0.1% the fables out on the interwebs spread. If a blogger like “tpg” can get a centurion card it should tell you everything.

I don’t know where these mythical centurion concierge or relationship manager stories come from. They are utter fiction unless you are Saudi royalty charging 8 or 9 figures a year. The concierge is good at spending your $$$ to complete low hanging fruit requests. That’s about it. Pretty sure it’s the same people who handle platinum requests out of Toronto. Anything beyond the basic they fall apart. The truth is you can usually accomplish the task quicker then the time to takes to call and for a lot less. Yes they can sometimes score you a reservation to an otherwise booked restaurant. It might be a thing in NYC? I guess if money is no object they can get stuff done, but so can hired help if you are in that rarified air.

I’ve had a relationship manager and you misunderstand what their reason for existence is. They are there to primarily encourage your spend through various American Express products. The “favors” on the side are just account servicing and fixing screwups. Its basically a sales role.

Any value in Centurion is long gone. Some of the charter members like myself are still around through nostalgia/hope it’ll turn around. I doubt Most would pay the $10K initiation fee as the card stands today.

...so yah, that’s how the other side “centurions” live...still plebs, well to do plebs, but still people who resent Amex for a $5k mandatory gym membership”.
Magna, DMSFCA and synzero like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
The “other side” who hold centurion cards that participate on this form like myself are very much living like your side...The rest of centurion mostly don’t give a crap about ANY centurion benefits and likely don’t use them. Much like Warren Buffett the “other side” carries a green card or 1-2 cards issued by their private bank. Centurion is a product for “well to do” individuals, not the 0.1% the fables out on the interwebs spread. If a blogger like “tpg” can get a centurion card it should tell you everything.

I don’t know where these mythical centurion concierge or relationship manager stories come from. They are utter fiction unless you are Saudi royalty charging 8 or 9 figures a year. The concierge is good at spending your $$$ to complete low hanging fruit requests. That’s about it. Pretty sure it’s the same people who handle platinum requests out of Toronto. Anything beyond the basic they fall apart. The truth is you can usually accomplish the task quicker then the time to takes to call and for a lot less. Yes they can sometimes score you a reservation to an otherwise booked restaurant. It might be a thing in NYC? I guess if money is no object they can get stuff done, but so can hired help if you are in that rarified air.

I’ve had a relationship manager and you misunderstand what their reason for existence is. They are there to primarily encourage your spend through various American Express products. The “favors” on the side are just account servicing and fixing screwups. Its basically a sales role.

Any value in Centurion is long gone. Some of the charter members like myself are still around through nostalgia/hope it’ll turn around. I doubt Most would pay the $10K initiation fee as the card stands today.

...so yah, that’s how the other side “centurions” live...still plebs, well to do plebs, but still people who resent Amex for a $5k mandatory gym membership”.
Haha interesting. It seems like a poor marketing strategy then. It always seemed obvious the fee was exorbitant for the credits and perks involved; but if the relationship manager was actually able to handle requests reliably, that could well be worth the fee (as TPG regularly writes, as well as occasional stories posted here and elsewhere). On the other hand I’ve always imagined it is the luck of the draw; if you get assigned a good RM or not. But if you don’t even get to keep the same one and it’s just a “team” then there’s no way to be assured of any kind of consistency.

But the whole point of the card it seems to me is to act as a marketing arm to get people to funnel spend through AmEx cards, but they seem to be focused on cost cutting, and that doesn’t fit the branding. The more this kind of thing gets out the less effective the branding exercise is. Seems shortsighted.

I make a comfortable living as a tech company exec but nothing like the spend rumored to be needed for this card, but without a dedicated RM it seems obvious this would not be worth it. I have been totally happy with my Platinum card, however; I maximize the credits each year (more difficult with COVID but they added some credits that put me over the edge) and I use the concierge for things they are good at; basically, restaurant recommendations and reservations. In that area my wife and I have had some great experiences, and compared to the Visa “Infinite” concierge there was no comparison - the Sapphire Reserve concierge has been much worse than just doing things on my own - but the Toronto team has pulled off some nice things for my wife and I on a number of occasions. Since the credits reduce the effective AF for me down to close to zero the lounge access and concierge and theft and warranty and return protection have all put me well ahead on that card.

Seems like the combination of increased fees and reduced service doesn’t bode well for the value prop of the Centurion card right now. Legends don’t last forever!

Last edited by synzero; Aug 14, 2020 at 11:48 pm
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

Wait, the account servicing and fixing screwups is a huge benefit. Have you ever tried to call Chase for servicing one of their Visa/MC cards? And I imagine that normal Amex card servicing isn't so great either. At least the Centurion customer service appears to care. This has always been the number one benefit for me.

And I really appreciated and used the Equinox benefit, but COVID has killed that one off. I'm not sure when steam rooms and jacuzzi's will ever come back.
DMSFCA likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by stimpy
Wait, the account servicing and fixing screwups is a huge benefit. Have you ever tried to call Chase for servicing one of their Visa/MC cards? And I imagine that normal Amex card servicing isn't so great either. At least the Centurion customer service appears to care. This has always been the number one benefit for me.

And I really appreciated and used the Equinox benefit, but COVID has killed that one off. I'm not sure when steam rooms and jacuzzi's will ever come back.
I'm curious to hear what these "account servicing and fixing screwups" benefits are with the Centurion card. I have to say my experience with Platinum card customer service has been generally very good (again: not including Amex Travel which i avoid based on stories I've heard -- that is an area that Amex could really overhaul quite frankly). The return protection has been amazing -- unlike the stories I've heard of Chase's similar benefit. And the insurance also covers theft, which Chase's insurance does not, etc. I haven't had a chance to use the medical evacuation insurance but it's rumored to actually work from many online accounts.

The more I read this the more I'm realizing the plebeian Platinum already is pretty damn good as it is. With some weak spots: Amex Travel being the main one, relying on the concierge for anything that actually needs to happen rather than just things that would be nice if they come through, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:36 pm

A key thing that's being missed is that relationship managers are not exclusive to Centurion members. Anyone with significant spend can or has one. To reiterate, the primary role of a relationship manager is sales. I've not heard from a relationship manager in nearly 10 years, right around the time I shifted my charge activity around to other banks (mainly chase) for the bonus categories. For reference, low 7 figure spend will attract a relationship manager to reach out regardless of product. I don't think they even exist on the personal product side (someone who has one with a personal card please chime in).

The dedicated centurion team is just marketing "fluff" from my perspective.I don't think the Centurion rep team is all that large or has all that much turnover in some cases I think I've talked with some of these reps for 20 years. If there is a "dedicated" team assigned to me I've yet to hear from any of them.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:39 am

Another "other sider" here..... I have to agree........ I have a relationship manager with my Plat Business but do not with my Cent. I have found Centurion customer service to be good and they can resolve most issues. Plat CS is ok but I use Centurion CS for my and my families issues. The concierge is so/so. They've helped out in a few instances and failed in others. Centurion Travel is ok but I like to do everything on line but they want me to talk live...

I concur, as a fellow charter member the shine is long gone especially with my travel ground to a halt.

Jury's still out on my December renewal at the higher rate but this time it'll take a lot more consideration.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A key thing that's being missed is that relationship managers are not exclusive to Centurion members. Anyone with significant spend can or has one. To reiterate, the primary role of a relationship manager is sales. I've not heard from a relationship manager in nearly 10 years, right around the time I shifted my charge activity around to other banks (mainly chase) for the bonus categories. For reference, low 7 figure spend will attract a relationship manager to reach out regardless of product. I don't think they even exist on the personal product side (someone who has one with a personal card please chime in).

The dedicated centurion team is just marketing "fluff" from my perspective.I don't think the Centurion rep team is all that large or has all that much turnover in some cases I think I've talked with some of these reps for 20 years. If there is a "dedicated" team assigned to me I've yet to hear from any of them.
I have a personal Centurion and have a dedicated RM. She's good and efficient, but I've not had her do anything earth shattering yet. I use the service mainly for 'I need to to be somewhere near Lake Garda for two days, please book me a room in a R&C or SLH hotel and make some good restaurant recommendations please.'
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:25 pm

Could we possibly be confusing the RM with the "dedicated" concierge Centurion members can request?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Various
The new team model on US Centurion Cards isn't great - it's a big step backwards for anyone that has/or previously had a dedicated RM. I will be on my 3rd 'team' since November as of this week - which is a shame, as previously the RM that looked after my account on US side was really good until they were promoted in November, very helpful and knew how to manage my account as needed. The two 'Membership Executives' that have been on point to oversee my account since November added little value, no proactivity, had to chase them down for simple follow-ups and in some instances got in the way. Last week was the final straw when they didn't want to escalate an issue I had brought to them around discrepancies between online FHR booking and booking via them for same hotel, and just for comedy measure they said they couldn't even see my travel booking and they'd need to transfer me back to the person in the team that made the booking; kind of defeats the point in having someone to oversee my US account. Was able to speak to a VP at AmEx that I had engaged with previously, and they are now finding me a new Membership Executive and team to service my US account.

Now on flipside, I've had the same Relationship Manager (RM) on my UK Centurion account since 2008, and they are one of the reasons I still keep my UK card - proactive, helpful, and knows how I like my account to be managed and what my travel/lifestyle preferences are. So guess it all comes down to who you get assigned, there are some good ones out there, and then there are some not so good ones.
GUWonder and BLV like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I got an email from my local Equinox, addressing me as a Destination member.

Billing: Your first billing will take place on September 9. It will cover the period of September 2 to September 30. Any credit due for March will be available in the rewards section of the app on opening day. If you have changed your credit card recently, please click here to update your account.

So I guess that means Amex has not been paying for our memberships since February. They have been pocketing that money and giving us no reimbursement. Class action lawsuit anyone?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

Billing: Your first billing will take place on September 9. It will cover the period of September 2 to September 30. Any credit due for March will be available in the rewards section of the app on opening day. If you have changed your credit card recently, please click here to update your account.

So I guess that means Amex has not been paying for our memberships since February. They have been pocketing that money and giving us no reimbursement. Class action lawsuit anyone?
Could it also be a billing issue at Equinox?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I got an email from Centurion....

Good Morning Mr. Stimpy

Welcome to the next level of servicing. My name is XXX and I will be your dedicated Centurion Membership Executive. My team of Membership Managers and I are committed to getting to know you and your preferences to curate a more personalized servicing experience.

With this new approach, you will have access to your Membership Team when you reach out to Centurion Servicing; we are committed to managing your Membership end to end, 7 days a week. Your team of Membership Managers are experts in their field, so whether it’s assistance with booking a trip, securing dining reservations, or servicing your Card, we will handle it. I will be here along the way to oversee every interaction and help you make the most of your Membership.

Your new Membership Team is excited to meet you and we will be available for you as of 8/24/2020. I will be reaching out shortly to schedule an introductory call, but if you would like to reach me sooner, simply reply to this email.

As your dedicated Membership Team we welcome your feedback along the way as we strive to exceed your expectations. We look forward to showing you all that Centurion Membership Services has to offer.

Note that "my team" was available to me on 8/24 and this email came on 9/3. It's kind of hard to feel too special.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sounds very gushy.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 7:48 pm

Did you ever find out what happened with this? I've had a couple odd emails from Equinox this week. I originally activated the AmEx Cent / Equinox membership online last November but had never visited a location since I don't have one anywhere nearby. I originally signed up with the thought that I might find one when traveling, which hasn't happened.

Yesterday, I received an email with the subject, "You just joined Equinox ...," welcoming me. Today, I received a personal email from the Pilates Manager at one of the NYC Equinox telling me he looked forward to my 1-on-1 training session, and asking if Tuesday at 9 am or Thursday at 6 pm was best for me. I live a thousand miles away from NYC.

There must be some kind of updating happening between AmEx and Equinox - possibly related to their reopening - that has the records mixed up.

So I got an email from Centurion....

Note that "my team" was available to me on 8/24 and this email came on 9/3. It's kind of hard to feel too special.
Ah, but you are special. At least you got an email with a team assigned. I haven't received one.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Did you ever find out what happened with this?
Not yet. I will eventually reach out to my new dedicated Centurion Membership Executive and ask, unless he calls me first.

I did go to the Equinox Hudson Yards in NYC for a 7am outdoor yoga class. I've done outdoor yoga in Asia and California in tranquil settings, but this was weird in Manhattan with the noise and looking up at skyscrapers. Still that was ok even though we had to wear a mask. Later I went up to the gym and tried the running machine, but I felt I couldn't get enough oxygen through my mask so I gave that up and went jogging in the park where I don't need a mask.
SusanDK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.