Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:05 pm

Anyone hear anything about the recent updates to the centurion card? Spoke to my concierge and she said some new updates would be sent via mail tomorrow, but that they were a surprise and she couldn’t tell me anymore over the phone. I’m away and won’t be available to pick up my mail until a few weeks… maybe someone else has heard something?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

I received two books detailing "The New Centurion". Here are the updates:

1. You can get a card with art on it (two selections, or keep original all black).
2. You can get a Prada wristband that acts as a tap to pay for the card.
3. There are various events being schedule starting in October at various cities for complimentary admission (Yo Yo Ma concert, Salman Rushdie talk, cooking, art, et al.).

(1 is not a joke).

My takeaway is there has been pushback after the fee doubling, and this is their way of addressing it in the midst of a pandemic that seems to be continuing. The card is definitely becoming more "lifestyle benefit" oriented than "travel perk" oriented. For many of us, this is not a great development.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by nyc2cal

1. You can get a card with art on it (two selections, or keep original all black).
3. There are various events being schedule starting in October at various cities for complimentary admission (Yo Yo Ma concert, Salman Rushdie talk, cooking, art, et al.).

(1 is not a joke).

My takeaway is there has been pushback after the fee doubling, and this is their way of addressing it in the midst of a pandemic that seems to be continuing. The card is definitely becoming more "lifestyle benefit" oriented than "travel perk" oriented. For many of us, this is not a great development.

great, thanks for sharing! Good to know I’m not missing out on some crazy new updates. I definitely agree, still does not justify the AF price increase.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle

Indeed, these are correct. I assume you're in the US, based on the timing of this news. The new Centurion was already launched as a first in certain European markets in the spring.

(1 is not a joke).
Artsy personalisation is all fine. However #2 is a bit impractical to my taste.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Artsy personalisation is all fine. However #2 is a bit impractical to my taste.
I'm not a fan, it doesn't really fit well and looks a bit strange, at least on a man.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If I have a choice, I would prefer to return to the classic card design.
GUWonder and ironmanjt like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
If I have a choice, I would prefer to return to the classic card design.
You do have a choice, the art cards are optional and I would do the same
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Pictures of the art-card designs and the wristband are in this thread: Centurion Germany - A New Generation
Magna and NYtoCHI like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Jay66
You do have a choice, the art cards are optional and I would do the same
I don't think we can go back to the Classic, can we?
Attached Images  
Magna likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't think we can go back to the Classic, can we?
Short answer: no.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: More than I care to have, but never the ones I need.
The two books the sent were the most ridiculously packed books ever. Brown cardboard box with a white box inside with a white envelope inside with two black books inside. The books are outrageously ostentatious and nearly impossible to flip through due to the random sized pages each made of different material. The new living stuff seems like a pretty cool perk, but I suspect all availability will vanish within minutes of it going live. The art on the new cards is "meh", at best, and the Prada "wearable" is hideous, however, you could probably get the chip out of it easily and then glue it to the inside of your Apple Watch band 😂

For those of you that are curious, AMEX has all the info posted publicly with no login required at https://www.americanexpress.com/en-g...new-centurion/
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:10 am

BTW in some markets they charge 100EUR/USD to change the design after the deadline. Choose carefully
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot
The new living stuff seems like a pretty cool perk, but I suspect all availability will vanish within minutes of it going live.
Actually no. I registered when it went live last May. All my 6 requests where honoured for concerts/events in several countries in Europe including Yo Yo Ma and Alicia Keys. I got an email a few weeks ago basically saying that registration is still open and there is still availability for several things on the list (as of a few weeks ago).
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:43 am

Here is what the "Art" cards look like:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33297416-post54.html
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:49 am

I just got my delivery this morning. The wrapping to get to the actual two booklets was definitely a process.

Does anyone know if any of the new redesigns have addressed the chipping away of the material they are using to coat the card in black? My card is slowly turning into a platinum from the top down, oh the horror!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.