Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge LAX TBIT (opened March 9, 2020; reopened June 15, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion Lounge LAX TBIT (opened March 9, 2020; reopened June 15, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:41 am

Is there a private area/room for Centurion cardholders? Doesn't look like it - would've thought they would add something for Centurion only (like in Hong Kong) in one of the biggest Centurion markets in the world.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by honflyer
Is there a private area/room for Centurion cardholders? Doesn't look like it - would've thought they would add something for Centurion only (like in Hong Kong) in one of the biggest Centurion markets in the world.
This is a big complaint I have. It's called the Centurion lounge. And yes us Centurion members get a free glass of Champagne and supposedly reserved seating, but not much else. I've not been to the HKG lounge as I prefer the Cathay First class lounge, but I did once go to the private Centurion room at MEX which was a pretty special benefit for Centurion members. Why can't they do this at LAX with all the space they have?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
Why can't they do this at LAX with all the space they have?
Probably because none of the US lounges have special safe spaces for Centurion card members. Y'all just have to make do apparently, hanging out with the commoners and using your reserved tables as needed.
Kacee and mhdena like this.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: Centurion
Originally Posted by stimpy
This is a big complaint I have. It's called the Centurion lounge. And yes us Centurion members get a free glass of Champagne and supposedly reserved seating, but not much else. I've not been to the HKG lounge as I prefer the Cathay First class lounge, but I did once go to the private Centurion room at MEX which was a pretty special benefit for Centurion members. Why can't they do this at LAX with all the space they have?
Couldn't agree with you more. It'd certainly be nice for them to integrate some more Centurion specific privileges in the US lounges. I'm still holding my breath that at JFK they might have something cooking for us. We'll see!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by 30k

- huge shower rooms but only 2 of them. I don't know why they decided to have only 2 shower rooms and such small bathrooms for this lounge. Doesn't make sense to me.
- spa wasn't yet set up but the room was large
- breakfast bar had some really nice food offerings. Wasn't self serve, though
At this current time, I don't think self serve is a good idea. A bunch of travelers, some transferring from international flights touch serving utensils everyone uses.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:53 pm

I tried to visit the Centurion Lounge at LAX two days ago, and was turned away even though I am AMEX Platinum. After checking out my card and my boarding pass, the lounge dragon (even though he was male) told me I could not enter because my layover time from arrival at 5 pm, to departure at 11:30 pm was too long - that lounge policy was to accept only layovers of 3 hours or less. He told me I was welcome to come back 8:30, but not before. I found the public rejection in an atrium full of strangers to be embarrassing and humiliating - hardly what AMEX should be doing to its Platinum members. Needless to say, I won't be frequenting Centurion lounges at any airport ever again and will look at other Platinum "perks" with a somewhat jaundiced eye.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
I tried to visit the Centurion Lounge at LAX two days ago, and was turned away even though I am AMEX Platinum. After checking out my card and my boarding pass, the lounge dragon (even though he was male) told me I could not enter because my layover time from arrival at 5 pm, to departure at 11:30 pm was too long - that lounge policy was to accept only layovers of 3 hours or less. He told me I was welcome to come back 8:30, but not before. I found the public rejection in an atrium full of strangers to be embarrassing and humiliating - hardly what AMEX should be doing to its Platinum members. Needless to say, I won't be frequenting Centurion lounges at any airport ever again and will look at other Platinum "perks" with a somewhat jaundiced eye.
We will not admit Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Member's same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with a connecting flight.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by 30k
This does not apply to Platinum and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Card Members with a connecting flight.
Then I really don't understand why I was rejected by Centurion. My boarding passes - all issued by Alaska Airlines - clearly showed I had arrived from Loreto, Mexico on Alaska metal and would be leaving on American Airlines metal for the two subsequent flights. That is the classic definition of a connecting flight, is it not?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I.... I won't be frequenting Centurion lounges at any airport ever again and will look at other Platinum "perks" with a somewhat jaundiced eye.
One poorly trained attendant made a mistake, and you are forgoing a paid benefit?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: Centurion
Sounds to me like the front desk attendant wasn't familiarized enough with the policies. Bad show for sure. I wouldn't let it stop you from enjoying the other lounges and giving the LAX Centurion another chance in the future.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond Plus, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Unless the rule changed, members on connecting flights can access the lounges prior to three hours before departure. Please don't let one employee keep you from enjoying this great benefit.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia
One poorly trained attendant made a mistake, and you are forgoing a paid benefit?
Originally Posted by TayEll
Sounds to me like the front desk attendant wasn't familiarized enough with the policies.
Perhaps he was poorly trained, or perhaps the attendants simply didn't want a tired old lady in a wheelchair sitting around their lounge for what would have been by then 4 1/2 hours (6pm ish to boarding at 10:45pm). Might lower the tone of the place.

In any event, when I phoned the AMEX Platinum desk I was told they had received a number of calls from others with similar complaints about this three-hour cutoff policy, so clearly there is a problem here, either in interpretation or application.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:52 pm

Perhaps he was poorly trained, or perhaps the attendants simply didn't want a tired old lady in a wheelchair sitting around their lounge for what would have been by then 4 1/2 hours (6pm ish to boarding at 10:45pm). Might lower the tone of the place.

In any event, when I phoned the AMEX Platinum desk I was told they had received a number of calls from others with similar complaints about this three-hour cutoff policy, so clearly there is a problem here, either in interpretation or application.
The lounge just opened on Monday so I suspect not all staff are fully trained. It stinks that you were denied access, but stand firm next time and know what the rules are.

Centurion lounges are great and you should take advantage of a benefit that you paid for.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
At this current time, I don't think self serve is a good idea. A bunch of travelers, some transferring from international flights touch serving utensils everyone uses.
The fear of self-serve / buffet items is overblown. A bunch of travelers touch lots of things that everyone else touches, every second in every airport every day (including constantly passing items to service staff).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gengar
The fear of self-serve / buffet items is overblown. A bunch of travelers touch lots of things that everyone else touches, every second in every airport every day (including constantly passing items to service staff).
That's why you need to wash your hands & don't touch your face. How many people wash their hands after getting buffet food???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.