Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by steveman518
That's because NH is not one of the IAP airlines, whereas JL is
Right you are!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Just wanted to share. I recently booked JFK-MXP, ATH-EWR on Emirates (fifth freedom) in First class. The public price was $5900 but Amex IAP quoted me for $4800. Huge savings!
ijgordon, af fp, Statman and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Just wanted to share. I recently booked JFK-MXP, ATH-EWR on Emirates (fifth freedom) in First class. The public price was $5900 but Amex IAP quoted me for $4800. Huge savings!
Oh wow, that's awesome! I've updated the Wiki, it's actually the first Emirates post since the revamping of the program.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold = nothing, UA Million Miler; Alaska MVP Gold 100K
Just booked (two seats) EWR/LAX (UA) LAX/AKL (NZ) AKL/ZQN (NZ) returning SYD/AKL (NZ) AKL/LAX (NZ) LAX/EWR (UA) - Business Class except AKL/ZQN and SYD/AKL.
IAP: $6,571.00 pp
Published: $8,200.00 pp
Late January 2020
Great savings!!
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:46 am

Help quote fare from BOS->KUL on QATAR

All

I'd like to ask help to quote RT fare from BOS->KUL on QATAR J class using the IAP program. ITA fare is about $2800. Dates 9/15 - 9/22.

Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahoward678
All

I'd like to ask help to quote RT fare from BOS->KUL on QATAR J class using the IAP program. ITA fare is about $2800. Dates 9/15 - 9/22.

Thanks
Why are you asking us? YOU need to call Amex, assuming you have the correct card.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:11 pm

I don't the amex card. I was just wondering if it's worth it.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:31 pm

The savings alone from IAP and evidenced by the posts in this thread make the Platinum card more than worth it if you are purchasing these types of fares.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The first 12 months is always worthwhile, because the credits will almost certainly exceed the annual fee. Then, you will have sufficient experience to judge if the benefits are a good match for your travel pattern and style.
milypan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:15 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by FragranceMarketingGuy
Business Class except AKL/ZQN and SYD/AKL.
If you call Air New Zealand they will give you a premium seat selection for those legs.
As an aside, most agency groups have excellent offers on NZ, without the need for Amex
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
You can get the Ameriprise version of the Plat for free for the first year. You can then see for yourself if the benefits are worth it.

While not always the case, it seems that people using IAP report receiving 12-20% discounts over public rates. On this page alone, two posters report 18% and 19% fare differences.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
You can get the Ameriprise version of the Plat for free for the first year. You can then see for yourself if the benefits are worth it.
Not anymore... They killed that deal - no more free rides!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
If you buy business class airfare from one of the partners, this program alone can save you more than your annual fee. Under the old "buy one get one free" program I saved $4500 going to Australia. Even 10% off a DL/AF ticket is $300-$500 for me.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
The first 12 months is always worthwhile, because the credits will almost certainly exceed the annual fee. Then, you will have sufficient experience to judge if the benefits are a good match for your travel pattern and style.
Best advice yet. ^
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:17 pm

SQ LAX-SIN roundtrip (nonstops)
fare basis D15USRLT/IAP
$3376 down to $2936
Statman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.