Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by navatwal
Looking to search for IAP fares, is there any way to search online? Also if i book for United will I get the usual PQP Credit?
Yes. Login and click Travel on the left side. Then Book International Airline Program.

Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by navatwal
Looking to search for IAP fares, is there any way to search online? Also if i book for United will I get the usual PQP Credit?
Another poster answered your first question, but just to be clear on the second question, United is not a participant in the IAP program.

Regards
Old Aug 3, 2023, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This has deteriorated substantively in recent months. Not only less airlines participating but I have now seen fares that show 'IAP fare' that are 100% identical to regular published fares.

Amex better takes a look at this if they want to stay in that business ...
Old Aug 3, 2023, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
This has deteriorated substantively in recent months. Not only less airlines participating but I have now seen fares that show 'IAP fare' that are 100% identical to regular published fares.

Amex better takes a look at this if they want to stay in that business ...
I don't know what kind of searches you are doing, but I was looking at some J fares for Thanksgiving travel and the various flights were pricing at a 8-17% discount on IAP vs. what was showing on Google flights.

The bigger discounts are to Asian destinations.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Big Downside to IAP fare booking?

I've researched a an open-jaw J trip HNL-EU that appears to be about 30% less if booked through IAP compared to an identical itinerary on Delta.

It just seems too good to be true, so I am wondering about downsides I should consider. The big one I see is that if I booked this trip on UA (for about the higher price Delta fare), if I needed to cancel, I could bank the money in UA and use it on another trip. I figure that if I purchase a cancel-for-any reason trip insurance for the IAP booking, I'm minimizing some of the risk of cancellation.

Any pearls of wisdom on evaluating this great IAP fare and risks that I have not considered?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
I figure that if I purchase a cancel-for-any reason trip insurance for the IAP booking, I'm minimizing some of the risk of cancellation.
I once booked an IAP fare via AmEx travel and did change my return flight (from a 2-connection to 1 connection itinerary) with no problem via AmEx, but I think this is very much a YMMV situation.

Curious about the cancel-for-any-reason trip insurance you mentioned. Do you have a good source you recommend? I recently looked into it, albeit briefly, and the cost was high enough to wipe out any discount I was getting on the fare.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I've researched a an open-jaw J trip HNL-EU that appears to be about 30% less if booked through IAP compared to an identical itinerary on Delta.

It just seems too good to be true, so I am wondering about downsides I should consider. The big one I see is that if I booked this trip on UA (for about the higher price Delta fare), if I needed to cancel, I could bank the money in UA and use it on another trip. I figure that if I purchase a cancel-for-any reason trip insurance for the IAP booking, I'm minimizing some of the risk of cancellation.

Any pearls of wisdom on evaluating this great IAP fare and risks that I have not considered?

Thanks in advance.
Update: Found a great F fare on LH for the price of J, so booked with LH.

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I once booked an IAP fare via AmEx travel and did change my return flight (from a 2-connection to 1 connection itinerary) with no problem via AmEx, but I think this is very much a YMMV situation.

Curious about the cancel-for-any-reason trip insurance you mentioned. Do you have a good source you recommend? I recently looked into it, albeit briefly, and the cost was high enough to wipe out any discount I was getting on the fare.
I've never used CFAR insurance, but the thought came to mind. My booking class on the tickets I just purchased has a $500 penalty per passenger, so we will just include that in our regular travel insurance.

Glad you had a good experience with IAP.
SusanDK and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

Thanks in advance.
Keep in mind that there is significant trip cancellation and delay insurance included when using the Amex Plat card. It's not cancel-for-any-reason, but it does cover a lot of contingencies.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I am looking at 4 travelers going to India in December for 2 weeks. I am seeing pretty significant savings (18%) on Qatar Airways for our routing. In fact, it is cheaper than several business-class brokers could get.

Anyhow, my question is, if the fares drop (Christmas premium now), can I rebook at the lower fare? If so, where does the flight credit sit?
Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
if the fares drop (Christmas premium now), can I rebook at the lower fare? If so, where does the flight credit sit?
Thanks!
I would not recommend an IAP purchase unless you intend to fly the tickets exactly as purchased. Making any kind of change is a nightmare. To answer the specific question, whether you can cancel, rebook, and get credit back depends on the fare rules (and may be subject to a fee). And even if fare rules allow some sort of credit without incurring a change fee, it would only be on QR, it would have to be booked through Expedia dba Amex Travel, and it would be subject to significant restrictions.
dw, findark, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Thanks! I should have added one wrinkle, the first leg is on American to DFW. So would the credit be on American or Qatar?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Thanks! I should have added one wrinkle, the first leg is on American to DFW. So would the credit be on American or Qatar?
It would be on the carrier that issues the ticket.

I'm not sure you're fully grasping the issue though. When you purchase an IAP fare, you pray there is no schedule change, because you don't ever want to be talking to a poorly trained offshore Expedia rep who's working off a script about a change to the ticket. Buying an IAP fare with an expectation of canceling and rebooking is simply not a good idea.
dw and NDtraveler like this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not recommend an IAP purchase unless you intend to fly the tickets exactly as purchased. Making any kind of change is a nightmare. To answer the specific question, whether you can cancel, rebook, and get credit back depends on the fare rules (and may be subject to a fee). And even if fare rules allow some sort of credit without incurring a change fee, it would only be on QR, it would have to be booked through Expedia dba Amex Travel, and it would be subject to significant restrictions.
This 100%. To the OP-- If you are able to get a credit, to use it you will have to rebook through Expedia/Amex Travel which will be the issue. Even if the fares drop, do not expect that the Expedia agents will have access to those fares when you try to use your credit.

Last year I tried to make a date change to an AA ticket bought through Amex Travel Online (technically wasn't discounted through IAP but was discounted through whatever program AA had in place with Amex last year). Even though I could pull up the exact same fare I paid for the new date on Amex Travel Online (and this was a domestic ticket with no change fees, so it should have been $0 additional collect), the Agents could not see those fares at all. In fact, the fares they were quoting me were 2x to 3x the fare that was showing up on Amex Travel Online. Meanwhile, the same fare could be purchased directly from AA for about 10-15% more than what I had paid (sans the discount.) Needless to say, it was an incredibly frustrating experience.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It would be on the carrier that issues the ticket.

I'm not sure you're fully grasping the issue though. When you purchase an IAP fare, you pray there is no schedule change, because you don't ever want to be talking to a poorly trained offshore Expedia rep who's working off a script about a change to the ticket. Buying an IAP fare with an expectation of canceling and rebooking is simply not a good idea.
I have had airlines change the schedule on a few of my IAP fares and have never had any problems contacting the airline directly to resolve any issues.

In my experience, if the airline makes the change on their end, they don't have any issues helping you directly even if you booked via an OTA.

It's when YOU are making the changes that causes the problems when you book via OTAs.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made a voluntary change to my return leg on an IAP ticket last fall and was expecting the worst. Yes, it seemed like an offshore agent reading from a script, but it was surprisingly not painful. I gave them the new flight information, they confirmed it an even exchange, and sent the ticket for reissue.

That said sometimes airlines place additional restrictions on the use of flight credits for TA-issued tickets. I believe UA does not give back any residual credit. So if you have a $500 flight and cancel, and then later (or immediately!) go to use it on a $400 flight, you forfeit the residual $100. This wouldnt be the case for direct bookings. There are also some complicated nuances on AA in differentiating between trip credit and flight credit. I have no idea what QRs policies may be.

So really, just another caveat emptor, not specifically related to the IAP agents themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.