FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not recommend an IAP purchase unless you intend to fly the tickets exactly as purchased. Making any kind of change is a nightmare. To answer the specific question, whether you can cancel, rebook, and get credit back depends on the fare rules (and may be subject to a fee). And even if fare rules allow some sort of credit without incurring a change fee, it would only be on QR, it would have to be booked through Expedia dba Amex Travel, and it would be subject to significant restrictions.
This 100%. To the OP-- If you are able to get a credit, to use it you will have to rebook through Expedia/Amex Travel which will be the issue. Even if the fares drop, do not expect that the Expedia agents will have access to those fares when you try to use your credit.

Last year I tried to make a date change to an AA ticket bought through Amex Travel Online (technically wasn't discounted through IAP but was discounted through whatever program AA had in place with Amex last year). Even though I could pull up the exact same fare I paid for the new date on Amex Travel Online (and this was a domestic ticket with no change fees, so it should have been $0 additional collect), the Agents could not see those fares at all. In fact, the fares they were quoting me were 2x to 3x the fare that was showing up on Amex Travel Online. Meanwhile, the same fare could be purchased directly from AA for about 10-15% more than what I had paid (sans the discount.) Needless to say, it was an incredibly frustrating experience.