Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Business Platinum Offer 100k/$5k+$10k - PUBLIC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:39 pm

Received my card 1st class USPS finally, and they paid $3.78 to mail it. You'd think they could spring for a couple extra bucks to overnight it with the $450 fee. So angry at Amex now, I had almost $10k of spend this past weekend.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:50 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by paradox
I have a large payment due for season tickets to a sports team. Unfortunately, the team does not accept American Express. Three questions:

1) Would there be an issue using Plastiq, paying with AmEx to have a check sent to the team? That's not using the card to buy a cash equivalent, is it?

2) If the Plastiq payment were allowed, should I make the payment in the amount of $5125 ($5000 payment + 2.5% Plastiq fee of $125), so it shows up as a $5000 payment qualifying for the 50 percent bonus? Or am I reading too much into the requirements and being overly cautious?

3) Is it possible to receive the number immediately, so I can initiate the Plastiq check right away? The deadline for my first installment is soon, and I'd hate to miss out on using Plastiq, because it'll be difficult to meet the minimum spend if I couldn't use it for all the installments.
Just got the card last week and have already used Plastiq. As per the phone rep, you don't have to worry about splitting charges to meet the spend numbers. Think you have to wait for the card, but you can request expedited delivery before you get approved.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:22 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by paradox
I
2) If the Plastiq payment were allowed, should I make the payment in the amount of $5125 ($5000 payment + 2.5% Plastiq fee of $125), so it shows up as a $5000 payment qualifying for the 50 percent bonus? Or am I reading too much into the requirements and being overly cautious?
I haven't used Plastiq for a $5K spend, but I paid my property taxes, directly through the tax collector's website, and the fee posted separately. Luckily, the base purchase was $5000+, plus the fee. This is a good point for people who are calculating the expenditure: Make sure the base purchase is $5000, not including the add-on fees.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:13 pm

Hello guys, does anyone know how long it takes for referral MR bonus to be posted? Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:32 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Sorry, misunderstood #2, but #1 and #3 are ok.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:38 pm
CDO
Suspended

If one cancels the card before the statement cuts does one loose the accrued points? (have another MR card in the account).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:32 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by silver02accord
I own a legitimate business with declared income and already have a business plat under my name for the business. Looking at having my wife apply for a biz plat card under the same business name but her SSN. We file a joint tax return. Any potential issues here or business as usual?
Did you get an answer on this? I have the same question.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
If I make a purchase for $21k in one go will I get 100k sign up bonus in one go? Or will I be better off spending $5.5k and then $15.5k as a second transaction?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by rownada
If I make a purchase for $21k in one go will I get 100k sign up bonus in one go? Or will I be better off spending $5.5k and then $15.5k as a second transaction?
It shouldn't matter for the sign up bonus, but there are some overlapping spend bonuses that trigger at $5000. I'll run through the ones that I know about, so you can figure out which ones will help you the most.

1) There's a Small Business bonus running until the end of the year, if your vendor is a small business, you could get another point. Enrollment is required

2) We've got some spend bonuses for x2 on a couple of MR earning cards. They all trigger at single expenditures of $5000 or more. It might be worth a call to see if the offer is on your account, before you make the spend. You would get the most points, under that scenario, by doing a series of $5000 purchases. One expense of $5000 would trigger it once, one expense of $20000 would trigger it once, but 4 expenditures of $5000, which equal $20000, would trigger it 4x.

3) The 0.5 spend bonus, a new feature of the Amex Business Platinum card, triggers on purchases of $5000 or more for this particular card. You'll get that extra half a point regardless of the spend, after a single purchase hits $5000 or more. So $20000 would get an extra half a point, or 10000 points, whether the spend was one time or 4x$5000.

Amex does not stack bonuses. I haven't tested anything regarding the spend bonuses that I mentioned in item #2, and the Small Business bonuses stacking (# 1), but I think they won't.
Regarding the extra half point (item #3) and the special offer (item #2) that I have for spending $5K or more, this appears to be stacking, but I can't really tell until the points post later in the month.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by silver02accord
I own a legitimate business with declared income and already have a business plat under my name for the business. Looking at having my wife apply for a biz plat card under the same business name but her SSN. We file a joint tax return. Any potential issues here or business as usual?
Originally Posted by ymx
Did you get an answer on this? I have the same question.

Business as usual... you're fine to apply under the same business using different SS numbers. You can even refer your wife and get referral points for doing so.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:19 am

So, is there a spot on the online application to ask for Amex to expedite the card? I am not seeing anything and I really don't want to call and do a phone application if I can avoid that.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by exoticfusion
So, is there a spot on the online application to ask for Amex to expedite the card? I am not seeing anything and I really don't want to call and do a phone application if I can avoid that.
Nope, so the only way to expedite is to call if your card goes to pending. If you get instant approval you cannot request expedited shipping. I just went through this whole ordeal and there was nothing that chat, phone, or Twitter agents could do to expedite. I missed out on at least $18k in spend over the weekend and now I;m going to be struggling to meet spend requirements. Totally my fault for waiting till the last minute though.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Superorb
Nope, so the only way to expedite is to call if your card goes to pending. If you get instant approval you cannot request expedited shipping. I just went through this whole ordeal and there was nothing that chat, phone, or Twitter agents could do to expedite. I missed out on at least $18k in spend over the weekend and now I;m going to be struggling to meet spend requirements. Totally my fault for waiting till the last minute though.
One way to guarantee pending is to freeze exp credit report and call in with a pin.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:46 pm

Assuming I do the exp CR freeze to get expedited shipping (and then triple-dip before the end of the year), would you consider this card to be worth it if I'm not going to be able to trigger the extra 50k in points?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:05 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Business as usual... you're fine to apply under the same business using different SS numbers. You can even refer your wife and get referral points for doing so.
But my business is a corp and the application form says that a corp needs to apply under the EIN. Can she apply under her name under the same business and EIN that my card is under?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.