Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:09 pm

Interesting damn they are doing everything they can do to get out of this offer. That also likely explains why Happy's friend got whacked since he/she to had an Ameriprise. Good luck with your fight.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Aug 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm Reason: spelling is hard
Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:32 pm

100k was subtracted from my account as well, agent citing returns as the cause; however, the only credits on the account are the reimbursements for GE. Currently holding for additional information, let's see where this goes.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I suspect that cancelling the card and getting fee back was the reason Amex swung the hammer here. And it's hard to have any sympathy for those trying such antics. You'd think 100,000 MRs plus lounge and other benefits for a net $50 would suffice.
Initially, I agreed with this, and I said something similar upthread. But given how poorly Amex has handled this whole situation, I've changed my mind. Amex's response has been sleezy, so I don't blame anyone who decides to screw them on this deal.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:28 pm

nobody here is talking much even though such a big crackdown by Amex?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
It is a serious IT flaw. Read this post. It is interesting reading and explains it exactly. He explains that if you return the item that had taken you over the threshold, they consider that you did not meet the minimum spend even if you make subsequent purchases. It is the actual purchase that takes you over the minimum spend that they count and if that purchase is returned, the system deems that you did not meet the spend. The OP of this post cautions against returning the purchase that actually took you over the minimum spend threshold. That transaction is the only one that matters to them.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26897765-post351.html
That's really interesting.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:07 pm

I've always played it safe when it comes to min spend requirement, always counting GE credits, airline credits, AMEX offers and any other credits-- against MSR. Some people insisted that those don't count against you, but the way I saw it, why take the chance. Good luck to you guys in getting that 100K back from AMEX.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by NRTBound2015
My speculation:

- Amex obviously goofed wrt letting so many people get in on the 100k offer. Ideally, they would like to would like to deny the bonus to a lot of the people who applied (figuring that most are just churners/bonus hunters/ low value customers), but can't think of a credible way to do a universal clawback.

- So, in lieu of a clawback, they decide to freeze the accounts (much easier to block the transfer than to try to get them back from SQ after the suite has been booked ) while doing a manual review of each new account searching for tnc violations that could justify withholding the points. I'd imagine they are digging through full sales data for MS and other transactions that their routine processes might miss.

- If the transactions pass muster, customer probably keeps the bonus. Conveniently, if they find grounds for a clawback, the results of the manual review will not be communicated until after the initial bonus spending period is over, so customer doesn't have a chance to go make more organic spending.

Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me, but would not be surprised...

Also, would be very surprised if Amex ever makes any broad public statements about this. I imagine they want to handle quietly and in a way that allows them to massage the situation on a customer by customer basis.
Sounds plausible and even likely. Still slimy though. I'm still mad about the fact that they freezed ALL points, not just the 100k. That caused me to have to spend $1000 on buying points because I couldn't transfer my previously earned MR. Whatever compunction I had about cheating Amex is gone now because of that, and I will not hesitate to play dirty with them in the future.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
It appears they are using this offer as a pilot program to test a range of policy implementations. The freeze on new account bonus points has already spread to other offers.
Do you mean the just the MB plat or other cards/families? Because I'm not going to be happy if any new MR card means a freeze...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NRTBound2015
- So, in lieu of a clawback, they decide to freeze the accounts (much easier to block the transfer than to try to get them back from SQ after the suite has been booked ) while doing a manual review of each new account searching for tnc violations that could justify withholding the points. I'd imagine they are digging through full sales data for MS and other transactions that their routine processes might miss.

- If the transactions pass muster, customer probably keeps the bonus. Conveniently, if they find grounds for a clawback, the results of the manual review will not be communicated until after the initial bonus spending period is over, so customer doesn't have a chance to go make more organic spending.

Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me, but would not be surprised...
Well the thing is that I'd imagine most of the people who jumped on the 100k offer weren't going to be profitable customers anyway and would cancel after yr 1, and the data points on reddit suggest those that met the 3k with natural spend are OK *so far*.

So basically....don't MS on public offers that are too ridiculously good to be true.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:32 pm

Amex claw back PLAT 100k MR

08/19/2016 Adjusted Point Adjustment -100,000

All right, will never use untargeted link to apply Amex card
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:43 pm

What !!#
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Did you MS to meet the minimum spend? MS at Simon Malls and huge purchases at grocery stores seems to be a common trait.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:19 pm

haha, AMEX at it best
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by forever1001
08/19/2016 Adjusted Point Adjustment -100,000

All right, will never use untargeted link to apply Amex card
Better idea: Continue to use untargeted links if the offer is good but meet all T&C, including no MS.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: Many
They removed the 100K from my MR account two days ago. I noticed it yesterday and initiated a chat with a rep. He said it was because of returns, but that was false. I spent the $3,000 on Delta tickets for myself and friends and we flew the flights. This was natural spend that I was going to making anyway on some card, and chose this one (passing up using a much more lucrative one for air tickets) to meet the terms of the enrollment bonus. He then acknowledged it wasn't because of returns, and observed that upon checking he saw that others had the same problem. He said he referred it for investigation and I should know the results within 6-8 weeks, but probably sooner.

As a data point, I had an open Ameriprise Platinum card at the time I applied for this one in May. But the Ameriprise version has no enrollment bonus, so I had never received an enrollment bonus on the AMEX Platinum previously. I subsequently canceled the Ameriprise card when its fee became due.

I think it would have been fair for AMEX not to have approved me for the new card due to the open account if that's their policy, or any consideration about the amount of credit they were extending me, but to come back three months later and pull the points after I've met the terms isn't right. I'm waiting to see how this works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.