Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:50 pm

Mine were released.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
My account was frozen as of June 20 this year. Of course, I made an inquiry and was told I would be contacted within a week. I ended up using my 125K points on a statement credit and then refunded the AF by cancelling the Plat shortly after getting a call on 6/30 from an Amex rep who seriously quoted me a resolution timeframe of "sometime in August."

I also coincidentally earned another 25K points on a targeted PRG offer (no AF first year) that came in the mail shortly after I got the Plat card.

All in all, between the Plat and PRG, I got $300 in airfare credit, ~$750 in statement credits and $100 off Global Entry for a family member. Not bad, even if I could have used another 100K SQ or DL miles.

Originally Posted by seen_chong
Amex could have easily been straightforward in their approach to this issue by letting members know their MR accounts were frozen and the specific timeline of when it would be unfrozen.

Instead, they chose to play this game where they award points and make them available, giving the impression they could be used, only for users to find out their requests have failed once they've made travel plans.

It's just a backhanded way of dealing with an issue head on and I'm sure their own CSRs would have appreciated this as well, instead of having their lines boggled down by frustrated members who can't get a straight answer as to what exactly is going on. Would have saved them many CFPB complaints as well.

They're only making a bad situation (unintended leak of 100k offer) worse and frustrating everyone, including their own employees, in the process.
This quote sums up my feelings about why I cancelled my Plat, am keeping my Citi Prestige and hopefully can get on the CSPR bandwagon soon. They made the mistake of offering 100K, they approved my application, and I paid everything off on time. Being given a vague 6-8 week runaround left a bad taste in my mouth and I was all too happy to be unprofitable to Amex this time.

I kept the PRG because the first year is free; but I'm going to cancel it in January after getting another DL credit.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:22 pm

I opened the Plat card in May and just got approved for the MB and completed the spending. I moved my Plat points to Delta and then called to cancel that card a few days later. Now my MB points posted, but according to AMEX they are on hold for review until Sept. Since the annual fees will no longer be prorated after Sept, I was thinking of converting the card to the Green card. Is that a good option? I tried to apply for the everyday card but I have too many cards now, I guess.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Travelz
...I was thinking of converting the card to the Green card. Is that a good option?
Have you asked if they will make this product change? I don't know if co-branded Platinum cards can be changed to anything else.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mia
Have you asked if they will make this product change? I don't know if co-branded Platinum cards can be changed to anything else.
I was offered to convert my Ameriprise Plat to a Green card when I called to cancel it to get in on this offer. I ended up not doing it because I would never use the card and didn't want to deal with the AF.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by chrisremo
I was offered to convert my Ameriprise Plat to a Green card when I called to cancel it to get in on this offer. I ended up not doing it because I would never use the card and didn't want to deal with the AF.
Not to mention that would disqualify you for the occasional 25k SUB for Green.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
Not to mention that would disqualify you for the occasional 25k SUB for Green.
Well, I will see if my 80,000 are unlocked every couple days. They did mention I could convert to the Green card. Maybe it is worth keeping the Benz for the year and try out the lounges.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:31 am

So annoyed that I didn't know about this until now. Tried to transfer some points out yesterday only to learn that they were frozen pending review. Nothing strange whatsoever with spending - no MS, etc. In a bit of a pickle because I was actually planning on using these for an Aeroplan redemption in a couple of weeks. Now I'm scrambling to figure out a way to get home.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:39 am
mia

Originally Posted by Travelz
Maybe it is worth keeping the Benz for the year and try out the lounges.
I think it is:

$475 Annual fee
-200 Airline fee reimbursement 2016
-200 Airline fee reimbursement 2017
$ 75 Net cost before any other benefits.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Enough
My partner got this got, made the minimum spend, redeemed most points before freeze, and then cancelled and got refund of annual fee. AMEX has now deducted 100,000 MR points, putting the account at a -90,000 balance.

Regardless of your personal ethics on the matter, there's nothing in the T&C that would allow the deduction.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:15 am

My points were released today. I've been checking daily for a while. They were awarded on 5/16. I called in last month to inquire when they were frozen and was told by August 1 they would be available. I haven't called or done anything else. I just checked daily. I sent 500 points to Plenti. just to test.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:21 am

deleted

Last edited by 36902BRF; Aug 18, 2016 at 11:39 am
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:24 am

What's the best way to liquidate the points outside of transferring? Statement credit? I've seen six datapoints of clawbacks (not just people who cancelled for AF refund) now. I would get rid of the points at 1 cpp.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by jb0506
... I sent 500 points to Plenti. just to test.
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
... appears to have been frozen after the first transfer.
-OR- these small tests aren't using the portion of the account that is frozen. Let's suppose that American Express has modified their software so that they can hold the new account bonus points (100,000) while allowing the base points, and points earned with other cards, to be redeemed. If you had, say, 103,000 points in your account a 1,000 point test redemption would not reveal that the 100,000 bonus points are still frozen.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:33 am

Deleted.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Aug 18, 2016 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.