Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
Although you applied via that link, you have a mutually beneficial relationship with Amex. I think you're safe.
Who knows? Speculation based on common sense does not even work any more in this fiasco.

As you could see upthread, my friend also has a "mutually beneficial relationship with Amex" in that he had $8K organic spend, and he also has SPG cards where he put good amount of spend too, plus business gold eventually upgraded to business plat - he suffered a crawl back that has not resolved yet.

Oh. friend also dug up an invitation AMEX sent to him just a week before the 100K link came up, for a 50K/$5K spend plat, despite AMEX has records showing he had an Ameriprise card before. Yet AMEX still invited him for another Plat with bonus. Just that AMEX does not want to give him bonus from the leaked link.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Enough
AMEX responded to second CFPB complaint, re-affirming their position that my partner is ineligible for the bonus (which was clawed back) because he holds an Ameriprise Platinum. We have sent a claim to AMEX for mediation.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Who knows? Speculation based on common sense does not even work any more in this fiasco.

As you could see upthread, my friend also has a "mutually beneficial relationship with Amex" in that he had $8K organic spend, and he also has SPG cards where he put good amount of spend too, plus business gold eventually upgraded to business plat - he suffered a crawl back that has not resolved yet.
But your friend had multiple platinum cards.

Oh. friend also dug up an invitation AMEX sent to him just a week before the 100K link came up, for a 50K/$5K spend plat, despite AMEX has records showing he had an Ameriprise card before. Yet AMEX still invited him for another Plat with bonus. Just that AMEX does not want to give him bonus from the leaked link.
Yes odd but it's the marketing dept.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But your friend had multiple platinum cards.
Did you not notice that there are people who have never had any MR earning cards in the past, let alone a Plat card, with organic spend, and still suffer a point crawl back? One guy was even given the reason of credits which were all his payments as he said he had not a single return, nor any AMEX statement credits.

As I said, no common sense would work here as to the basis on what might cause a frozen account / crawl back the bonus. The crystal ball at AMEX itself is as foggy as anyone from outside looking in.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:29 pm

Did you not notice that there are people who have never had any MR earning cards in the past, let alone a Plat card, with organic spend, and still suffer a point crawl back?
I did.

I previously stated "Folks with frozen accts and MR clawbacks applied via the questionable link. These folks also have no past relationship or "abusive" relationships with Amex." Emphasis added.

As I said, no common sense would work here as to the basis on what might cause a frozen account / crawl back the bonus. The crystal ball at AMEX itself is as foggy as anyone from outside looking in.
I don't think it's foggy at all. The basis is: those who applied via the questionable link AND have no past relationship and/or an abusive relationship. Are there DPs that are contrary to that?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:30 pm

I did.

I previously stated "Folks with frozen accts and MR clawbacks applied via the questionable link. These folks also have no past relationship or "abusive" relationships with Amex." Emphasis added.

I don't think it's foggy at all. The basis is: those who applied via the questionable link AND have no past relationship and/or an abusive relationship. Are there DPs that are contrary to that?
Actually, you are wrong.

One of my friends applied this card by the questionable link and got the 100,000 MR points clawback last Friday. But he has several Amex cards, including gold, old blue, Delta etc for six years. Maybe six year is not long enough for you guys, but I don't think the relationship is the key factor. Amex is just clawing these points back to offset their loss caused by the quesionable link.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
[blows dust off FT link in favorites]

This is a success story with regards to the 100k plat offer so reading this and how I think we did it may help you...
Hi MM,

Can't believe I read all through your longgg message, I have the issue that my 100k got revoke, just have 1 question here: does your wife card has any return or amex offer that got credit back? Thinking her 100k not revoke whether or not related to no return/amex offer credit back.

Thanks,
Andy
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:59 pm

Does anyone know if the clawback is over? I still have the 100000 MR in my new account ..never had a platinum before....By this time, I am hoping the claws have been filed clean making clawbacks impossible ..LOL
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by forever1001
Actually, you are wrong.

One of my friends applied this card by the questionable link and got the 100,000 MR points clawback last Friday. But he has several Amex cards, including gold, old blue, Delta etc for six years. Maybe six year is not long enough for you guys, but I don't think the relationship is the key factor. Amex is just clawing these points back to offset their loss caused by the quesionable link.
Does your friend MS, previously held the Plat, cancel acct(s) shortly after opening/bonus award?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Does anyone know if the clawback is over? I still have the 100000 MR in my new account ..never had a platinum before....By this time, I am hoping the claws have been filed clean making clawbacks impossible ..LOL
Did you have any return or use amex offer that get credit back during first 3 month?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
The Mrs got hers taken Friday. Mine disappeared late this afternoon. I have several AMEX products and have for over 10yrs. The reason the rep gave was 'returns during the promo period'. I had none. He opened a case. We will see.

Bottom line: you are not out of the woods - yet.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did.

1) I dont see without previous AMEX relationship has anything to do with that.

2) The posters who do not have prior MR earning cards do NOT mean they dont have AMEX relationship because AMEX has many cards and only the Charge Cards earn MR while other cards earn different currencies, from cash to miles and points. As long as you have ANY AMEX product, even the HY Saving Account, then you HAVE an AMEX relationship even you do not have any MR earning card previously.

Once again, not having a prior "relationship" does not preclude one to earn bonus - everything has a first time, dont you agree?

Therefore your crystal ball is foggier than most others because you may not even understand how an AMEX relationship might consist.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by forever1001
Actually, you are wrong.

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
The Mrs got hers taken Friday. Mine disappeared late this afternoon. I have several AMEX products and have for over 10yrs. The reason the rep gave was 'returns during the promo period'. I had none. He opened a case. We will see.

Guess you guys AMEX relationship does not qualified per the crystal ball.

Since you all have EXISTING AMEX relationship, the crystal ball says You guys are Abusers. Just for the silly laugh.

The most common theme so far, are the crawl back being triggered by "returns" but the "returns" in all cases reported so far, have nothing to do with the threshold crossing spend, or the credits are AMEX offer statement credit, or they are the GE credit. Heck, even one guy earlier said his payments were treated as credits!

Virtually those who have crawl backs and accounts noted due to returns, all have cases opened for "investigation".
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:53 pm

1) I dont see without previous AMEX relationship has anything to do with that.
A first acct with Amex via a questionable link is a red flag.

2) The posters who do not have prior MR earning cards do NOT mean they dont have AMEX relationship because AMEX has many cards and only the Charge Cards earn MR while other cards earn different currencies, from cash to miles and points. As long as you have ANY AMEX product, even the HY Saving Account, then you HAVE an AMEX relationship even you do not have any MR earning card previously.
Don't disagree with you...I didn't say the posters did NOT have other Amex accounts. There are many types of accts/relationships. Having a relationship is a good thing.

Once again, not having a prior "relationship" does not preclude one to earn bonus - everything has a first time, dont you agree?
Concur, everything has a first time and not having a prior relationship does not preclude one to a earn bonus. However, as stated above, first acct with Amex via a questionable link is a red flag.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Surface Interval

I'm guessing based on your posting history in the MS forum, you MS on these cards. Correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.