Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
As per terms 6-8 weeks are to post the points after meeting minimum spend. If points already posted why do we need to wait?
I think they have the right in the terms to hold them hostage until 8 weeks and then they have to release them. That is just my thinking.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:41 pm

This whole saga almost makes you wonder if Amex intentionally put the 100k link out there as a Trojan horse to identify all the churners and put them in a -100k hole.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
They should still have to pay out because it was their error not ours.

File with CPFB and mention the link as their error. And good luck!
+1000. Same thing goes for the Seacoast debacle. I did file over that and still waiting for a definitive response. Is there a thousand-post thread for that scam? LOL
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by coffee18
This whole saga almost makes you wonder if Amex intentionally put the 100k link out there as a Trojan horse to identify all the churners and put them in a -100k hole.
Yah i wondered that too
Like that cable sting from the late 80s lol
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by coffee18
Never attribute to strategy what can be explained by incompetence.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:58 pm

Wondering if I should try to transfer out all of my and dh's points before they get to us. I was able to send 1k out of each account to Hilton in the beginning, don't know about now. We have a bit over 600k (~300k each) and both received the 100k bonus more than two months ago. No returns but most of the spend was ms. Never had platinums before and have only "churned" a business gold once with dh's ssn (they sent an invitation for the card right after he cancelled the first).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Hahaha so true
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
^^
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Macosty
I think they have the right in the terms to hold them hostage until 8 weeks and then they have to release them. That is just my thinking.
They don't have the right to hold your other points hostage, however, for that 8 week period.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Many
I reported earlier (#720) about my problem with the 100,000 point "adjustment." I called AMEX again just now, and the CSR put me on hold and contacted Membership Rewards. She reported back to me that a) I did nothing wrong; b) they are aware of the problem; and c) she expects the 100,000 points to be back in my account within 72 hours (actually she said $100,000, which would be nice, but I corrected her). I had her put notes in my record that she had told me those things.

I don't know whether to think this latest person is incorrect; or maybe they're backing off from the clawbacks in the face of the pushback they're getting; or maybe it really was a technical glitch. I'll be watching my account closely the next three days.

It was interesting to me that she specifically stated I did nothing wrong, since some have commented about the "questionable" link and the Amerprise card, both of which were part of my situation.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:34 pm

I did not MS at all on the card, and met the $3k spend even if I exclude the MPX credits. Received the bonus on July 13. My points are all frozen but nothing removed yet. I haven't called in because I'm wondering if it's a better idea not to poke the bear and hope I fly under the radar.

But I honestly have no idea what reason they could give me for taking the 100k away. They can claim "returns" but even if they discount the MPX credits I still spent almost $3500. No MS, no transactions that look remotely questionable or MS-like. I have had no other Platinum product in the past, so they can't use that reasoning either.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:55 pm

Well, since I did returns - I guess my husband's points are on the chopping block. Just put in a transfer request for some of the points.

What is best strategy now - transfer all of them out? To where? BA at least has a bonus right now - but we already have 180K BA.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:15 pm

Touche
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:00 pm

I got cfpb response from Amex. Any suggestion?

Your Membership Rewards account was reviewed to make sure the total of all eligible purchases met the spend requirement during the promotional period. Unfortunately, our records indicate you did not meet the spend requirement to receive the promotional offer on your Platinum Card. Therefore, the points which were added to the account on June 22, 2016, were removed from your account on August 19, 2016. This is in accordance with the terms and conditions that were presented to you during your application. Your previously earned Membership Rewards points are available for immediate use.

It did not mention the "return".
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by forever1001
According to these DPs, I definitely believe Amex is clawing back all the welcome bonus from this questional link.
As of right now (Aug 23rd), my 100k haven't been clawed back even though:

- I used the questionable link
- I used to have an ameriprise 2-3 years ago
- I have already cancelled this plat to get my fee reimbursed after getting points and $200 credits
- I had several returns during the 3 months on my spend (cancelling hotels and such), although the critical threshold spend wasn't returned.
- After subtracting the returns, credits, fees, my (all organic) spend was just $3004, so barely over the threshold as per their terms.
- I've had many many many amex personal/business cards in the past 3-5 years, basically scraping bottom of the barrel in terms of their lifetime bonuses now (MBPlat and Schwab left?)

I haven't tried transfers since I don't need to yet, so I have no idea if I'm frozen or not, nor do I want to know. But anyways, no clawback so far touchwood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.