Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:58 am

If a big part of your minimum spend was MS, I would expect your MRs to be taken back and you would have little to argue on getting them back as the T&Cs specifically disallow those purchases to meet the minimum spend. There's a lot of different facts flying around with returns, delays, etc. But someone who did not have $3,000 of organic spend for items that were not returned doesn't have a leg to stand on, and I see no basis on which they would survive a challenge.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wlp07
... not unthinkable that they'll shut down the airline fee credit/gc situation come 2017....
Improbable, because Citi and Chase have cloned this benefit with higher amounts and more liberal requirements. I think both of them will follow if American Express ends this gimmick, but I don't think American Express will do that until the Centurion lounge network is built out.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
If a big part of your minimum spend was MS, I would expect your MRs to be taken back and you would have little to argue on getting them back as the T&Cs specifically disallow those purchases to meet the minimum spend. There's a lot of different facts flying around with returns, delays, etc. But someone who did not have $3,000 of organic spend for items that were not returned doesn't have a leg to stand on, and I see no basis on which they would survive a challenge.
Thanks for your reply. I agree completely. It doesn't appear that "flying under the radar" is an option with this deal. Oh well. Lesson learned.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:13 pm

Based on the dp's, I'm heavily leaning toward cutting my losses and cancelling for the prorated AF refund pre 9/1. I met the requirement using almost exclusively ms (serve). So yeah...not looking good. My bonus would post, if at all, in late September. The card bennies are nice, but its not unthinkable that they'll shut down the airline fee credit/gc situation come 2017. I travel for leisure, so lounge access is not a must-have.

Anyone see any reason for me to hang in?
Perhaps hanging on to the card (and legitimate use of the card) allows future opportunities with Amex. Time will only tell if closing your acct will negatively impact your (future) relationship with Amex.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by mia
Improbable, because Citi and Chase have cloned this benefit with higher amounts and more liberal requirements. I think both of them will follow if American Express ends this gimmick, but I don't think American Express will do that until the Centurion lounge network is built out.
Good point. That competitive pressure can't hurt.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:26 pm

I think someone who MS'd has a leg to stand on, albeit not a strong one. At the very least, they should identify the suspect purchases. Serve loads are self-explanatory. But other purchases are less so.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:43 pm

200 airline fee credit

Hi, so is there a consensus as to whether the 200 fee credit would reduce the total spend or not? I did all my spending organically but if I subtract the 200 credit I am a little below $3000. That said I did check with amex online reps periodically about how much spending I have met, and every time (including this last one) they gave me a number that was not offset by the credit. I saved the chat screenshot. Also T&C did not mention anywhere that such credits would work against the spend.

My points posted about a month ago and they are still in my account. Am I safe? Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wwhh85
Hi, so is there a consensus as to whether the 200 fee credit would reduce the total spend or not? I did all my spending organically but if I subtract the 200 credit I am a little below $3000. That said I did check with amex online reps periodically about how much spending I have met, and every time (including this last one) they gave me a number that was not offset by the credit. I saved the chat screenshot. Also T&C did not mention anywhere that such credits would work against the spend.

My points posted about a month ago and they are still in my account. Am I safe? Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.
My experience is that you don't have to compensate for the 200. The 200 is still charges to the card, and that's what the bonus is tracking--not your net dollar outlay.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:13 pm

Received a cfpb response nearly identical to MM.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Based on the dp's, I'm heavily leaning toward cutting my losses and cancelling for the prorated AF refund pre 9/1. I met the requirement using almost exclusively ms (serve). So yeah...not looking good. My bonus would post, if at all, in late September. The card bennies are nice, but its not unthinkable that they'll shut down the airline fee credit/gc situation come 2017. I travel for leisure, so lounge access is not a must-have.

Anyone see any reason for me to hang in?
yes because you aint wrong. push!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by chrisremo
My experience is that you don't have to compensate for the 200. The 200 is still charges to the card, and that's what the bonus is tracking--not your net dollar outlay.
Thank you! Really hope so. Otherwise I will consider canceling the card by 9/1 too...
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be tough to argue one's case if the spend is all MS.

Originally Posted by missing_link
I think someone who MS'd has a leg to stand on, albeit not a strong one. At the very least, they should identify the suspect purchases. Serve loads are self-explanatory. But other purchases are less so.
You obviously have not read the lengthy FR thread. AMEX has the ability to see what you purchased in great details. If they choose to enforce the language in T&Cs, they sure can point out the nature of each and every single purchase if it is challenged in court, despite it would cost AMEX some money because that takes up manpower.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 25, 2016 at 3:15 pm
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:11 pm

I think, given the proximity of 9/1, the only option at this point is to email executives similar to MM. Mailing a letter will hardy leave time for a response.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sora_g
When I started reading this thread again a few days ago, it was my first time even hearing about CFPB lol. But the process is quite simple. Just go to http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/ , and follow the prompts to fill out a complaint under the credit card option.

Be mindful of the world limit though. I drafted a thesis in advance but the actual CFPB word-box couldn't take even half of that. So I had to edit the crap out of it.
You can send attachment with the detailed information on the attachment.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It would be tough to argue one's case if the spend is all MS.

You obviously have not read the lengthy FR thread. AMEX has the ability to see what you purchased in great details. If they choose to enforce the language in T&Cs, they sure can point out the nature of each and every single purchase if it is challenged in court, despite it would cost AMEX some money because that takes up manpower.
I'm not questioning their ability to look into purchases and figure out what was purchased.

I'm saying that at a bare minimum that they are obliged to do so if they want to enforce that part of the terms of conditions (which I admit they are entitled to do). Based on what we've seen, I don't think they've done that. In other words, they need to devote more manpower rather than whatever roughshod method they used to weed people out here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.