Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
It's 8 weeks after my husband's points first posted, and they're still frozen. We just had a lengthy conversation with an MR rep, and he informed us that it will be 6-8 weeks from when the account was flagged for review, which was conveniently 3 weeks later than when the points posted, and will put us past the September 1 date when AF's stop being partially refunded.

All they will say is that they're reviewing his account to determine if the purchases qualified. They were all organic spend. This is getting absolutely ridiculous.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plainheart
Could you simply post all the transactions with dates for us to analyze?
Seriously?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by LizGross144
It's 8 weeks after my husband's points first posted, and they're still frozen. We just had a lengthy conversation with an MR rep, and he informed us that it will be 6-8 weeks from when the account was flagged for review, which was conveniently 3 weeks later than when the points posted, and will put us past the September 1 date when AF's stop being partially refunded.

All they will say is that they're reviewing his account to determine if the purchases qualified. They were all organic spend. This is getting absolutely ridiculous.
Further proof it had nothing to do w what people did for spend.

Read my long post above and start firing off emails and letters for starters.

A friend had emailed me this morning:

I was just going to transfer them to Avios and see they are pulled 2 days ago. I still have the 3211 or whatever but the 100k is gone. MR is closed on weekend and Amex says they know nothing but the supervisor said they have them.

Super said to call Acquisition Incentive Control Rule and I have to call MR Tomorrow.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Originally Posted by Marathon Man

Read my long post above and start firing off emails and letters for starters.
I read your post, but I know that no one in Amex is going to read a letter that long. Also, you turned your points into gift cards. I'm not interested in doing that - we went for this bonus specifically so we could transfer the miles to book premium cabin flights for a trip next summer. I'm confident this will all be possible come September, when they're not worried about refunding prorated annual fees.

Since getting these cards, we ended up using lots of the lounge access benefits of the card (SkyClub in USA, Priority Pass abroad), and really like it. We'd strongly consider keeping it, potentially paying the annual fee on both of our accounts because of the benefits given to the primary card holder.

But all of this MR stuff has left a pretty terrible taste in our mouths.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by safigan
By the way, your points almost certainly were not frozen that "exact day." It's just that you weren't aware that your points were frozen until you tried to use them.
actually it was, could be a coincidence but they told me the hold was placed 8/14, that was the day I tried to transfer, I waited a week and then tried again today. Today I started calling to investigate.

Thanks to those linking the previous thread, that is frustrating.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LizGross144
I read your post, but I know that no one in Amex is going to read a letter that long. Also, you turned your points into gift cards. I'm not interested in doing that - we went for this bonus specifically so we could transfer the miles to book premium cabin flights for a trip next summer. I'm confident this will all be possible come September, when they're not worried about refunding prorated annual fees.

Since getting these cards, we ended up using lots of the lounge access benefits of the card (SkyClub in USA, Priority Pass abroad), and really like it. We'd strongly consider keeping it, potentially paying the annual fee on both of our accounts because of the benefits given to the primary card holder.

But all of this MR stuff has left a pretty terrible taste in our mouths.
I forgot to mention another reason I stopped posting here is cuz someone always feels the urge to comment on length of posts as being a reason for something lol

All I can say is that we waited and we worried and we thought they took our points and it could be months of more of the same frustrations to get anywhere. I think the letter--I believe you are referring to my wifes final letter sent by mail and email to exec on aug 13, which really wasnt long at all, is possibly why our points were suddenly and quietly unlocked.

Are yours?

I hope they are soon but what I am saying is that you and all others need to write them detailed and yes, lengthy complaints (I have found in my 14 years on ft and 30 years dealing with mostly successfully self advocacy and the same for friends and family that the company reading a complaint "owns" it eventually and thus has to read and deal with each point made therein, so length helps).

We did not originally want to get gcs from home depot. But when our planned redemption for virgin america miles failed (this would have triggered the jet blue promo from july that as a result only I got to do but my wife now could not) we had to rally and dump the currency.

Mr have become worthless for us to rely on and want to get again after this. Amex has done stuff to fters before like the blue cash thing a couple years ago where the only way to get your points and money back was to fight harder than this problem.

We know of far better uses of points than to rely on mr to redeem for flights. We only wanted to redeem my wifes for virgin due to a great promo. Otherwise she would have earned them and sat on them but because of this crap we are all witnessing, who here really trusts leaving the currency in their accts? Thats why we dumped them to gc!

Her last letter was sent after the first complaint to cfpb and its amex reply.

I advise you to take my advice and detail your plight to similar execs and agencies mentioned in my post if you ever want to get those points and then yes, burn them fast on something--anything--before some dummy at amex claws em back on you.

They are shamming us in my opinion. Save yourselves.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:30 pm

It has to do with the application link.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
It has to do with the application link.
Agree, especially in light of the crawl backs that are all over the place, including those who did not MS, who did not have any MR card in the past.

Also it seems only transfer to partners is blocked. People were able to redeem against statement credit when not able to transfer to partners. I dont understand that tactics of blocking transfer but not blocking redemption of other stuff.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:55 pm

A friend had emailed me this morning:

I was just going to transfer them to Avios and see they are pulled 2 days ago. I still have the 3211 or whatever but the 100k is gone. MR is closed on weekend and Amex says they know nothing but the supervisor said they have them.

Super said to call Acquisition Incentive Control Rule and I have to call MR Tomorrow.
The limited google results for the phrase "Acquisition Incentive Control Rules" seem to suggest it has to do with the lifetime bonus limitation. Has you friend ever had a different Platinum, such as the Ameriprise, Mercedes Benz, or Schwab?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aradisc
The limited google results for the phrase "Acquisition Incentive Control Rules" seem to suggest it has to do with the lifetime bonus limitation. Has you friend ever had a different Platinum, such as the Ameriprise, Mercedes Benz, or Schwab?
Ill ask my friend that. My wife had the biz plat before but never this one. But the reply from amex after she complained to the cfpb was that the problem was her spend, which we all know is a lie.

They hosed their own application link and then wanted to pull back from the offer on cards they themselves approved and awarded the 100k to.

Thats so bogus and wrong its not even funny.

I think everyone here has to call them out so they secretly and quietly reinstate your points. Just waiting for it and trusting that they will aint enough
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Disgraceful!

This whole thing is freaking ridiculous. I liquidated my MR last week just to be safe. Of course, they can still clawback the points and put me 100k negative.

This is childish and petty. They are acting like thugs, not a reputable bank. They will have to pry that $1000 out of my cold dead hands.

My opinion of Amex is unprintable on FT
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My opinion of them is shot. Many feel their only remainjng benefit is with spg cards. So many feel the need to use and abuse them to get as many points now as possible and then who cares. Besides, once spg turns i to marriott itll go down the tubes anyway. Even if it retains amex and some of its likeness, the good times have come and gone. This, plus the fact that many of my fam and friends have attained all the one time amex boni anyway have rendered the company powerless to me because they have or soon will have nothing I want
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aradisc
Friend just wrote back saying he has never had any of the mr products before.

Further proof that amex is just throwing out reasons and we need to call em out on it
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:23 pm

How does one know if the MR is frozen or not? My MR balance prior to the bonus was about 120k. Since receiving the 100k bonus, I had transferred my MR to Delta twice, 60k and 20k within the past few months. I have also used MR to book one Delta flight (treating MR like cash) which cost me about 10k.

My last redemption was about 2 weeks ago without any problem (which was the transfer to Delta Skymiles). I don't do MS and I spend more than 200 grand in all of my Amex cards within the past 12 months.

Last edited by pinkblanket; Aug 21, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by pinkblanket
How does one know if the MR is frozen or not? My MR balance prior to the bonus was about 120k. Since receiving the 100k bonus, I had transferred my MR to Delta twice, 60k and 20k within the past few months. I have also used MR to book one Delta flight (treating MR like cash) which cost me about 10k.

My last redemption was about 2 weeks ago without any problem (which was the transfer to Delta Skymiles). I don't do MS and I spend more than 200 grand in all of my Amex cards within the past 12 months.
Doesn't sound like your acct is frozen as you have been able to transfer out. Did you apply via the questionable link back in May? Folks with frozen accts and MR clawbacks applied via the questionable link. These folks also have no past relationship or "abusive" relationships with Amex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.