FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

gooselee Jul 31, 2019 8:34 am

I'm genuinely curious - what is the goal of doing this GC+AddCollect booking then refund? Even if Amex doesn't claw back the credit, you're still left with a DL GC, no?

I get that with the old GC route it was a workaround for people to apply the Amex credit toward airfare, the argument being that people who travel a ton often have status and other benefits resulting in very few incidental fees. However in this case you're not even taking the flight.

Are there really that many people who hold an Amex Plat AND are electing DL as their airline fee choice AND are taking the step to buy a DL GC, but have no intent to actually book any DL tickets over the course of a year?

BNAChairman Jul 31, 2019 10:19 am

7/28 Booked refundable one way ticket from A to B with Amex Plat for $281
7/28 Changed ticket to C to D with a nonrefundable fare of $528. Paid fare difference with Hilton Aspire
7/30 Received credit for $247 on the Aspire card

40orFight Jul 31, 2019 10:42 am

Here is where I think we stand with upgrades:

Main Cabin to Comfort+ might work (some say it should, despite being different classes - but we have no actual DPs on here that I found).

Upgrading to First Class and paying the full fee with an Amex did not work. There is an open question as to whether splitting this upgrade fee with a gift card will allow the residual amount to be reimbursed (presumably on the same "additional collection" theory as with tickets).

Finally, does anyone know whether purchasing a Comfort+ or First Class ticket from the start (without later upgrading) via the gift card split and "additional collection" residual method will be reimbursed similar to an ordinary economy ticket? I would assume so (as long as still <~$250 residual), but I don't see any actual DPs on this.

Thanks to everyone for your various DPs on all of this - and everything else recently.

40orFight Jul 31, 2019 10:46 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31341085)
Normally DL vouchers (and IIRC gift cards) are nontransferable but they can be applied equally to other passengers on the same PNR. The agent could have split your $150 evenly over the two tickets and you would have received a bigger credit. However, you would have needed to call DL to book the tickets to do this.

Just curious, have you actually done this - or is it still just a theory at this point? Did the phone agent wonder why you cared how the gift card was applied as between the two tickets? Not sure I'd want to explain that one.

I ask because I'm in a situation where I may need to purchase two seats together, and I would want both to qualify for the credit. One is for a child, and I believe there will be "child traveling alone" issues and fees if I try to book a separate ticket for a child alone. I've had similar issues in the past, anyway - albeit a different airline.

SPLP007 Jul 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31362914)
i'm genuinely curious - what is the goal of doing this gc+addcollect booking then refund? Even if amex doesn't claw back the credit, you're still left with a dl gc, no?

I get that with the old gc route it was a workaround for people to apply the amex credit toward airfare, the argument being that people who travel a ton often have status and other benefits resulting in very few incidental fees. However in this case you're not even taking the flight.

Are there really that many people who hold an amex plat and are electing dl as their airline fee choice and are taking the step to buy a dl gc, but have no intent to actually book any dl tickets over the course of a year?

sell the gc

MaxVO Jul 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by BNAChairman (Post 31363385)
7/28 Booked refundable one way ticket from A to B with Amex Plat for $281
7/28 Changed ticket to C to D with a nonrefundable fare of $528. Paid fare difference with Hilton Aspire
7/30 Received credit for $247 on the Aspire card

Can such ticket change be done online, or require an agent?

gooselee Jul 31, 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 31364157)
sell the gc

I guess. Seems like an awful lot of work/hassle/potential risk just to monetize this benefit. At the end of the day all you're really doing is recouping part of a CC AF that you don't need to pay to begin with. This applies especially to DL since the SkyClub benefit is arguably one of the bigger value propositions of the card - but it's only usable if you actually fly DL.

BNAChairman Jul 31, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31364159)
Can such ticket change be done online, or require an agent?

All transactions completed online.

Rboed Jul 31, 2019 7:26 pm

7/27 Booked $576 ticket using $300 in GC and $276 on my amex platinum
7/28 Posted as 'Additional Charge'
7/31 - still no credit

MaxVO Jul 31, 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31364284)
I guess. Seems like an awful lot of work/hassle/potential risk just to monetize this benefit. At the end of the day all you're really doing is recouping part of a CC AF that you don't need to pay to begin with. This applies especially to DL since the SkyClub benefit is arguably one of the bigger value propositions of the card - but it's only usable if you actually fly DL.

Well, the title of this thread gives a pretty clear idea what subject is being discussed. Everyone sharing their experiences are fully aware how much effort they expended. If you're joining to argue that this discussion should stop, it's not going to happen. It's just one of those threads that's not applicable to your interests.

gooselee Jul 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31365471)
Well, the title of this thread gives a pretty clear idea what subject is being discussed. Everyone sharing their experiences are fully aware how much effort they expended. If you're joining to argue that this discussion should stop, it's not going to happen. It's just one of those threads that's not applicable to your interests.

Not the point at all and also not the sole purpose of this thread (as evidenced by the wiki), but ok.

rkb2530 Aug 1, 2019 7:31 am

Another DP - Consistent with what others have posted.

7/29 - Purchased $277 one way ticket with 2 $50 GCs on new AMEX Plat
7/30 - Charge Posted as DELTA AIR LINES and Additional Collection with ticket #
7/31 - Meter moved and credit of $177 posted

valerioa Aug 1, 2019 7:34 am

Good day,

First off, thanks to all for your data points & advice.

I was also successful in buying Delta award tickets and paying the taxes with my wife's new Amex Gold. Charged $46.90 & $68.03 on July 30th and reimbursed $100 (in 2 credits) on July 31st. I guess for now this is a simple way for me to use them. I have to buy 5 tickets soon and will use some GC that I've accumulated once I get the Hilton Aspire. See if that combination of GC plus payment will trigger the credits.

Cheers.

uppereastsider Aug 1, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Rboed (Post 31365337)
7/27 Booked $576 ticket using $300 in GC and $276 on my amex platinum
7/28 Posted as 'Additional Charge'
7/31 - still no credit

Thanks for your first post! Did you notice if the meter moved after the charge? You can find this on your benefits page where the airline fee is

ijgordon Aug 1, 2019 8:51 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 31364157)
sell the gc

People will pay full price for it? Why?