FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

mshock79 Jul 29, 2019 8:27 am

Does anyone know if Skyclub access is reimbursed with the airline credit? I have an Aspire so no free Skyclub access but I do have a Delta Platinum so I was wondering if i could show that to get the $29 discounted entry, put the charge on the Aspire and get reimbursed through the credit. Being able to do that along with the family three times a year would give the $250 credit a high value for me personally.

PancakeGames Jul 29, 2019 9:38 am

I purchased two one ways in separate transactions on 7/26 using one $50 DL GC each and paying $102 out of pocket each on Hilton Aspire ($250 airline fee credit).

Edit: credits posted on 7/30 for $102 each.

rog92 Jul 29, 2019 10:19 am

Does anyone know if buying DL EGC gets you 5X MR on platinum? I know the reimbursement is dead, but is EGC coded as airline purchase? Thanks!

gooselee Jul 29, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by mshock79 (Post 31354408)
Does anyone know if Skyclub access is reimbursed with the airline credit? I have an Aspire so no free Skyclub access but I do have a Delta Platinum so I was wondering if i could show that to get the $29 discounted entry, put the charge on the Aspire and get reimbursed through the credit. Being able to do that along with the family three times a year would give the $250 credit a high value for me personally.

IIRC SkyClub access is reimbursed; however you must actually pay with a DL Amex to get the $29 rate (or the unbranded Plat Amex if paying for a guest).

MSPeconomist Jul 29, 2019 11:00 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 31348690)
Has anyone tried upfaring, i.e. changing a coach ticket to a first ticket? I'm thinking, to keep the amounts smaller, buying a coach ticket with a $50 gift card and using an Amex Aspire card, and then upfaring with another $50 gift card and the credit card again.

I'd also wonder whether it works without the $50 gift card.

The rules say that upgrade fees aren't covered, although fees to reserve special seats (maybe C+ but DL now treats this as a separate class) should be. YMMV.

mshock79 Jul 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31355118)
IIRC SkyClub access is reimbursed; however you must actually pay with a DL Amex to get the $29 rate (or the unbranded Plat Amex if paying for a guest).

Thanks for clarifying...I guess that eliminates the Aspire from consideration since Sky Club no longer sells day passes unconditionally.

flower282 Jul 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by PancakeGames (Post 31354746)
I purchased two one ways in separate transactions on 7/26 using one $50 DL GC each and paying $102 out of pocket each on Hilton Aspire ($250 airline fee credit).

No credit yet and no meter move.

How does it show up on your statement? Does it say, "Delta Air Lines"? or something else?

beachfan Jul 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by marksyr (Post 31351699)
On 7/20 I upfared an award coach ticket to first. Paid the $74 charge with my Amex Platinum. No reimbursement.

Thanks. I'll try with a partial gift card payment.

PancakeGames Jul 30, 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by flower282 (Post 31356608)
How does it show up on your statement? Does it say, "Delta Air Lines"? or something else?

credits posted today and I updated my post...charges posted as Delta Air Lines - Atlanta

bklyndevil44 Jul 30, 2019 12:52 pm

Datapoint for Delta Flight $250+

Booked a flight for $250+ and applied an e credit tied to my account. DIfference was $220+. Will respond and let everyone know if I get reimbursed for Hilton AMEX Aspire credit.

bgriff Jul 30, 2019 2:11 pm

A data point: I've seen the credits automatically come through for award travel taxes, for amounts under $50 in particular. Though I haven't done this since Amex made changes to eliminate gift cards as an option, so don't know if these transactions would have been affected too. (Under the T&Cs, such fees are not officially reimbursable.)

The other downside to this is that Amex's travel protections such as checked bag insurance don't apply on award bookings, whereas Chase does provide such protections on awards, so I try to use my CSR for such fees. But for "simple" trips where I don't expect to need the benefits of such coverage, I still sometimes use the Amex.

slin24 Jul 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Datapoint: AMEX PLAT
7/23: Purchased $296 Refundable ticket using 2X$50 GC.
7/24: Posted $196 as ADDITIONAL COLLECTION with ticket number.
7/25: Airline Fee Reimbursement.

Now will try to cancel that ticket.

aimango Jul 30, 2019 9:52 pm

Also confirming that award booking fees will reimburse - we booked two tickets as separate transactions ($114.93 fee each) on 7/28 - 1 on Amex plat and 1 on Amex gold, and the meter went down. Haven't gotten the airline fee reimbursement yet but we are expecting to given the meter has gone down.

MNSWEEps Jul 31, 2019 12:34 am

Originally Posted by slin24 (Post 31360182)
Datapoint: AMEX PLAT
7/23: Purchased $296 Refundable ticket using 2X$50 GC.
7/24: Posted $196 as ADDITIONAL COLLECTION with ticket number.
7/25: Airline Fee Reimbursement.

Now will try to cancel that ticket.

can you confirm how everything went with cancellation? did the additional collection go back to credit card or can you request it to be added to the GC?

bgriff Jul 31, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps (Post 31361675)
can you confirm how everything went with cancellation? did the additional collection go back to credit card or can you request it to be added to the GC?

Based on my experience in other similar situations with Delta I expect the default will be a $50 gift card and the rest going back to the credit card. If you let some time pass before cancelling, I suspect Amex won't notice and won't claw back the credit, but it's always a risk. Not sure if Delta will issue the entire refund as a gift card, but you could almost certainly cancel the booking and keep the value as an unused ticket rather than requesting a refund, though an unused ticket has to be used within a year and isn't transferable while gift cards don't expire and are transferable.