FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1739932-airline-fee-250-200-100-reimbursement-reports-dl-only-2015-2019-a.html)

qjpqzb Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am

Originally Posted by fobster (Post 31308028)
Long time lurker here. Recently switched to DL. Switched my Plat to DL from AA in June on top of Hilton Aspire just in time for them to stop GC reimbursement. Below are my experience.

JUN17 $50 GC
JUN18 $50 Reimbursed
JUN21 $50 *2 GC. Still not reimbursed. (exact same coding as 17th GC)

JUL11 Purchased $351 ticket - $100 (GC) = $251.
JUL13 $200 Reimbursed.

I haven't cancelled my refundable ticket yet. I guess final step left. Thanks.

Is there any cancellation fee when you cancel the refundable ticket? Looking forward to your DP! Thanks.

danhouston Jul 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by qjpqzb (Post 31317019)
Is there any cancellation fee when you cancel the refundable ticket? Looking forward to your DP! Thanks.

refundable s/b $0 fee

gooselee Jul 18, 2019 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 31318813)
refundable s/b $0 fee

Depends on fare rules. There can be refundable fares that still carry a change/cancel fee.

All "refundable" means is that DL will credit back to your original FOP vs. issuing an eCredit.

CamaroZ28 Jul 19, 2019 8:34 am

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28 (Post 31313337)
Additional data points:

My card-
5/10/2019: Purchased 5x$50 GC on Aspire card
5/11/2019: Transactions posted as document type "passenger ticket"
5/14/2019: 5x$50 Credits post on Aspire card

Wife's card-
6/28/2019: Purchased 5x$50 GC on Aspire card
6/29/2019: Transactions posted as document type "passenger ticket"
No credits posted so far

Seems to me that the way the gift cards code on AMEX has not changed.
Successful Credit No Credit

Looks like I spoke too soon, the credits showed up later on the 17th for all 5 GCs. See this screenshot. It seems that these credits appear different than my past credit (see screenshot above from quoted post) in that it doesn't show the Delta information. Which seems, possibly, a result of the below information resulting in a manual credit.

I actually chatted with AMEX online on the 16th and simply asked why I didn't receive a credit for my Delta purchases. The agent simply asked for the date and amount of the charges, then asked if they were for "baggage fees or any other charges?" So I said "yes" as they were other charges lol. The rep said that they would issue the credit in 3-5 business days but it looks like it only took one and a half days.

Armani Jul 20, 2019 8:25 am

Dollars + Points Purchase

Has anyone tried making a dollars + points flight purchase recently? If so, did Amex apply the credit for the dollars portion? I am considering trying to combine gift cards with cash purchase, but Delta fares from CVG to my upcoming destinations have really increased vs last year.

jlagoon Jul 20, 2019 11:55 am

Originally Posted by brushrop03 (Post 31265466)
I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a $50 gc today with my Platinum card for the DP. Fingers crossed, but I still have the Aspire credits to fall back on.

Hi brushrop03; did your single purchase of the $50 gc work on your platinum card?

Happy Jul 20, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by qjpqzb (Post 31317004)
From my experience, although you have purchased a refundable ticket, they will still charge you around 200$ cancelation fee. Correct me if I am wrong, looking forward to you DP! Thanks.

Originally Posted by qjpqzb (Post 31317019)

Originally Posted by danhouston (Post 31318813)
refundable s/b $0 fee

The answer is NO. It can be refundable but still subj to change fee / cancellation fee - the details are in the FARE RULES fine print. All the word "refundable" means is, you would get back something after any applicable fee at cancellation, versus nonrefundable the ticket becomes 0 value at cancellation.

Long gone are the days a refundable means 100% refund. If you plan to go this route - BE SURE you UNDERSTAND the Fare Rules that you can pull up during the process of booking. It is usually a clickable words that brings up a pop up window of the long and hard to understand Fare Rules.

The quick and dirty way to identify if there is any fee is to quickly scan any $ amount shows up in the body of the Fare Rules, and if so, does that apply to your intended action.

Failing to check the fare rules and blindly assuming a fare marked as refundable would get you 100% refund back can get you a nasty rude awakening when you go to cancel it.

All Refundable means is, some or full fare of the ticket is refundable, even after the fee you ended up only a few bucks left or nothing left...

Only when there is 0 fee indicated by the Fare Rules that you will receive full refund, and the refund usually goes back to the OFP, unless in UA or AA's cases the agent can manually process it to the OFP you choose. No idea about DL.

I have done many refundable tickets with AA and UA to "rollover" the transportation vouchers which carry 12 months shelf life, and know the importance to read the Fare Rules. While I have not done DL's I feel certain it works the same way. The Fare Rules govern the fee, and how much you would get back when cancel the ticket, not the word "refundable".

Only WN and AS would give you 100% credit stored in your account when you cancel a ticket that meets the criteria primarily based on calendar and not fare rules. The 3 legacy airlines go by fare rules.

uppereastsider Jul 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Bought tickets for me and my girlfriend, applied a gift card to my ticket. Both tickets posted as separate charges, with my charge being labeled as "additional collection" and receiving the credit. The airline flight benefit graphic moved a day before the credit officially came in

lucjos0224 Jul 21, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Armani (Post 31323734)
Has anyone tried making a dollars + points flight purchase recently? If so, did Amex apply the credit for the dollars portion? I am considering trying to combine gift cards with cash purchase, but Delta fares from CVG to my upcoming destinations have really increased vs last year.

I have done this as recently as last year and the left over portion (mine was under $100/ticket) has always been covered by the credit.

MileageMaven Jul 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Gift Card use for Platinum Credit.

Any opinion on whether Gift Card purchases will still apply toward the annual airline credit?
They did last year, but I'm feeing 'YMMV' may from recent posts.
Thanks.

Global Adventurer Jul 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by MileageMaven (Post 31327512)
Any opinion on whether Gift Card purchases will still apply toward the annual airline credit?
Thanks.

Overall, it hasn't been working on gift cards lately.

Diplomatico Jul 21, 2019 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by MileageMaven (Post 31327512)
Thanks.

Stopped working, by most estimates, on or about 22 June 2019.

aasaeedi Jul 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 31327641)
Stopped working, by most estimates, on or about 22 June 2019.

Oh, that's a bummer :( I am new to the Platinum card, and this forum. The pinned post still says that the eGifts are credited if purchased through the desktop site. So I went ahead and bought one today :(

So what are the current options to use the Airline credit towards tickets?

idkmybffjill Jul 21, 2019 11:40 pm

I just got the AMEX business platinum.

What's the latest consensus here for the airline credit? You need to buy a partial gift card that makes the remainder of the flight ticket cost (which will be charged to the card) be less than $100? And it will trigger the flight credit? Is that for only Delta or both Delta & Southwest? I'm assuming nothing works for AA.

jlagoon Jul 22, 2019 12:35 am

Originally Posted by aasaeedi (Post 31328311)
Oh, that's a bummer :( I am new to the Platinum card, and this forum. The pinned post still says that the eGifts are credited if purchased through the desktop site. So I went ahead and bought one today :(

So what are the current options to use the Airline credit towards tickets?

Would you let us know, if you got a credit for it, please?