Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
Having read through pages of comments, I am surprised that the real reason for The overcrowding hasn’t been mentioned yet:

The Bloggers.

😊
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:13 pm

With overcrowding being an issue, I'm surprised the "lounge meet up" thread has not been closed yet. Seems like it's just a bunch of leechers wanting free access.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
LAS lounge at 11am today. Was advised at check-in that the lounge was near capacity and that I should take the first empty seat I saw. Upon entering I discovered exactly 1 empty seat. Ridiculous that they were still admitting guests behind me at that point.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ultraboost
With overcrowding being an issue, I'm surprised the "lounge meet up" thread has not been closed yet. Seems like it's just a bunch of leechers wanting free access.
Yeah, but also note that it isn't super active. I mean there are a total of a couple of users in the "willing to guest" part of the wiki and how many of us on here have Platinum cards? Most people aren't volunteering to guest random people in.

Personally I've never posted in that thread to give or receive access, and at the risk of sounding like a dick, if you want access, pay for it or hold the appropriate card like the rest of us.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by mia
My vague recollection of a previous discussion is that these were City clubs, not in airports.
They were.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mia
New York Times article from 1986 mentions: complimentary membership in the Centurion Club, an international network of 25 private clubs . I don't have any firsthand recollection of this feature, but that sounds like access to clubs operated by others, rather than by American Express?
These were private clubs, not airport lounges. A couple of them included hotel rooms, for example in London and IIRC Paris. I stayed in the one in London once, but I don't remember the year.

I also remember some AmEx Centurion business lounge upon arrival in BRU. It was near baggage claim and clearly intended to be used as an arrivals lounge, but I don't think it had showers.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These were private clubs, not airport lounges. A couple of them included hotel rooms....
Did these seem to be operated by/for American Express, or had American Express arranged access to existing clubs?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mia
Did these seem to be operated by/for American Express, or had American Express arranged access to existing clubs?
AmEx had apparently arranged access to private clubs. IIRC some were city clubs while others seemed to be private country clubs with golf courses.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:32 am

I remember from a mid-1980's annual report, a photo of one. If my memory is correct it was above an AMEX travel office.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dpb132
LAS lounge at 11am today. Was advised at check-in that the lounge was near capacity and that I should take the first empty seat I saw. Upon entering I discovered exactly 1 empty seat. Ridiculous that they were still admitting guests behind me at that point.
You might have taken my seat. I got there at 9:30am and it was about half full, by the time I left at 11, pretty close to SRO.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
10:45am this past Sunday at SEA. We consumed the last 2/2 available seats. The remaining 4 were reserved for Centurion card members. Left quickly to hit the Delta club, which has tons of space. Worth the copay for my wife.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Interesting about Centurion clubs in the 80's. I got one of the first Gold cards in 85 and never heard of that feature.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:12 am
mia

Originally Posted by KDS777
...one of the first Gold cards in 85 ...
May have been different in Canada, but in the USA the Gold card was introduced in 1966. In any event the clubs were a feature of the USA Platinum Card.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Others have mentioned supplementary Platinum cards. My understanding is that these are corporate Platinum cards intended for executives, but that some employers (especially in tech) give them to a great many employees.

What is the AF structure for these cards? Are these "AUs" being added for much less than AUs on personal or small business Platinum cards (or even for free)? Or are they paying a comparable AF?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:15 pm
mia

Supplementary cards are simply additional cards on a personal or business account. Supplementary Platinum cards on a personal account are inexpensive ($175/3/year). Supplementary cards on a Business account are more ($300/1/year). There is probably a list price for Corporate Platinum cards, but in practice it would be negotiable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.