Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Adam1222
So I guess we're not going to have a good faith discussion and just keep throwing out strawmen. Cool.
I think a lot of people were triggered when I pointed out it was a massive family with kids (as opposed to a large group of coworkers or friends).

That's actually fine, as the category of the group is irrelevant... just the fact that they are group consisting of one or more non-cardholders.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Wow, 27 pages of increasingly shrill sturm und drang over an airport lounge, of all things.

#firstworldproblems #itsallaboutme
stheller likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Leisure travel-using Platinum Amex cardholders are more likely to drink alcohol at a Centurion Lounge than business travel-using Platinum Amex cardholders, with the former being more costly and disruptive in the lounges? Seems to be yet another case of "seeing" things through the glasses of one's own choice rather than objectively needed ones.

This whole "who is to blame" for overcrowding game pointed at card-using customers is so interesting. It would be interesting to know what Amex is taking away from this kind of discussion.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:01 am

How about this?

Large families AND business travelers who guest in their co-workers are BOTH equally to blame for Centurion lounge crowding.

Just limit access to the cardholder or charge a fee for each guest.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Leisure travel-using Platinum Amex cardholders are more likely to drink alcohol at a Centurion Lounge than business travel-using Platinum Amex cardholders, with the former being more costly and disruptive in the lounges? Seems to be yet another case of "seeing" things through the glasses of one's own choice rather than objectively needed ones.

This whole "who is to blame" for overcrowding game pointed at card-using customers is so interesting. It would be interesting to know what Amex is taking away from this kind of discussion.
Except I already said I myself am a leisure traveler, so your accusation is perhaps greater proof of people baselessly accusing people of motivations that support their views, regardless of reality.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This thread is increasingly make me want to drink some "free" booze. Good thing I'll be at IAH a bit later!
Statman and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This thread is increasingly make me want to drink some "free" booze. Good thing I'll be at IAH a bit later!
Let us know how many road warriors and families are in the lounge.

For data point purposes only.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well...

The balance is that I travel 100 trips a year so when I have a girlfriend, or my kids, with me, I want to bring them in. I can do that at the Admirals Club so I don't really see a problem with that. I don't really care when the family with a stroller and three kids comes in. They don't take up that much room and don't create a line at the bar

I think the problem is that the lounges are too small! Perhaps that will take care of itself when all these people who joined for the bonus but really can't afford $550 a year in membership don't renew.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well...

The balance is that I travel 100 trips a year so when I have a girlfriend, or my kids, with me, I want to bring them in. I can do that at the Admirals Club so I don't really see a problem with that. I don't really care when the family with a stroller and three kids comes in. They don't take up that much room and don't create a line at the bar

I think the problem is that the lounges are too small! Perhaps that will take care of itself when all these people who joined for the bonus but really can't afford $550 a year in membership don't renew.
I wouldn't have much hope of that, so long as there are many cobrand Platinums with bonuses greater than the AF.

I don't get why Amex will approve someone for a Mercedes Benz Platinum a week after he closes his regular Platinum...but they seem to do it often!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Here is a data point ..

im in the lga lounge right now.. I have:
3 guests
4 strollers
2 yuge duffel bags...

just trying to maximize my space to annual fee ratio...
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
when I have a girlfriend, or my kids, with me, I want to bring them in.
What about your wife?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Statman
Let us know how many road warriors and families are in the lounge.

For data point purposes only.
Just got in. I'd say ~75% of the seats are taken. I count 2 children. 0 unicorns. Most people appear to be here solo, or with their significant other.

Hardest part of the check in process is she manually looked up my reservation to make sure I had a confirmed flight, since I'm flying on a Delta Basic Economy ticket my boarding pass says "Assigned at Gate" under my seat, and Amex doesn't allow you in if you have a standby or unconfirmed boarding pass.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Steve M
What about your wife?
Definitely not at the same time as the girlfriend(s)
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Statman
How about this?

Large families AND business travelers who guest in their co-workers are BOTH equally to blame for Centurion lounge crowding.

Just limit access to the cardholder or charge a fee for each guest.
Has anyone said otherwise?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Economics and fairness aside, one reason to keep free guests...or at least give each Platinum member a few free guest passes each year...is to make it socially smoother to bring in guests. I have guested people in who would otherwise make some fuss about not wanting money spent on them.

I've paid the Sky Club guest fee a few times, and it's a little more pleasant when I can honestly say it costs me nothing extra to bring them in, like I can at CL (and until recently, Admirals via Prestige).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.