Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CarefulBuilder14
Economics and fairness aside, one reason to keep free guests...or at least give each Platinum member a few free guest passes each year...is to make it socially smoother to bring in guests. I have guested people in who would otherwise make some fuss about not wanting money spent on them.

I've paid the Sky Club guest fee a few times, and it's a little more pleasant when I can honestly say it costs me nothing extra to bring them in, like I can at CL (and until recently, Admirals via Prestige).
It's also great advertising to lure in new customers - a sample of the product, if you will - who will then log onto Flyertalk to complain about overcrowding.
stheller likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It's also great advertising to lure in new customers - a sample of the product, if you will - who will then log onto Flyertalk to complain about overcrowding.
(my emphasis on your funny)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
So I guess we're not going to have a good faith discussion and just keep throwing out strawmen. Cool.
definitely not when the solution that everyone's been advocating for conveniently is to their personal preferences. It almost feels like 70+ pages of DYKWIA (cue firestorm of how people saying that they're proposing rational solutions...)
stheller, ptownca and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:27 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb9522
Which airports? Maybe I just fly at odd hours, but ACs in particular have always been less crowded for me than the CLs I usually pass through...

SFO
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I just cannot believe that this thread has been going from January 2015 about crowding at an Airport lounge. They are at airports moving thousand of folks daily, not your Country Club where maybe it's a 100 on any given day. If you don't like the crowd in the AMEX club leave. (Its not like AA, DL or UA clubs are never crowded.) Everyone else is paying an annual fee to be there too, so suck it up and eat the food and drink the booze (which is better then at AA, DL or UA club) and stop complaining and enjoy them while you can, before these Centurion clubs go the way of the last Centurion clubs - closed.
When and where were Cent lounges closed? It sounds like there was a previous generation of lounges I'm unfamiliar with.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by sdix
Personally I think the changes should have been:

Platinum +1 guest
Centurion +2 and/or immediate family

Just an observation on my part but I was sitting near the entrance to IAH lounge on Monday and there appeared to be quite a few Plat +2's coming in.

Nobody was refused so either they weren't enforcing the no more day pass or there weren't any.
That would work perfectly for me and seems like a reasonable solution.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by m.photog
That would work perfectly for me and seems like a reasonable solution.
That's sort of the problem with this entire thread - what "works perfectly for" you probably doesn't "work perfectly for" other customers.

Again, it's an airport lounge. Don't we all have better things about which to worry? Funny.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:11 pm

SFO on Thursday. Crowded as usual around 10 AM, but not too bad (open seats here and there). By the time I left around 11:30, started to get more and more crowded. I actually stayed at the Centurion Lounge the whole time because of the United Club crowding...
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that part of the problem with airport lounge guest policies is that receptionist agents make exceptions far too frequently. The extra cute kid is admitted, or an agent doesn't think that children under age X should count or be charged, or some pleasant and well dressed business person talks his/her way into free guest privileges for excess people. The result is the overcrowding we're seeing. It would be far easier to have the rules actually enforced in practice if there were strict no exceptions standards: you can have a certain number (including zero) of guests depending on the color of your card, no exceptions regardless of how young/old the guest is, how little they will eat and drink, how short will be the lounge visit etc. Excess guests can either be forbidden, be charged some nontrivial amount to discourage guesting, or cardmembers can be given Y guest passes per year (after annual fee has been paid, so introductory free card offers never generate guest passes), again based on the color of the card.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that part of the problem with airport lounge guest policies is that receptionist agents make exceptions far too frequently.
My experience when it comes to admittance to airport lounges is completely the opposite of what you describe. The gatekeepers tend to automatically respond with "no".....at times even when one is entitled to enter.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
That's sort of the problem with this entire thread - what "works perfectly for" you probably doesn't "work perfectly for" other customers.

Again, it's an airport lounge. Don't we all have better things about which to worry? Funny.
I'm not all that worried. In fact the reason i checked this thread today is because I heard AMEX was cutting Gold and Green card members off from being able to buy a day pass.

My thoughts were not intended to be selfish but the fact remains that AMEX might need to make changes to their policy based on capacity of the lounges. As a Platinum card holder i don't believe I am entitled to the same privileges as a Centurion. Whatever changes they might make should be as fair as possible and easy to understand and put into practice.

Either way i won't loose any sleep....
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:48 pm

When and where were Cent lounges closed? It sounds like there was a previous generation of lounges I'm unfamiliar with.
Closed mid 1980's.

Last edited by wesheltonj; Oct 8, 2017 at 9:58 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Closed mid 1980's.

New York Times article from 1986 mentions: complimentary membership in the Centurion Club, an international network of 25 private clubs . I don't have any firsthand recollection of this feature, but that sounds like access to clubs operated by others, rather than by American Express?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Originally Posted by mia
New York Times article from 1986 mentions: complimentary membership in the Centurion Club, an international network of 25 private clubs . I don't have any firsthand recollection of this feature, but that sounds like access to clubs operated by others, rather than by American Express?
http://www.nytimes.com/1986/02/02/bu...-glitters.html (I didn't encounter a paywall, hope it's okay to post.)

The article mentions access to a health club in Singapore (questioning the usefulness for the average American customer) . I'm not sure if this was part of the Centurion Club network or not. The article doesn't even say whether the Centurion Clubs were in airports. Maybe some locations were more like gyms, spas, or nightclubs than traditional airport lounges?

Do we have anyone here who actually went to one?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... doesn't even say whether the Centurion Clubs were in airports. ...
My vague recollection of a previous discussion is that these were City clubs, not in airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.