Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by klakhav
I was in SFO the other day and it was standing room only. So many people and I wonder if AMEX need to expand this lounge.
It should get better when UA opens its Polaris lounge.

Unfortunately that's not going to cure people from the terminal self-absorption that is so frequently on display.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Kacee
It should get better when UA opens its Polaris lounge.
I think that's going to have a big effect at SFO in particular.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Huge line just to check in right now at SFO. I don't think I've ever seen this lounge empty.

Only one check in agent to make matters worse.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
I think it might get better if competition from Amex forces the legacy airlines to improve their lounges. Those legacy lounges seem to have improved significantly in recent years, and I'm guessing that Amex has had something to do with that.
Competition from Amex lounges hasn't gotten he US3 airlines' club lounges to improve from being the pits that they were several years ago; rather, it's been competition across the US3 airlines' clubs themselves and the customer-losing value proposition costing the airline clubs paid membership and lounge pass revenue that has done it. The US3 carriers' lounges had become such a pit that they needed to up their game in order to maintain and/or grow their membership base and revenues.

While the presence of Amex Centurion lounges has cut into the US3 airline club lounge scene a bit, Amex was relatively late to the game and is still a bit player by itself; which is why Amex has the Priority Pass relationship.

Unless Amex finds the overcrowding lounge situation to cost it membership and other related revenue, why would Amex invest a whole lot more to alleviate the crowding situation for its customers? It may find it more useful to open more lounges and just put up with the overcrowding unless it really considers the US3 airline club membership programs to be competition for Amex lounges and revenue generated because of the Amex lounges. Are lots of Amex Platinum cardholders ditching Amex Platinum cards because of overcrowding at some Amex Centurion lounges? Until that happens, the crowd situation at Amex lounges may be considered tolerable by Amex, right?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by dhuey
I think it might get better if competition from Amex forces the legacy airlines to improve their lounges. Those legacy lounges seem to have improved significantly in recent years, and I'm guessing that Amex has had something to do with that.
Amex lounges are so few in number that they are not even remotely close to exerting competitive pressure on legacy carrier lounges.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by kb9522
Amex lounges are so few in number that they are not even remotely close to exerting competitive pressure on legacy carrier lounges.
Not entirely fair, as the CL has not put any pressure on 1/3 of the legacy carriers(DL). Outstations aside, one could argue that CLs have put a lot of pressure of UA with west coast and south west flyers with IAH and SFO
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Competition from AMEX isn't going to cause UA to improve it's lounges; the UCs are already overcrowded and I'm sure UA is happy to have AMEX pick up some of the overflow.

The "competitive pressure" that would cause UA to upgrade its lounges is other carriers (particularly DL and AA) taking its high value flyers away. That's the impetus for the Polaris lounges . . . attract and retain the international paid J traffic with a better lounge product. (So far of course execution has, in typical UA fashion, been a total fail.)
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
SFO is absolutely packed. Agent purposefully slowing down check in procedures as crowd control, by her own admission.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by txflyer77
SFO is absolutely packed. Agent purposefully slowing down check in procedures as crowd control, by her own admission.
Another day at SFO CL. I rarely bother going there anymore. I'll go to the UC which has seats, is much quieter, and has self serve soda (I hate waiting in a huge bar line for a diet coke at the CL). The food sucks, but that's a trade off I'm willing to take.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:31 pm

Just got to SFO CL after breezing through T-3 security in < 5 mins! Capacity appears to be ~70%, with some good tables still available. The coffee machine appears operational and I'm gonna give it a shot. Yes, it's chicken again.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JHake10
I hate waiting in a huge bar line for a diet coke at the CL
So do I. But at least you had a line. On my one and only trip to the SFO CL, the bartender was nowhere in sight. ("He has duties elsewhere") I was pretty blanking steamed.
Seabilly and JHake10 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:01 am

I was at the LAS CL on Thursday afternoon and there were like a dozen guests inside.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What happens to Centurion Lounges and lounge crowding in the scenario of Amex buying the DL SkyClubs and acquiring the DL lounge program membership base with it? That would allow Amex to alleviate some of the CL crowding and do some other things.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What happens to Centurion Lounges and lounge crowding in the scenario of Amex buying the DL SkyClubs and acquiring the DL lounge program membership base with it? That would allow Amex to alleviate some of the CL crowding and do some other things.
I don't actually think this would do much to alleviate the crowding at current CLs. The very crowded locations are generally MIA and SFO. I'm not sure what the numbers are like of people going across terminals to visit the lounge in SFO, but I know that it isn't even possible in MIA. I mean, it would make for a much nicer lounge network though.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm not sure what the numbers are like of people going across terminals to visit the lounge in SFO, but I know that it isn't even possible in MIA.
We're only two people obviously, but my wife and I don't fly UA and do regularly cross terminals to visit the CL, even if (as is usually the case) it means we have to clear security twice. We tend to travel pretty light, and TSA Pre-Check and the relative walkability of SFO mean the whole process goes quickly; we only forego the CL when we're really tight on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.