Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by cmd320
I will quite often use lounges on arrival to shower/refresh/eat before heading onward. With that said, Amex doesn't let people do that anymore anyway so for me it was just a bit odd that people actually get to SFO (or any airport) in advance and choose to go to the UA side just to visit the Centurion Lounge as opposed to just getting there at boarding and getting on the plane. I suppose if traffic is a concern and you're left with extra time then that makes more sense.
maybe they have the black card which does allow arrival use
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
I will quite often use lounges on arrival to shower/refresh/eat before heading onward. With that said, Amex doesn't let people do that anymore anyway so for me it was just a bit odd that people actually get to SFO (or any airport) in advance and choose to go to the UA side just to visit the Centurion Lounge as opposed to just getting there at boarding and getting on the plane. I suppose if traffic is a concern and you're left with extra time then that makes more sense.
Even ignoring traffic, I have a friend who often consults in SFO, and his time is committed until 5pm. So he books a 7pm or later flight, giving him a bit of leeway at the office in case it runs over, and some more time in case of traffic.

Some days he finishes at 3pm, so he's at SFO by 4pm. When there's an earlier flight, he takes it. But depending on where he's going next, there often isn't. If your destination is only once or twice a day, what are you really going to do when you finish up in a random city? Why is it so unreasonable to head to the airport when you finish work?

If crowding is an issue, there are better ways to solve it than to deny entry to primary cardholders traveling alone.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Even ignoring traffic, I have a friend who often consults in SFO, and his time is committed until 5pm. So he books a 7pm or later flight, giving him a bit of leeway at the office in case it runs over, and some more time in case of traffic.

Some days he finishes at 3pm, so he's at SFO by 4pm. When there's an earlier flight, he takes it. But depending on where he's going next, there often isn't. If your destination is only once or twice a day, what are you really going to do when you finish up in a random city? Why is it so unreasonable to head to the airport when you finish work?

If crowding is an issue, there are better ways to solve it than to deny entry to primary cardholders traveling alone.
I believe cmd is commenting on folks that arrive to the airport 2 hours early in their local city to more or less have dinner at the lounge, which is very common (and still makes sense depending on what else you have going on that day). For me it is common to finish up work early in random cities (especially Chicago) and to want space to work until my flight. In many cases I have started to use hotel lobbies for this purpose
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You can just as easily make an argument that Amex shouldn’t deny entry to families who are only traveling a few times a day.

Primary cardholders who are traveling every week are still using the lounge more often than occasional families. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer here. Unless Amex starts to look at your individual profitability and assigns entry based on that.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion continues here:

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Last edited by mia; Jan 6, 2020 at 2:28 pm Reason: Replace circular link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.