Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the $50 guest fee which takes effect in 2023 is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2037482-centurion-lounge-crowding-platinum-cardholders-may-pay-50-guest-effective-2-1-2023-a.html

-----------------------

This is a continuation of a four year discussion, which you are invited to review HERE before posting your suggestions to reduce lounge crowding.

Policies already implemented by American Express include limiting guests to two per Platinum cardholder (with no exception for immediate family), eliminating paid guests, and limiting Platinum access to three hours before scheduled departure, with no access on inbound flights (except when connecting).

Ideas already suggested include eliminating or limiting guests, banning guests not travelling in the same flight as the cardholder, limiting the annual number of visits, tieing access to spending on the Platinum card, banning children, etc.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

It would be nice to see a guest policy crafted that mimics the Delta guest policy for example.

- Plat Card Holder (and the AUs with Platinum Cards) guaranteed use
- Guests of any age assessed a fee. That includes AUs who are using a gold instead of platinum card.

As I have said for years I am so flummoxed why Delta and others have figured this situation out, but Amex can’t short of draconian solutions.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1
As I have said for years I am so flummoxed why Delta and others have figured this situation out, but Amex can’t short of draconian solutions.
I suspect there's a younger generation in Amex who focus way too much on social media's vocal minority. In time, they'll learn to ignore it, just as most of us have.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Many would consider a fee for guests to be more draconian than the three hour restriction. American Express has data, they know how many visitors, how many guests, approximately how long they stay, etc. We have only anecdotal observations.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
It would be nice to see a guest policy crafted that mimics the Delta guest policy for example.

- Guests of any age assessed a fee. That includes AUs who are using a gold instead of platinum card.

Most of the blogs and many cardholders would view this as a "massive devaluation" of the Amex Platinum as many cardholders seem to bring in guests.

The Delta comparison is interesting. Delta eliminated lounge access for one card (Delta Gold), increased fees for other cards that give club access (Delta Platinum, Delta Reserve) and instead added Centurion lounge access. Yet no one seemed to give Delta any grief for limiting access while Amex would get a lot of grief
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
... no one seemed to give Delta any grief for limiting access ....
They did when Delta originally eliminated free guests:

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014
Old Jan 2, 2020, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member

It is better that NO body can pay entry. Must have plat or black
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Delta is in the business of selling flights and, to a lesser extent, lounge access.

Amex is in the business of selling credit cards, which provide lounge access as a benefit.

Profitable Delta customers are by definition those who fly a lot and therefore frequent lounge users, but I don't think it's true for Amex. Frequent travel is not necessarily correlated with higher spending, but having to pay a guest fee to use the lounge would be a big turn off.

I would cancel my card if I have to start paying for guests because that would just limit how often I use the lounge. I don't go into the Delta lounge if I'm flying with other people. It would certainly help with crowding, but Amex would also lose customers which is the main reason for their existence.
Gasolin and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.

Last edited by SP03; Jan 3, 2020 at 3:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:03 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
They did when Delta originally eliminated free guests:

Delta Skyclub-- no more free guests, effective 5.1.2014
Delta also backtracked on the lifetime members. (We still get to bring guests in and do NOT need to by flying on Delta.)

The moral is, sometimes if you push back against a big company, you win. (Although in this case it was mostly because of some words Northwest used back in the day.)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by stc
Delta also backtracked on the lifetime members. (We still get to bring guests in and do NOT need to by flying on Delta.)

The moral is, sometimes if you push back against a big company, you win. (Although in this case it was mostly because of some words Northwest used back in the day.)
NOt all lifetime: Flying Colonels. They lost out as it no longer 'the crown room".
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SP03
I would cancel my card if I have to start paying for guests because that would just limit how often I use the lounge. I don't go into the Delta lounge if I'm trying with other people. It would certainly help with crowding, but Amex would also lose customers which is the main reason for their existence.
I don't think they would mind
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by knownothing
I don't think they would mind
LOL...of course not.

A lounge only Plat cardmember's annual profitability is at most $200, once you take into consideration all the tricks to minimize the various credit breakage. Compare that to a cardmember who charges per year "XXX,XXX" whose transactional revenue will exceed many multiples of $200. If I were running Amex, I'd surgically isolate & purge all those Plat cardmembers who fall into the following: 1) never or barely charge on my network, not even with other Amex products; 2) utilizes my lounges with guests an inordinate amount; 3) maximizes every credit; and 4) calls every year wasting my frontline employees times with threatening to cancel and insisting on retention offers.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:07 am

At DFW Centurion Lounge right now and plenty of seats available.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta
I just called to cancel my Platinum AMEX card and expressed my dissatisfaction at the lack of lounge access and the airline credit perk being too difficult to use. They gave me a $500 annual fee credit to shut me up...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Hikmer01
I just called to cancel my Platinum AMEX card and expressed my dissatisfaction at the lack of lounge access and the airline credit perk being too difficult to use. They gave me a $500 annual fee credit to shut me up...
Curious what’s your approximate annual spend? Nice job!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Curious what’s your approximate annual spend? Nice job!
A bit over $10K plus I have a corporate card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.