Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dhuey
I'll keep an eye out for Mom, Dad & the kids getting wasted in the Centurion lounge. I haven't seen that many kids in the lounges, and best I can tell, neither they nor their parents were getting hammered. But I'll have my iPhone at the ready to document it, should I see it. Thanks for the tip.
Of course a "family" doesn't mean that "the kids" are under 21. But, yes, I recommend MIA and DFW if you want to see parents drinking (and grandparents too). Some people continue that cruise as long as possible... (And also note that for many Latin Americans, a lounge stop without a glass of wine is uncivilized, even if they are traveling with children.)
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cbn42
That's simply not how statistics works. Let me give an example.

Group A: 100 plat card holders, each with a family of 5, who brings their entire family to the lounge twice a year.

Group B: 100 plat card holders, each a solo business traveler, who comes to the lounge by himself/herself twice a week.

There are 365 days in a year, so on average, on any given day there will be approximately 0.54 card holders from group A in the lounge, for a total of 2.7 guests per day.

From group B, on the other hand, each person is making 104 visits a year, or .284 visits per day. Therefore, this group will add 284 people to the lounge on any given day.

On any given day, group B is taking up over 100 times as much space in the lounge network as group A.
11 out of 10 people who don't understand statistics would disagree with you.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Of course a "family" doesn't mean that "the kids" are under 21. But, yes, I recommend MIA and DFW if you want to see parents drinking (and grandparents too). Some people continue that cruise as long as possible... (And also note that for many Latin Americans, a lounge stop without a glass of wine is uncivilized, even if they are traveling with children.)
Well, duh, cause it is!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dhuey
The family of four drinks more? Seriously? More than whom? Have you seen some youngsters boozing it up while they travel with their parents? Mom and Dad getting hammered as they travel with their kids?
The massive booze and food guzzling lounge users are more typically the adults traveling without minor children.

Alcoholic business travelers unfortunately aren't all that rare a sight. They surely seem more prevalent in lounges than alcoholic minors and accompanying parents in the lounges.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stheller
11 out of 10 people who don't understand statistics would disagree with you.
This is actually neither statistics nor correct.
The problem is presuming that a family of 4 takes up the same amount of space as 4 individual travelers. But they do not. Individual travelers are more likely to sit at the bar, or to fill in empty chairs at other tables. I've seen groups, though, combine two round tables that could each accommodate 4 people in order to accommodate 6. The false equivalency skews the analysis. If N = space occupied by a single traveler, a family of 4 probably occupies somewhere between 6N and 8N, not 4N.

As to whether business travelers or leisure travelers are more likely to get drunk, it appears we all have different experiences. Obviously, some people in each category do, but in my experience, business travelers are more likely to want to get work done or take calls than have 4 mojitos.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
So I've just read all 69 pages of this thread and to recap:

All business travelers appear to hate the following:
-Children
-Grandparents
-Latin Americans
-rainbows
-unicorns

Everyone else hates:
-Statistics that tell them they are inferior to business travelers

Did I sum it up about right?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rpk113
All business travelers appear to hate the following:
-Children
-Grandparents
-Latin Americans
-rainbows
-unicorns

Everyone else hates:
-Statistics that tell them they are inferior to business travelers

Did I sum it up about right?
Pretty much. Especially those damn unicorns, they drink all of my favorite beer.

Also this thread makes me think of this:

Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:29 am

So... when will HKG make the grand entrance here? From reading the reviews so far, it is just ripe for overcrowding. Oh well, I will probably do the exact same routine as I do at SFO (eat at Centurion, head over to United Club, although the recent UA Lounge situation at SFO is worrisome).
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by radiowell
So... when will HKG make the grand entrance here?
Which kids booze it up more and leave more food on their plates: Latinos or Chinese? Asking for a business traveler friend.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by radiowell
So... when will HKG make the grand entrance here? From reading the reviews so far, it is just ripe for overcrowding. Oh well, I will probably do the exact same routine as I do at SFO (eat at Centurion, head over to United Club, although the recent UA Lounge situation at SFO is worrisome).
From those review websites, it seems the HK's platinum card has a higher set of requirements for those that want to apply. $1mil annual income for the starter. So overcrowding could be due to users from around the world.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
At the SFO lounge now. Already no seats at 9am. Sharing a table with a nice family.

Edit: lounge staff removed the reserved placard for Cents so additional people can come in.

Edit 2: Line for the buffet and for the men's room. Leaving to go to the United Club.

Last edited by JHake10; Oct 4, 2017 at 10:37 am
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
At the SFO lounge now. Already no seats at 9am. Sharing a table with a nice family.

Edit: lounge staff removed the reserved placard for Cents so additional people can come in.
Thanks for the report. As I said above, UA at SFO is going through club closure/temp set up, so that it may make the SFO Centurion Lounge situation even worse.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28887115-post293.html

Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by JHake10

So, what's your guess on the makeup of the crowd?

% solo business travelers
% families with strollers
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
Originally Posted by Troopers
% solo business travelers
% families with strollers
Don't forget % unicorns
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by rpk113
Don't forget % unicorns
And those bratty, piggy, drunken unicorn children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.