Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Wow... this thread is the very definition of a broken record...

Regards
Robl likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by Katlor
I started going to business class lounges (mostly lounges operated by non-US airlines like Japan Airlines' Sakura lounge at SFO and Tokyo) in the late 2000s and what made them so great then (besides the good liquor and snacks) was that you could hear a pin drop. Going into a lounge was like a sonic vacation in the midst of the airport/travel. In the early 2010s I got domestic Delta Sky Club access through Amex Plat and those were noisier but still not that bad. When the Centurion Lounge opened in Las Vegas in 2013 it was as quiet as the old business class lounges, with people sitting quietly at the tables and sofas, mostly single and paired travelers. The furniture was brand new and clean, buffet was delicious, bar was hospitable.

Then quickly everything changed. I guess more people heard about the Centurion lounge benefit and signed up for Amex Plat and by 2015 the LAS lounge and others were a totally different experience, with loud groups of adults and lots and lots of families. I'll never forget being in the IAH Centurion lounge at 5 AM after a red-eye and listening to a child screech every two minutes for an hour, with a Centurion staff member walking over to pointedly stare at the parents hoping they would do something, but they didn't. After that I got a United Club card because even though the Centurion lounges have better snacks and drinks, the madhouse atmosphere that they often have is no longer preferable to a boring domestic airline lounge.
I am going to sound like an evil person but part of me wants AMEX to enforce rules that parents with young kids need to wait in an negative air pressure child area where a mild sedative is pumped in.
FlyingCow likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: DL Platinum/JAL Saphire/Hilton Diamond/Marriott & Starwood Gold
Centurion Cardmember Access

Do all Centurion Lounges have reserved space for Centurion cardmembers?

Are there separate check in lines for Centurion cardmembers at the Centurion Lounges?

Can Centurion cardmembers enter Centurion Lounges when at capacity (waiting lines exist)?

Last edited by michael.mac; May 13, 2019 at 6:11 am Reason: Correction
Old May 13, 2019, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
part of me wants AMEX to enforce rules that parents with young kids need to wait in an negative air pressure child area where a mild sedative is pumped in.
Let's put the tech bros in there too.
ffsim, JHake10, truncated and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
While the Centurion Lounges are nice to have, they are often too crowded and too far from my (largely Delta) gates. I use the SkyClub benefit way more, and I am increasingly looking for Priority Pass lounges in the US. Also I will pay the single entry fee for an AAdmirals Club every now and then and get reimbursed via the Platinum airline credit.

In general, all lounges are too crowded, driven by the good economy and increased credit card signups. The Amex Platinum is one of the easiest credit cards to get. If you want quieter lounges, hope for a recession. The most beautiful lounges were basically empty when I was traveling for work in Asia in 2009.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Here is the simplest solution that will enrage or satisfy everyone.

Make entry to the lounge free for all Centurion card holders. Everyone else, regardless of who they think they are or how important they claim to be, pays an entry fee every single time. Crowding problem solved.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GNALUZU
.... an entry fee...
1. Amount?
2. Are cards other than Platinum accepted?
Old May 13, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Make entry to the lounge free for all Centurion card holders. Everyone else, regardless of who they think they are or how important they claim to be, pays an entry fee every single time. Crowding problem solved.
Gee, how original; nobody has ever thought to recommend this in one of the numerous Cent Lounge crowding threads over the years...

Regards
Old May 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond

I wonder if you see the irony in your statement.
cmd320, Kacee and cuthroat like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

Yes, having the number of Centurion Lounges slashed to two or three would, indeed, solve the crowding issue.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
At least it will give everyone a different common thing to complain about.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
While the Centurion Lounges are nice to have, they are often too crowded and too far from my (largely Delta) gates. I use the SkyClub benefit way more
At SFO, the Skyclub is better than the Centurion Lounge, and not just because it's obviously more convenient to the Delta gates.

In fact, the SFO Skyclub is one of the nicest in the system.
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT

That would mean no Cent Lounges for anyone. I believe some AmEx executive was quoted as saying the #1 reason cited for the AMEX Plat card was the superior quality of their lounges. Personally, for me the reason I have a Plat card is #1 for the lounge access, #2 for the Hotel status, and #3 FHR.

If they pull Cent Lounge access, I will be cancelling my card. I can get Hotel status across the Big Three and luxury hotels for cheaper using multiple cards. Lounges can be obtained using PP partnered cards.

It should only run my $350.

I know I am not the only one that feels the same way. I suspect loss in annual memberships from Plats cancelling will result in a net loss in revenue so great that they will have to close a few lounges. I am sure Amex knows this and have some spreadsheet in their offices whose calculations say exactly that.

COSTCO 2.0
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
That would mean no Cent Lounges for anyone. .
No, it would be a return to the short lived policy when the first location (LAS) opened. It was free for Centurion cardholders, paid for all other American Express cardholders -but- many Platinum cardholders received a number of vouchers for free admission.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
I'd imagine this is still the case, especially in Tokyo.
Not the case for KE's NRT lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.