Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
Sorry, I do not remember. Whichever date is mentioned in the Wikipost is correct.
I was just curious because one Amex lounge access policy change went into effect in late January and was news to me; and since then I was wondering if the lounge access policy change date had been changed or if there was perhaps a phased implementation going on to further restrict lounge access than what I thought was coming in one bite later this month.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No, it looks as if I simply mis-remembered the date when I wrote that post. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If the Platinum card only had an annual fee of $95 a year, similar to the United Explorer card, then I could perhaps see that.... It would be ridiculous for it to be restricted to two visits when we pay $450/year for the card.
Current AF is $550 for personal card, and probably higher next year.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by TravelStar
Another Possibility: Amex could restrict Platinums to two free visits to Centurion lounges per year. After that, paid access only. This is how Chase does it with their United Explorer Card for access to United Clubs.
Amex Platinum is supposed to be a top tier card, one of its main benefits (as of Feb 2019) happened to be the Centurion Lounges, it is inferior in almost any other way to Chase Sapphire Reserve and Citi Prestige, I am guessing most (top tier card holders) people have all 3, and benefits are the only reason anyone will pay for a premium card.
Eventually Amex will have to tweak Platinum benefits as a way to retain cardmembers.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I can see having a Plat plus one of the other two, but why would anyone have all three? And why would people drop the Plat to have the other two? I don’t see Citi or Chase building airport lounges.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You need to be seated in a lounge, drink in hand, before you can manage the Herculean task of ... clicking “change flight” on your iPhone?
1. I don't have an iPhone.
2. I don't know if it was the United app or T-Mobile, but everything was really slow. It took quite a while to go through the change process. And she was not clear at first about what exactly the issue was ("your flight departs at 7, you can't come in" when my flight departed at 1845 (leading to some confusion about that part), with no explanation as to why I couldn't come in for about 30 seconds of back and forth discussion).

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Probably took canadiancow longer to type the complaint than change his flight.
No, see point 2 above.

Originally Posted by SP03
I don't t see what the problem is. Since you were denied access before 3/22, I assume the lounge is getting close to capacity. Amex is enforcing the 3 hour rule when it reaches capacity so that people who have flights within 3 hours can use it.

When the lounge is that crowed, may be you should use the United lounge so you can change your flight in comfort.
It wasn't that crowded. They have signs up everywhere now (as I sit here again, remembering I'd posted this last week, but never followed up) explaining the 3 hour limit.

Originally Posted by Steve M
That's the thing: ANY policy they implement to reduce lounge crowding is going to affect someone, and that person is going to have a "rolls-eyes" crappy experience of being denied entry.
And then they're going to buy a refundable ticket departing sooner, check in to the lounge, and cancel it.

This policy is so easy to get around I'm surprised they bother with it.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I can see having a Plat plus one of the other two, but why would anyone have all three? And why would people drop the Plat to have the other two? I don’t see Citi or Chase building airport lounges.
IMO, the CSR is a much better card. I have the Plat primarily for Centurion access. After $200 in Uber credits and $200 in airline credits, $150 is a small price to pay for Centurion access. It's the only reason I keep the card.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow

It wasn't that crowded. They have signs up everywhere now (as I sit here again, remembering I'd posted this last week, but never followed up) explaining the 3 hour limit.

And then they're going to buy a refundable ticket departing sooner, check in to the lounge, and cancel it.

Which lounge is enforcing the 3 hour rule when it's not that crowded? SFO?

I've not had any problem accessing on arrival even when the lounge is busy, but not at full capacity.

And yes people can buy a refundable tix just to access the lounge. That's not unique to Amex, but seriously though, I have much better things to do in life that to buy/cancel tix just to access a lounge for free food.
krazykanuck and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Living in NYC now the no arrival rule will sting a bit. LGA is never really over crowded, and I have to walk past it on my way out. It's nice to grab some food and a drink before heading home. No issues accessing it on arrival today, or a few weeks ago. Of course in LGA fashion the elevators were acting funky and and UA employee and I thought we were stuck in the elevator for a moment. I left via the stairs though.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Hi!

What about guests which are on a different flight and this flight is departing in 4 or 5 hours from the intended lounge entry?

Do guests have to follow the "3-hours-rule" as well?
Nothing written down AFAIK.

Thanks for help!
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by foxyankee
Hi!

What about guests which are on a different flight and this flight is departing in 4 or 5 hours from the intended lounge entry?

Do guests have to follow the "3-hours-rule" as well?
Nothing written down AFAIK.

Thanks for help!
I've seen someone's guest turned away for being on a different flight (without looking at time of departure). That being said, 90+% of the time if I bring a guest they don't even look at the guest BP.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by foxyankee
What about guests which are on a different flight and this flight is departing in 4 or 5 hours from the intended lounge entry? ... Do guests have to follow the "3-hours-rule" as well? ... Nothing written down AFAIK.
Well, it is written down, indirectly:

guests may not enter or remain in the lounge unless accompanied in the lounge by the Card Member.
When the cardmemeber leaves for their flight, the guests are supposed to leave as well, without respect to when their flight is. So, there's no need for an additional rule regarding checking guests' flights' departure times.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)

Would you actually go through that trouble? Seems overly complicated.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Well, it is written down, indirectly:

When the cardmemeber leaves for their flight, the guests are supposed to leave as well, without respect to when their flight is. So, there's no need for an additional rule regarding checking guests' flights' departure times.
I agree - if anything common sense would need to prevail.

I don't understand why people are so determined to game the system, buying tickets they can cancel, etc. Why not just vote with your wallet and go elsewhere? Sounds like the service isn't for you.

Such entitlement in here. If you feel you have been so legally wronged, start a class-action lawsuit. If you are just upset because they changed the rules to something that doesn't cater to your whims, go elsewhere. Walk. Nobody is holding you hostage. Stop giving them your money. If a restaurant stops serving my favorite dish, I adjust or go elsewhere.

The thread seemed to start legitimate about overcrowding concerns but seems to have devolved into talk of how to "game" the system and about how the world is unfair. Sheesh.
Steve M, Statman, alggag and 2 others like this.

Last edited by DMSFCA; Mar 10, 2019 at 4:53 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum

I said this before to another poster: you seem to be assuming that most people are cheaters, and as a result, they needn't/shouldn't bother with a new rule. I don't think most people are willing to go that far just to get into the lounge. Some people will, but I highly suspect that most won't.
SP03, Statman, krazykanuck and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I said this before to another poster: you seem to be assuming that most people are cheaters, and as a result, they needn't/shouldn't bother with a new rule. I don't think most people are willing to go that far just to get into the lounge. Some people will, but I highly suspect that most won't.
I wouldn't, I'll just find a place to sit somewhere. If the lounge is so crowded that they're turning people away unless you have a flight within the next three hours, then the lounge likely won't be more pleasant than the terminal.
alggag and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.