Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
We have received reports of people here being rejected 10-15 minutes before the 3-hour mark, so it seems as though the lounge staff are not being flexible with it.
Not sure why anyone would want to get to the airport with 3+ hours to spend at a lounge anyway.

I get that business meetings end early, but those same business flyers should have status that allows them to get on a standby flight free of charge anyway. If they don't have the status, pay the $75 standby fee and get home earlier.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Statman
Not sure why anyone would want to get to the airport with 3+ hours to spend at a lounge anyway.

I get that business meetings end early, but those same business flyers should have status that allows them to get on a standby flight free of charge anyway. If they don't have the status, pay the $75 standby fee and get home earlier.
Depending on company policy, these change fees may not be reimbursable. Furthermore, one might have a confirmed upgrade on a transcon flight where the only seat available is 30E to fly standby on an earlier flight. There might not be an earlier flight that's possible (lack of departures, international departure). The point is that there are legitimate reasons where someone might arrives at the airport with more than three hours.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I plan to fly to BCN from LAX but the layover at PHL is 12 hours. When I land at PHL would I be able to access the lounge too or only departure? I heard if you have layover you can usually access lounge
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by happyvoid
I plan to fly to BCN from LAX but the layover at PHL is 12 hours. When I land at PHL would I be able to access the lounge too or only departure? I heard if you have layover you can usually access lounge
Not sure if you can or can't access the lounge for your 12 hour layover. For that length of time have you considered an airport hotel?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As per the policy changes linked to (and mentioned in) the wiki, members with connecting flights are excluded from the 3-hour limitation.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I saw that in the post but even for 12 hour layovers? but doesn't mention time but I was wondering if anyone ever tried it
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:39 am
Suspended

If you don't want to go into the city then best to just grab room at the Marriott which you can walk to.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I saw that in the post but even for 12 hour layovers? but doesn't mention time but I was wondering if anyone ever tried it
No one has experience yet because the rule hasn't been implemented yet!

Currently you can access on arrival.

The Amex lounge is nice, but I wouldn't want to spend 12 hours there. There are so many good places to eat and explore for a long layover. The train leaves directly from the terminal to the city and uber is cheap.

You can go in and take a shower, get breakfast, then head into the city
Statman and krazykanuck like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I don't know about the time limit, but I can't imagine spending twelve hours at the PHL Centurion lounge. It's nice, but not twelve hours nice. I'd go into town and visit, unless the weather precludes that.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
The Wikipost is inaccurate. The access restrictions have been in place during peak times at several lounges since at least December 2018. In January 2019 it was reported that the restrictions will become permanent at all locations, in March.
Looks like I'll be squeaking under the wire for use as an arrival lounge in SEA (March 1). Of course, to me "arrival lounge" means a cup of coffee. Maybe Delta will start contributing to that activity. Gotta get my AF value, even $5 at a time

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I don't know about the time limit, but I can't imagine spending twelve hours at the PHL Centurion lounge. It's nice, but not twelve hours nice. I'd go into town and visit, unless the weather precludes that.
I lived in Philly-area for 15 years and wanted to add to that recommendation. Check out the destinations forum or feel free to send me a PM for a few ideas. The Cent lounge is worth heading to even from the D or E gates but like everyone else said, it's not a 12 hour day. It's not even a 3 hour day.

Last edited by Gig103; Feb 24, 2019 at 10:21 pm Reason: To avoid a double post (to reply to PHL comment)
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:22 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
DFW lounge fail. Confirmed on 9p flight. Listed standby on wide open 6:30p flight. Denied entry at 5p due to 3 hour rule based on confirmed segment. Please, just give me 3 hours same-day then kick me out. Nope.

Posting this from adjacent priority pass lounge, ironically supplied by Amex.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Feb 25, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
DFW lounge fail. Confirmed on 9p flight. Listed standby on wide open 6:30p flight. Denied entry at 5p due to 3 hour rule based on confirmed segment. Please, just give me 3 hours same-day then kick me out. Nope.

Posting this from adjacent priority pass lounge, ironically supplied by Amex.
Allowing standbys seems like it would be inviting abuse. It didn’t matter when there were no restrictions, but standby would be an easy workaround for the 3-hour rule.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Allowing standbys seems like it would be inviting abuse. It didn’t matter when there were no restrictions, but standby would be an easy workaround for the 3-hour rule.
Yup, anyone with mid/high-tier status on most airlines can standby for free on all non-BE tickets. If I were flying, say, SEA-SFO on AS, there's like 20 flights a day and I could just standby to an early morning flight to get into the lounge, cancel the standby once in, and hang out all day there. Seems like it'd be inviting a ton of problems.

If they were to allow anything on standby, I'd presume they'd attach it to the original flight time in some way - e.g. you can only use standby flight time to move your access up by an hour, or something like that, to account for travelers in true "shuttle" markets.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
That's the problem with rules like these though - the people who really want to use the lounge will still find ways to abuse the rules, whereas those who are inclined to follow the rules get screwed. Anyone who could stand-by for an earlier flight could also just buy a refundable ticket and have the BP for access, in the same way that I'm sure some people will abuse a refundable ticket to gain access on arrival.

Min-maxers are always going to find ways to get around the rules. Just look at how far people go out of their way on here just to use a stupid $50 credit at Saks.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by gengar
the people who really want to use the lounge will still find ways to abuse the rules
While there's usually room for abuse with most rules, I think you're making the false assumption that everyone that really wants to use the lounge is dishonest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.