Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SP03
Yes there is one big communal table, but other than that, most tables are not that big. And frankly, most people would feel uncomfortable sharing them. They also have those small round end-table like tables for sofas. They would be way too small to share with strangers.

Amex is not trying to cycle people through like a cafeteria. They want to create an exclusive, relaxing atmosphere. Forcing people to share intimate space is not going to achieve that.
I don't follow. In the post to which I replied, you seemed to be saying that one guest isn't a big deal, since most of the lounge tables are for two people anyway. I was just pointing out that having one person at each table instead of two would, in fact, alleviate the crowding issue, since there would be fewer people trying to eat, get drinks, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
My guess is that median is much lower than 50k. Lots of people are getting it for the benefits and lounge access (esp recently with blog promotions and new credits thanks to competition with Chase). I know big companies with traveling employees offer a credit toward airport lounge access that they can use towards either club membership or a credit card that offers lounge access. So plenty of consultants get the card purely for lounge access.

I'm not a churner, but I put min spend on the Platinum card. I think a reasonable number of base visit is probably 10-20 visits a year, and you earn 1-2 for every 5k spend. So at 50k, you would earn an additional 10-20 visits. Perhaps have a different limit for business card, but for the personal card, I think that's already more than what most people would use it for.
I guess I'd survive on the upper end of that, though definitely doesn't feel befitting of a "premium" card imo...
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Various
I’m not sure anchoring on spend is a good idea for more lounge passes, there is already the hilarity of people doing manufactured spend and trying to game the system.

Give a set number per account, and leave it at that. There would need to be a cap on number that can be used at once too, in conjunction with standard ‘subject to capacity’. If someone knows that they will blow through the standard allowance for their usual travel companions, it’s an impetus for them to consider AU.

Anyone that questions $30 of value at a CL, the choice is totally on them.

Last edited by RichardMannion; Jan 23, 2019 at 8:11 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
But that’s what I’m trying to understand, you deem the DL SC are SEA to be so much better but only if you are flying solo at this point. If you have a guest you’ll opt go for the less better CL? Is the DL SC not worth $29 to take a guest in?
While I'm not the poster you quoted, I generally agree. I think the SC at SEA is far better than the Centurion lounge. But here's the issue. Taking a guest to the SC is $29 cash out of my pocket while the Centurion Lounge is a sunk cost, and for a 1-2 hr layover would I be willing to pay $15-30 per hour for a bit less chaotic space with a similar open bar? So is the SC worth $29 being less crowded and having really tasty mac and cheese? Probably not IMO. My guest and I would suffer with the "hot bites" and the more expansive bar at the Centurion lounge gratis courtesy of my Platinum card.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joe_miami
I don't follow. In the post to which I replied, you seemed to be saying that one guest isn't a big deal, since most of the lounge tables are for two people anyway. I was just pointing out that having one person at each table instead of two would, in fact, alleviate the crowding issue, since there would be fewer people trying to eat, get drinks, etc.
Sorry I read your post wrong. Yes, it would create a more serene sense of "space" but it still wouldn't add more capacity in the sense of additional people to be able to enjoy that space
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:04 am

Sorry I read your post wrong. Yes, it would create a more serene sense of "space" but it still wouldn't add more capacity in the sense of additional people to be able to enjoy that space
For me, the lines for food and drinks aren't a big issue. I would just like to find a seat on my own (not shown to it or have a drink offered and brought to me) with minimal human interaction, sit down, relax, and left alone. And, when I'm good and ready, I can stroll up to the bar for my drink. That's it.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
For me, the lines for food and drinks aren't a big issue. I would just like to find a seat on my own (not shown to it or have a drink offered and brought to me) with minimal human interaction, sit down, relax, and left alone. And, when I'm good and ready, I can stroll up to the bar for my drink. That's it.
This describes nearly 100% of my dozens of Centurion visits, which is why I believe this issue is overblown in the first place.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:46 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Rounding up the responses:

Originally Posted by RichardMannion
But that’s what I’m trying to understand, you deem the DL SC are SEA to be so much better but only if you are flying solo at this point. If you have a guest you’ll opt go for the less better CL? Is the DL SC not worth $29 to take a guest in?
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
While I'm not the poster you quoted, I generally agree. I think the SC at SEA is far better than the Centurion lounge. But here's the issue. Taking a guest to the SC is $29 cash out of my pocket while the Centurion Lounge is a sunk cost, and for a 1-2 hr layover would I be willing to pay $15-30 per hour for a bit less chaotic space with a similar open bar? So is the SC worth $29 being less crowded and having really tasty mac and cheese? Probably not IMO. My guest and I would suffer with the "hot bites" and the more expansive bar at the Centurion lounge gratis courtesy of my Platinum card.
As krazykanuck noted in their reply, it's not that the SC isn't worth $29 to me, it's that it's not worth $29 more than the CL. That's why if Amex changed the CL rules to require paying ~$30 for guests I'd switch my guest visits to the SC; if I'm paying the same amount for either, it's an easy choice (made even easier since the airline fee credit would result in Amex paying for my first six guests at the SC).

I'd pay $10 more for the SC, I think. Not sure about $20.

Originally Posted by mia
If crowding is a largely a problem at peak times, the passes would have to expire on a regular basis, or be subject to blackout dates. Otherwise many would accumulate them to use for summer vacation and holiday travel and create a peak.
The current max of two free guests means that allowing two guest passes per visit wouldn't really be a "new" restriction (though the number of passes would be, of course); is there an issue with people bringing in 6 paid guests now, or is it mostly cardholders and their +1/+2s? I don't know, though I expect Amex does.

Originally Posted by scubadu
And herein lies the problem... you see everyone here on FT likes to propose solutions that "work for them" and somehow magically believe it will alleviate overcrowding. Because for some strange reason everyone in this forum believes their use case isn't the problem. It's everyone else's use case that is the problem. Kinda like 80% of drivers believe they are "above average" drivers. See the irony there?
I don't magically believe that a limited number of guest passes will alleviate overcrowding. As I noted, it wouldn't affect my usage patterns at all...so to the extent that I'm part of the problem (minimal, given that I think I made a total of 3 visits to the SEA CL last year and never with more than 1 guest) I'm certain it wouldn't. Forcing Plat cardholders to pay for guests would remove some (but not all) of those visits; I've gone to the CL after starting in the SC, because I wanted to be closer to the gate during a short delay.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
If crowding is a largely a problem at peak times, the passes would have to expire on a regular basis, or be subject to blackout dates. Otherwise many would accumulate them to use for summer vacation and holiday travel and create a peak.
It's an airport lounge, not a Disney World season pass... Please let's try to avoid things like blackout dates. If someone wants to use the lounge on their holiday travel, they should be able to! Centurion Lounges weren't built only for the M-F business traveler.
Robl likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Honestly, I'd love to see Amex raise the annual fee of the Platinum card (substantially, like say, $750) and do away with all the credits. Then put some actual teeth into the benefits. Go back to focusing on premium experiences that people have to actually pay for, with cold hard cash, not offsets and credits.
I agree. Would gladly pay a higher amount if it means getting a seat in the lounge. The card itself has become too easy to get so would explain why the lounges are crowded.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have used Centurion as arrival lounge, so the new rule will impact me, but I'm fine with that. The crowding at SFO was intolerable and this restriction has reduced the crowds to a tolerable level.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I have used Centurion as arrival lounge, so the new rule will impact me, but I'm fine with that. The crowding at SFO was intolerable and this restriction has reduced the crowds to a tolerable level.
SFO has 4 main terminals (T1, T2, T3, Int'l G, and Int'l A) and only ONE Centurion lounge among them. United has at least 3 United Club locations and a Polaris lounge in T3 and Int'l G. If there really are that many Platinum cardholders trying to use the lounge, Amex can, and should, open new Centurion lounges in the other terminals, or possibly even a second Centurion in the same terminal.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by STS-134
SFO has 4 main terminals (T1, T2, T3, Int'l G, and Int'l A) and only ONE Centurion lounge among them. United has at least 3 United Club locations and a Polaris lounge in T3 and Int'l G. If there really are that many Platinum cardholders trying to use the lounge, Amex can, and should, open new Centurion lounges in the other terminals, or possibly even a second Centurion in the same terminal.
I don't think Amex wants to be in the lounge business. I'm pretty sure it's a huge expenditure to keep the lounge network. They will continue to build them as long as it brings in new and high value card members. However, there's diminishing return to build a second lounge in the same airport.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by STS-134
Amex can, and should, open new Centurion lounges in the other terminals, or possibly even a second Centurion in the same terminal.
I don't profess to know what AMEX "should" do, nor do I see much point in debating it (though I will point out that space is at a premium in all SFO terminals, so not sure where you think AMEX "should" put these three or four new lounges). I'm just glad I can now get a seat in the Centurion SFO to eat my plate of very decent food (coconut chicken yesterday) before boarding a UA flight.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:35 pm
Suspended

I don't think Amex wants to be in the lounge business. I'm pretty sure it's a huge expenditure to keep the lounge network. They will continue to build them as long as it brings in new and high value card members. However, there's diminishing return to build a second lounge in the same airport.
Nor do they want to be in the credit card business. They, like all companies, are in the Making Profit business.
kennycrudup likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.