Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I agree with the rule change. I've used the SFO lounge a few times on arrival, but those visits were of marginal utility. I could have simply gone directly home rather that stop in the lounge. The real value for the lounges to me is before departure and when connecting.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
For Amex, if the overcrowding issue doesn't improve with this recent change, this is worthy of consideration, in my view.

Regarding Centurion members, most I know would rather just find a table on their own, get their drink of choice, with little fanfare/fuss and just be left alone. Not to suggest it's never happened, but I can't ever recall a Centurion member ever making any kind of scene in the lounges.
Centurion members don't have these problems. Centurions are exempt from the access rules as far as inbound, connecting outbound and are exempt from the # of guests. Every lounge I have been to has a Centurion reserved area so getting a seat is never an issue. In SFO and SEA the person at the door usually offers to get me a drink which I politely decline as I can get my own.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The one place I'll really miss the arrival access is at LGA. Because the Club is outside security it's a nice place to stop to check emails, charge devices, grab a bite/drink before braving traffic into the city.

Though with it slated to move after the terminal is rebuilt it'll soon become less of an issue.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
The one place I'll really miss the arrival access is at LGA. Because the Club is outside security it's a nice place to stop to check emails, charge devices, grab a bite/drink before braving traffic into the city.
Same. LGA was the only one I used on arrival with any regularity, especially convenient since if you're flying United or Southwest you almost walk right past (well under it, I suppose) to get to bus/Uber.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
When did the arrival restriction come into effect? Wiki says “January,” but I definitely walked into the LAS lounge for some lunch in the 2nd week of January. Is this a network-wide, confirmed change?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The Wikipost is inaccurate. The access restrictions have been in place during peak times at several lounges since at least December 2018. In January 2019 it was reported that the restrictions will become permanent at all locations, in March.
ffsim likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:31 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Wow.

SFO is 100% full now. A nice lady walked the lounge with me looking for a spot, but none was to be had. But what I found flabbergasting was American Express' response to my complaint. It's "subject to availability". I expected something a lot more apologetic and a lot less legalistic.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
You wanted an apology from Amex because a lot of other people happened to be at SFO tonight?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
SFO is 100% full now. A nice lady walked the lounge with me looking for a spot, but none was to be had. But what I found flabbergasting was American Express' response to my complaint. It's "subject to availability". I expected something a lot more apologetic and a lot less legalistic.
The ladies at the front desk are super nice. They have a difficult job, and I sometimes wonder how they manage to stay so nice.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
You wanted an apology from Amex because a lot of other people happened to be at SFO tonight?
No I want an apology acknowledgement because the lounge is smaller than it needs to be, and because American Express is selling a product that it can't deliver.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:42 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The lounge is full because Amex has so many Centurion or Platinum cardholders (or people paying the daily rate) at SFO. No matter what the breakdown is, that's a lot of revenue coming in for Amex at SFO. If the lounge is this full, they can afford to open another lounge.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
....If the lounge is this full, they can afford to open another lounge.
The problem is that the lounges are full at peak periods, but revenue is more closely aligned with average utilization. This isn't a completely typical situation, because American Express is not primarily in the lounge business, and their revenue is tied to factors that are independent of lounge utilization.

Also, American Express cannot open another lounge just because it chooses, the space has to be available. American Express has demonstrated a willingness to expand when the space is there: SEA, DFW and MIA have all been enlarged.

Nonetheless, cardholder attrition is one way that crowding will be reduced, and if the lounge you use most often is frequently crowded at the times you need access, you should take your business to a provider that better meets your needs.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
The problem is that the lounges are full at peak periods, but revenue is more closely aligned with average utilization. This isn't a completely typical situation, because American Express is not primarily in the lounge business, and their revenue is tied to factors that are independent of lounge utilization.

Also, American Express cannot open another lounge just because it chooses, the space has to be available. American Express has demonstrated a willingness to expand when the space is there: SEA, DFW and MIA have all been enlarged.

Nonetheless, cardholder attrition is one way that crowding will be reduced, and if the lounge you use most often is frequently crowded at the times you need access, you should take your business to a provider that better meets your needs.
True, but this is a scenario where you never really want 100% utilization, even at peak times. Electricity generation and distribution, cellular phone networks, mall parking lots, all fall into the same category. You don't ever want rolling blackouts, people not able to make calls, or people who want to shop not able to find a space. Once in a blue moon is okay, but if it's happening frequently, then it needs to be addressed.

As for Amex and the Centurion lounge at SFO, they already found a way to get me to stop using the Centurion as an arrivals lounge last year: two restaurants in Terminal 3 were added to Priority Pass. So instead of grabbing a bite to eat in the lounge after arriving on a domestic flight, I'll simply grab an order to go at either SF Giants Clubhouse or Yankee Pier.

Last edited by STS-134; Feb 1, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by mia
Nonetheless, cardholder attrition is one way that crowding will be reduced
Exactly so.

As my travel shifts more towards SFO and less towards LGA, the value proposition becomes weaker. When their response is essentially "technically, we don't have to deliver what we promised" the value proposition again becomes weaker. While it hasn't caused me to call and cancel - yet - it is making me investigate the alternatives a little more.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
When did Amex promise you a table at the SFO Centurion?
Steve M and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.