Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SEA (Opened 30 June 2015; Expanded 22 March 2017; Again in 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
New Seattle Centurion Lounge is scheduled to open by August 2022. [Employee response from late May 2022]
From SEA Volunteer Newsletter (Nov. 9 '22): estimated to open in 2023.

Denied Entry/waitlist Date/Day of week/Time:

WAITLIST: May 17, 2019 Friday, 9AM, 10-15 minutes waiting time.
WAITLIST: Oct 9, 2019 Wednesday, 230PM, 15 minutes waiting time.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SEA (Opened 30 June 2015; Expanded 22 March 2017; Again in 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by safari ari
Lounge is implementing a 2 hour prior to boarding policy currently at the lounge to limit crowds. But it seems currently the lounge is only 1/2 full. On a separate note, one of the staff was trying to get wheelchair service for an older woman and could not get through. He came back with a wheelchair himself and took the woman to her gate. Very good staffing and very commendable.
Is this 2 hour prior policy published anywhere? I wonder if that will be on an "as needed" or "at all times" basis.

At 1:30pm Thurs May 25, there was the first wait list I'd seen in many trips to that lounge--even though the airport itself did not seem unusually busy.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by DaveH
Is this 2 hour prior policy published anywhere? I wonder if that will be on an "as needed" or "at all times" basis.
There is a note on the door to the lounge, a page long one, which I didn't even read coming in. From talking to the front staff she said just for today, since it is a big travel day, but who knows if they implement it long term.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I was in the lounge on Fri 5/25 at 6:30 am. While it was crowded, we quickly found a seat. However, they were almost completely out of food items, and there were no glasses or mugs. My companion drank a latte out of a bowl. 20 minutes in some yogurt became available, but there were no hot items or pastries/breads available during our 45 minute visit.
This is my sixth or seventh visit and have never seen it that bad. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I was in the lounge on Fri 5/25 at 6:30 am. While it was crowded, we quickly found a seat. However, they were almost completely out of food items, and there were no glasses or mugs. My companion drank a latte out of a bowl. 20 minutes in some yogurt became available, but there were no hot items or pastries/breads available during our 45 minute visit.
This is my sixth or seventh visit and have never seen it that bad. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
I've never seen this in a couple of dozen visits. While I have seen the crowding, it was never unmanageable. I really like the front desk staff and they are always hospitable.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anyone else annoyed they got rid of the Jones soda? It was a taste of Seattle I always looked forward to. Love that cream soda.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I am assuming if I have the choice of the Centurion Lounge or the Delta lounge around the corner this Sunday morning ....the Delta lounge wins ?
Old May 29, 2018, 9:28 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by david55
I am assuming if I have the choice of the Centurion Lounge or the Delta lounge around the corner this Sunday morning ....the Delta lounge wins ?
In my opinion, yes, DL lounge > Centurion lounge at SEA.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:01 pm

My "Starbucks Experience" at the Centurian Lounge

Centurian Lounge does not allow outside food to be brought into the lounge.

Yesterday at the SEATAC lounge, the person at the door [...] made the mistake of asking me whether their was food inside of a paper bag I placed on the counter during the check-in process. The bag was a full size brown paper grocery bag that was inside of a plastic grocery bags tied tightly at the top (for travel -- the contents were not being accessed). As a result of my answering his question honestly, [he] denied me entrance to the lounge. I had zero intention of opening the bag, which I told him. I then proceeded to watch him check in person after person who came in behind me. Everyone had a bag. He did not ask one other person whether they had food in their bags. One person entered with a dog in a soft carrying case. One person entered with a child in her arms, quite obviously holding a "sippy cup" in her hands (i.e., very openly consuming an "outside beverage"). This person also had an a brown paper grocery bag with them. [He] did not ask any other people entering the lounge whether they had outside food with them. I pointed out to [him] several times that he was not treating me the same as the other people he let into the lounge; that he did not ask any other person whether their bags contained food (presumably a large % of them do); that he let in an animal, etc. His replies were: "I am not required to ask people what are in their bags, but if I know they have food, I cannot let them enter." Well, he asked me what was in my bag, so why did he treat me differently? He also said, "service animals are allowed". But I was standing there and I know that he did not ask whether the animal he allowed in was a service animal. After I pointed out that he was treating me differently than the other people who were checking in, [he] threatened multiple times to call airport security to have me physically removed if I didn't leave the bench where I was sitting in the foyer.

I don't use that lounge often (the C Gate Alaska lounge is so much nicer and also the Centurian lounge closes pretty early at night), but I have used it a handful of times.

Looking forward to terminating my relationship with Amex.

Hey Amex, pull the security camera footage and sew what great job [he] did protecting you from the danger of my tied up paper bag. This occurred at Seatac on June 1, 2018. The encounter began sometime between 7:06 pm and 7:14 pm, so it should be too hard to find it.

Last edited by mia; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:20 pm Reason: Remove lounge employee's name per Flyertalk terms.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:10 pm

https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/...ge-house-rules

" Food and alcoholic beverages may not be brought into, or removed from, the premises."

Pretty clear that means outside coffee is fine, outside food isn't.

All the other pax, you just assume they had food.

It's a free world, you can terminate any relationship to any company, but I don't see anything that [the attendant] did wrong here. Outside food (but not non-alcoholic drinks) aren't allowed according to the FAQs, as easy as that.

Last edited by mia; Jun 2, 2018 at 5:21 pm Reason: Remove lounge employee's name per Flyertalk terms.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
It's a free world, you can terminate any relationship to any company, but I don't see anything that [the lounge attendant] did wrong here. Outside food (but not non-alcoholic drinks) aren't allowed according to the FAQs, as easy as that.
Agreed, and the only reason he probably asked you was because he had a reasonable suspicion to, since as you said it was a grocery store bag. Next time just throw your food into a paper Nordstrom bag and nobody will be the wiser.

But virtually no lounge permits outside food. Could the desk agent have applied a bit more sense if it were clear you didn't intend to consume the food in the lounge, but your post doesn't give me the impression you were working with him "you had no intention of opening the bag" . Anyway, feel free to cancel your card and enjoy your Alaska lounge pancakes

Last edited by mia; Jun 3, 2018 at 8:05 am Reason: Redome lounge employee's name from quoted text.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by jollybear
One person entered with a child in her arms, quite obviously holding a "sippy cup" in her hands (i.e., very openly consuming an "outside beverage").
the horror...
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:57 pm

I just read your link and I agree 100% that the outside beverages don't appear to be prohibited. It also says that pets kept inside of a carrier are permitted.

That being said, I didn't pay $450 for what is generally otherwise a subpar rewards card to be treated this way. If [the lounge attendant] wants to ask people what is in their bags, he better ask everybody. If he did that and people answered accurately, a huge % of customers would be getting turned away at the door.

The fact that [the attendant] has a "reasonable suspicion" that there might be food inside an opaque closed bag is beside the point. [He] is not obtaining search warrants from a court. And a "reasonable suspicion" would exist for many if not most of the people walking in the door (none of whom were being questioned).

If Amex knew what they were doing and I was a "mystery consumer", [he] would either be terminated or severely reprimanded.

Last edited by mia; Jun 3, 2018 at 7:54 am Reason: Remove lounge employee's name per Flyertalk terms.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would pissed off too. By any chance did you think to ask if you could keep the bag behind their desk while you " enjoyed" the lounge.

Last edited by mia; Jun 3, 2018 at 7:55 am Reason: Remove quoted text which identified lounge employee's name.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What was in your bag?

it wouldn’t occur to me that I would be denied admission if I carried snacks for consumption on the flight. I would probably not have anything that is either hot (McD’s) or requires refrigeration. But I have certainly carried trail mix, candy bars, or other similar food items in my carryon bag into lounges.

Probably best if you send your concerns to Amex customer service (twitter?). I doubt that you’ll get satisfaction here on FT.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by jollybear
If Amex knew what they were doing and I was a "mystery consumer", [He] would either be terminated or severely reprimanded.
The guy is just following published policy. It's really hard to fault him for that, even if it's inconsistently applied. Rather than raising a huge stink about it, I'd have probably just walked out, repacked the food in another bag and then returned. For a mystery shop, he'd probably be more likely to get in trouble for not following the policy than enforcing it.

Last edited by mia; Jun 3, 2018 at 7:57 am Reason: Remove lounge employee's name per Flyertalk terms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.