Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum [UK] Card: Was It Worth It This Year?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:09 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If you've got a similar thread for the UK card then that would be wonderful?
I suspect the absence of such a thread is indicative of the value of the programme. Even at 241 (albeit taxes and fees still have to be paid for the 2nd ticket), I doubt paying full fare gives any better value than can be had by other means.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by 21H21J
I suspect the absence of such a thread is indicative of the value of the programme. Even at 241 (albeit taxes and fees still have to be paid for the 2nd ticket), I doubt paying full fare gives any better value than can be had by other means.
I don't doubt it. I gave them one shot a couple of years and laughed like a drain when the quote came back.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:05 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
IAP is another way of qualifying for discounts similar to those available when buying deeply discounted premium class fares, which typically require advance purchase and a minimum stay, plus change and cancellation penalties. It isn't a way to achieve an additional discount on top of those fares. There may be value if, for example, you have the type of occupation where holidays cannot be planned in advance, but for most people here a last minute mileage redemption is much more attractive.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2013 at 8:31 am
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Personal view has always been that it only works if:

a) you have no family
b) your employer lets you book your own flights
c) you want to bring your partner with you on business trips

.... in which case, you're laughing. Useless for the rest of us.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
platinum question

Hello all,

My actual question is whether it really woths it paying the 450 quid a year fee (in terms of rewards and benefits) and signing up for amex platinum. I usually fly 8-12 times a year, one of them being transantlatic. My current income is a bit higher than their eligibility requirement and I already have an hsbc premier credit card (which comes with pretty good travel insurance and the opportunity to earn avios) and star alliance gold status.

What do you think?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:21 am

Personally I'd say the plat card is worth the fee just for the sign up bonus (happy to refer you ), but as you already have star gold you're covered for lounge access and also have insurance.

It then becomes a bit limited from the other benefits, however each year I feel I have my £450 worth without too much effort. The random freebies don't either.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:25 am

What kind of freebies do you get, what's the sign-up bonus and what are the benefits of being referred?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by DrHalxx
What kind of freebies do you get?
Skim through this thread and the uk promotions one and you'll see.

Recently I had a free night at the ME London, £250 eyestorm voucher, played the Achica code for £200 worth of stuff.

It'd also be worth getting in for the Cathy gold status before that expires, handy to have oneworld status as well.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 21H21J
Skim through this thread and the uk promotions one and you'll see.

Recently I had a free night at the ME London, £250 eyestorm voucher, played the Achica code for £200 worth of stuff.

It'd also be worth getting in for the Cathy gold status before that expires, handy to have oneworld status as well.
When does the cathy gold expires? What's the signup bonus? Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When does the Cathay gold expires?
Please read this thread. Discussion of the change in the benefit begins at post 309:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ast-track.html
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:11 am

When does the cathy gold expires? What's the signup bonus? Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by nux
Put your Cathay number in the booking now. Use www.finnair.com and enter your booking details.

Then once checked in, either:
Change to BA on www.finnair.com
Change to BA in the lounge
Change to BA at the gate
Hi
Thanks to all by the time I saw this it was to late. What actually happened was that I checked in and the lady at JfK was no way are you getting two cases. I had to haggle with her to check it with the manager and she came back brazenly saying its ok you can have the two cases. Lounge at JFK was fine (even though I still had my BA blue number in). In LHR they had to change it to the Cathay number but I got them to change it back as I was leaving the lounge.

Cheerio!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by shayele
... I checked in and the lady at JfK was no way are you getting two cases ...
I'm pretty sure that an extra bag when flying BA is a BA status benefit, not OneWorld. I think it's only offered to BA, AA and IB status passengers, though I'm happy to be corrected if not so.

Lounge access OTOH is a OneWorld status benefit and that's why many have found the Cathay Pacific MP status useful.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by Roger
I'm pretty sure that an extra bag when flying BA is a BA status benefit, not OneWorld. I think it's only offered to BA, AA and IB status passengers, though I'm happy to be corrected if not so.

Lounge access OTOH is a OneWorld status benefit and that's why many have found the Cathay Pacific MP status useful.
I've traveled with BA using CX Diamond status and they allowed me and my traveling companions to check an additional piece of luggage over and above the standard economy allowance on a MUC-LHR flight based on my One World Emerald status. BA may well be the one setting its own luggage policy but the BA website has a section that shows additional luggage benefits for OW Sapphires and Emeralds. Sounds simply like an ill-informed check in clerk. Reminds me of the time when I used a DL economy check in counter while FC was dealing with cancelled flight passengers and the agent started telling me she would have to charge me for my baggage without even looking at my frequent flyer status or realizing I was flying on a FC ticket. I raised her blood pressure by calmly telling her I would refuse to pay any luggage fees and having her counter that she would refuse to check the bags before I finally let on that I was a first class passenger....aargh!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks, Russ. Good to know.

For clarity, from http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...frequentflyers
Additional allowances for frequent flyers

Executive Club Gold and Silver members and oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members receive additional checked-baggage benefits when flying on British Airways flights.

Executive Club Gold and oneworld Emerald members

An additional free checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.

Executive Club Silver and oneworld Sapphire members

A checked baggage allowance of two pieces in any World Traveller, Euro Traveller and Domestic cabin for the cardholder and any customer travelling on the same booking (excludes hand-baggage only fares and group rate bookings).
A weight allowance of 32kg (71lb) per checked bag in any class of travel for the cardholder only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.