Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum [UK] Card: Was It Worth It This Year?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
What benefits did you use?
I would assume the lounge access, priority check-in, etc...
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
i got an Accor "member" card through the post today and my status has been downgraded from platinum to Member

Is the Le club Plat only for 1 year then?
Old Oct 28, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Geoggy
i got an Accor "member" card through the post today and my status has been downgraded from platinum to Member

Is the Le club Plat only for 1 year then?
It's an ongoing benefit but it might not automatically renew - a quick call/completion of the form on the website should sort.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
Originally Posted by mia
What benefits did you use?
OW lounge hopping at LHR and HKG, check in priority boarding and baggage return. Flew Y+ on 2 of the 4 flights. It's actually enticed my into seriously considering going J next time!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Received an email from Amex with a £250 gift voucher for Eyestorm. Did anyone else receive this?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Received an email from Amex with a £250 gift voucher for Eyestorm. Did anyone else receive this?
Yes. I've seen it discussed on another thread, and Mrs. W had one come through. Nothing of particular interest to us, but I've bought a gift voucher anyway and will keep an eye on the site over the next year on the off chance something good crops up; or they start selling whiskey.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 4:36 pm

Wondering if any UK Platinum card holders can answer the following question for me:

US Platinum card holders have access to Amex's International Airline Programme which allows them to get complimentary business class tickets with a full fare purchase.

Are UK plats able to access the same service and get complimentary tickets?

Would appreciate any information you have on this!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Just checking you understand "full fare" here. Normally you can buy 2 cheap J or F tix for less than 1 "full fare". So it's only useful if you need the flexibility.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Four questions about the Plat card, if I can:

- Is the CX Gold status calendar-year or year-from-signup? If I get the Plat card this month, presumably the CX Gold status won't expire at the end of December?

- The CX Gold status is for the original cardholder only, yes? Does it leave my wife eligible to upgrade / exit row with me?

- Is there any restriction on how soon you can transfer MR to SPG?

- Do I understand right that the PP lounge access is cardholder-only, but the CX/Oneworld Sapphire access is member-and-guest?

Not trying to one-and-done the card, we have a bunch of travel coming up in the new year and it looks like it should be a real benefit.

Thanks!
- G
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:50 pm
DUS

Programs: LH HON, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yvrgary

- Is the CX Gold status calendar-year or year-from-signup? If I get the Plat card this month, presumably the CX Gold status won't expire at the end of December?
Correct. I got mine last month and its valid till Oct 2014.

- Do I understand right that the PP lounge access is cardholder-only, but the CX/Oneworld Sapphire access is member-and-guest?
Both are +1 guest (with the CX guest option subject to your +1 having a OW flight that day)
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

Rolling 12 month period from sign up date.

- The CX Gold status is for the original cardholder only, yes? Does it leave my wife eligible to upgrade / exit row with me?
If you're on the same PNR, all people travelling with you will have the seat selection benefit. Luggage allowance is different, though.

- Is there any restriction on how soon you can transfer MR to SPG?
If you have an SPG account, it should be possible to transfer within a couple of days.

Priority Pass is for you and the supp card holder, and entitles you both to take one guest each.

Not trying to one-and-done the card, we have a bunch of travel coming up in the new year and it looks like it should be a real benefit.

Thanks!
- G
I thought the same when I took one out for my wife, but the hassle we've had with it so far means I may well knock it on the head once we've triggered the bonus. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't get one, the benefits are undoubtedly useful if you travel regularly.

Last edited by mia; Nov 12, 2013 at 11:42 am Reason: Remove solicitation
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by JonIrons
Wondering if any UK Platinum card holders can answer the following question for me:

US Platinum card holders have access to Amex's International Airline Programme which allows them to get complimentary business class tickets with a full fare purchase.

Are UK plats able to access the same service and get complimentary tickets?

Would appreciate any information you have on this!
It is worth noting that the programs are different between the US and UK marketed cards with different carriers in some cases. Also I think each program requires flight origination in the respective country so the US program is not helpful for departing UK and vice versa if an expat has a card from a different country. You have to call US Plat Travel to take advantage of the US offers and the UK equivalent for the UK program. Similarly, the Platinum Cruise Privileges in US and UK each have a slightly different line up of cruise companies when comparing the UK and the US cards. Thus, is the FHR hotel benefit really the only program that crosses country boundaries and is open to all Plats worldwide? (compared to the cruise and airline programs) I mean I believe a US cardholder in general will receive the same rates and package as a UK cardholder when booking FHR.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
Just a quick update on the MPO Gold benefit - new customers need to have their enrolement applications received by AMEX before 15th Feb 2014. Which I assume means that the benefit agreement expires after that point.

Enrolment in The Marco Polo Club is required to receive all benefits, and benefits may be subject to availability. Enrolment is open to basic Platinum Cardmembers only. Full Terms and Conditions of The Marco Polo Club’s Gold membership can be found at www.cathaypacific.com . Enrolment applications must be received by American Express by 15 February 2014, or they will not be processed. American Express terms and conditions apply. American Express reserves the right to instruct The Marco Polo Club to cancel your membership if you cease to be a Platinum member or your account is not in good standing.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by karaokequeen3
Just a quick update on the MPO Gold benefit - new customers need to have their enrolement applications received by AMEX before 15th Feb 2014. Which I assume means that the benefit agreement expires after that point.
This not actually new, the 15 February 2014 date was published in an advert for the card in the Amex magazine earlier in the year.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
This not actually new, the 15 February 2014 date was published in an advert for the card in the Amex magazine earlier in the year.
Ah thanks - also, Amex Magazine? Not heard of that one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.