Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum [UK] Card: Was It Worth It This Year?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:58 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
I've found the Boingo WiFi subscription useful as it allows access to BT WiFi. Shame though that this benefit is ending in Feb 2016...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by rum
I've found the Boingo WiFi subscription useful as it allows access to BT WiFi. Shame though that this benefit is ending in Feb 2016...
Platinum website states "This benefit is available until 31 December 2015".

I have a call in to Amex, at a managerial level, about Accor.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Raffles
Glad to hear it - this is one of the few properly useful benefits of Plat so really hope they haven't decided to just make yet another downgrade to the card...
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I have just spoken to them and apparently it has been totally withdrawn from the business platinum, but it is still a benefit of the personal platinum card. That being said, Accor are struggling to process new applications so the benefit has been temporarily withdrawn from both card whilst they get the application process sorted out. It will then be put back as a benefit of the personal plat, but not the business one.

*shrugs*
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I have just spoken to them and apparently it has been totally withdrawn from the business platinum, but it is still a benefit of the personal platinum card. That being said, Accor are struggling to process new applications so the benefit has been temporarily withdrawn from both card whilst they get the application process sorted out. It will then be put back as a benefit of the personal plat, but not the business one.

*shrugs*
IIRC it has NEVER been advertised as a benefit for Business Platinum - at least not as long as I have been writing about it (3 years). Carlton and SPG yes, Accor no.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
IIRC it has NEVER been advertised as a benefit for Business Platinum - at least not as long as I have been writing about it (3 years). Carlton and SPG yes, Accor no.
Was a benefit two years ago as that's how I got the Accor status to begin with.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:21 am
Original Poster

I spoke to Accor and they very generously offered to put my status back up to Platinum for another year.

She did go off for five minutes to "look at my account", so it's possible my spend was taken into account (nowhere near the required amount of stays, but still quite a high spend as my regular hotels tend to be the Pullman Dubai and Novotel Clarke Quay).
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:25 am
rum

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC
Platinum website states "This benefit is available until 31 December 2015".

Wow, things really do disappear fast with Platinum.

I wonder if I'll keep the wifi access if I cancel my card?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Some, not all.
On the plat site today:

NOTICE: AccorHotels is currently experiencing a technical issue. Le Club AccorHotels enrolment capabilities will be reinstated once this issue has been resolved. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:57 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I spoke to Accor and they very generously offered to put my status back up to Platinum for another year.

She did go off for five minutes to "look at my account", so it's possible my spend was taken into account (nowhere near the required amount of stays, but still quite a high spend as my regular hotels tend to be the Pullman Dubai and Novotel Clarke Quay).
I got my Accor Platinum renewed again this year - I cancelled the Plat card two years ago, and have never stayed at an Accor hotel.... I'm not sure that your spend had much to do with it!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I got my Accor Platinum renewed again this year - I cancelled the Plat card two years ago, and have never stayed at an Accor hotel.... I'm not sure that your spend had much to do with it!
Mine was renewed for two or three years automatically, but I definitely had a downgrade this year to Gold and she definitely looked at my account before agreeing to put my status back to Plat again.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, OA Gold (in memoriam), Hertz #1 Gold
I cancelled mine, don't think that any of the benefits worth 450 especially when you have free travel insurance from HSBC premier
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Four years in, and even with benefit shrinkage I've yet to have a year where I've not had at least £1000 of value from it.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Four years in, and even with benefit shrinkage I've yet to have a year where I've not had at least £1000 of value from it.
Sounds good Out of interest what have you found to be particular benefits? In previous years I've found the free SPG night, free Melia night and Amex travel credit to be of genuine benefit. Also value the car hire cover and the Accor Plat. PP with free guest handy for me and my parents (as additional cardholder). Some FHR benefits but with other TAs also offering some deals with them it's a bit more borderline on that front. Probably close to £300 in benefits I think in my case, not bad but not as good as I'd like. Of course the MR points from referrals do offset things too and had a superb SQ suites redemption thanks to MR points!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:00 am

Don't forget the travel insurance. Delayed luggage = free clothes. That would bump it up for some people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.