Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted 50-75-100k MR USA Platinum offers going around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted 50-75-100k MR USA Platinum offers going around

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:51 pm

My college age daughter just received the 100k offer - I never get these. What the heck?!!!
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
I received two 100k offers in the mail recently. Finally went and accepted one $3k spend in 3 months for the 100K MR points. (I'm 25 yrs old, over 750 score). No previous Amex cards.

EDIT: Card arrived via UPS express 2 days after being approved.
EDIT: I no longer have the codes, they went in the shredder, sorry!

Last edited by fotoflyer88; Aug 28, 2013 at 12:10 pm
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:58 pm

Is there a targeted 100K offer for the MB Platinum?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I haven't gotten any targeted Amex cards offer since last year, when I got the targeted PRG for 50K.

Anyone have an RSVP code and would be willing to let me use it please?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:28 pm

I just got an email for the Business Gold. 75k Points for 5k spending within 3 months. I really wanted the Platinum or the PR Gold. If I apply for this then does that mean I can not apply for one of those other cards if I get an offer for at least a year? Do they differentiate between Business and Personal Amex cards in that regard?
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:36 pm

My husband just got in the mail a 100k offer for the Platinum, minimum spend $3,000/3 months. Seems like a good deal, except we just did our first-ever AOR a couple of weeks ago, where he got the Amex Starwood, two Chases and and the 50k Citi Aadvantage. Can he apply for another Amex so soon? Did they send this realizing we just piled up? It expires 9/19. Any advice appreciated!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by sfmom
My husband just got in the mail a 100k offer for the Platinum, minimum spend $3,000/3 months. Seems like a good deal, except we just did our first-ever AOR a couple of weeks ago, where he got the Amex Starwood, two Chases and and the 50k Citi Aadvantage. Can he apply for another Amex so soon? Did they send this realizing we just piled up? It expires 9/19. Any advice appreciated!
That question was similar to what I posted. Usually it says in the offer that if you've applied or received a similar offer, you aren't eligible for a full year to take advantage of one again. Or you could put it in your name. I would call and ask.

PS in the event you can not use it. I would love to have it if you don't mind sharing.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mashinhead
... If I apply for this then does that mean I can not apply for one of those other cards if I get an offer for at least a year?
If you apply for a Business Gold card you are not eligible for a Business Platinum, Gold or Green bonus until one year after you close the account.

If you apply for a Business Gold card it has no effect on your eligibility for a personal card bonus.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you apply for a Business Gold card you are not eligible for a Business Platinum, Gold or Green bonus until one year after you close the account.

If you apply for a Business Gold card it has no effect on your eligibility for a personal card bonus.
Thanks
Old Aug 26, 2013, 9:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by mia

Is this still true if you replace "business" with "personal", and "personal" with "business"?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by agp423
Is this still true if you replace "business" with "personal", and "personal" with "business"?
Similar, but not identical. For purposes of this explanation a personal charge card refers to a Zync, Green, Gold or Platinum card. (Co-branded charge cards, such as those issued through Fidelity, Goldman Sachs, Mercedes, or Morgan Stanley are treated differently. Credit cards are an entirely separate matter.)

If you apply for a personal charge card you not eligible for a bonus on any personal charge card until you cancel it. The wait after cancellation is one year for the same card, but only 90 days for a different color.

If you apply for a personal charge card it has no effect on eligibility for a business card bonus.

This summary is no substitute for reading the terms of a specific offer. American Express does alter its terms, and the trend is to make it more difficult to churn charge cards.

Last edited by mia; Aug 26, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:36 am

Got an email for a Business Gold 75k/$5k/3mos offer yesterday. Not sure I want to jump on this as I'm not too keen on business cards (since I don't have an actual business) and I've heard the Business Gold is a magnet for financial reviews.

Last edited by kdoughboy; Aug 26, 2013 at 10:44 am
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Got an email for a Business Gold 75k/$5k/3mos offer yesterday. Not sure I want to jump on this as I'm not too keen on business cards (since I don't have an actual business) and I've heard the Business Gold is a magnet for financial reviews.
Good to know. Is it even possible to apply for a business card if you do not have a business?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:31 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mashinhead
... possible to apply for a business card if you do not have a business?
Yes. American Express and other banks like issuing business cards because the accounts are not subject to the same consumer protection regulations as personal accounts. They still must go though the ritual of verifying that the account will be used for business purposes, but they won't press very hard.

Primarily, American Express wants evidence that your income will support your level of spending. (A track record of on time payments shows only a willingness to pay, not the ability to continue.) They don't like to see large amounts of reimbursable business expenses on employee personal accounts, because they cannot assess the employer's ability to reimburse. They don't like to see large purchases of cash equivalents (i.e. instruments that can be converted to money with little loss in value).
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:26 am

I got a 75K on in the mail too and lost it any chance you can forward me your RSVP code. Amex won't do the offer without it. I really appreciate you help either way. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.